List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
A lot of water to go under the bridge but interesting to look at the current draft order.

View attachment 1962889

I am expecting the bottom 4 to look much like this come seasons end. Of those 4, I can see Hawks, Tigers and Eagles all happy to stick and pick an elite midfielder. Norf are the ones likely to be interested in trading back and could be open to offers since they desperately need talls and the talls this year will not be in the top 10.

The Crows are likely to be improve their ladder position but I expect their first pick to be around 10 - therefore Draper is likely off the board. Will the R1 be used on Petty (expect something back) or will they trade up for Draper (adding to their F/S in Welsh) and hence double down on the midfield?

Of the clubs holding multiple early picks : -
Freo have their own, Pies and Ports R1 picks and whilst they hold 3 picks, I see them all in the double figures. Will the purples be pie in the sky trying to get Logan or will they get a reality check? Do they trade up to get an elite mid - Smillie to replace Fyfe is tempting!

Suns will be sluts again with 3 early picks and hopefully the AFL tweak the rules and make them pay up more for the academy prospects. That said, I expect to see them bank points for next year which looks like a stronger academy pool for them plus get a pick in before Lombard.

Dogs do not have a first round pick but Smith is reportedly all but checked out. I expect a future first on offer from Hawks and Pies while the Cats can offer a current R1.

It probably doesn’t happen without losing a decent player via trade but I’d love for us to have a go (again) at trying to get 2x top 10 picks in the draft.

We still need talent almost everywhere (KPF maybe the one area Ruck possibly as well - but I doubt we would pass up an elite KPF if that was the obvious player at a pick we have).

Getting a highly rated outside or balanced mid, and another highly rated player (another mid, a HBF or a small Forward ideally) in the top 10 would further accelerate the build

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ESPN have done an early ranking of the 2024 draft and without exception, they are all midfielders.

1. Jagga Smith - VM
2. Finn O'Sullivn - VC
3. Josh Smillie - VM
4. Syd Draper - SA
5. Levi Ashcroft - Lions F/S and hopefully they have to properly pay for him this year
6. Christian Moraes - VM
7. Tyler Welsh - Crows F/S
8. Sam Lalor - VC
9. Leo Lombard - Suns academy
10. Tom Gross - VM

In discussions late last year with Monocle and Eastcoasteagle, the playing style comparison for Jagga Smith was Josh Kelly while both O'Sullivan and were more like Sam Walsh. Smillie was seen as a Patrick Cripps.

I have seen more of Smillie and FOS being touted as top 2 in a number of other forums so one of these 3 looks good. My personal preference is one of Smith or O'Sullivan. I think we are a lock for a bottom 3 finish and who the flock knows what Norf will do as they surely cannot go for another midfielder (again and again and again)

For anyone thinking that Smith being a Vic Metro is a mummy's boy and a flight risk, here he is with Harley in 2017 in Darwin in the U12 Vic team (along with the Wizard)
View attachment 1962849

And the trio again at the 2023 carnival.

View attachment 1962850

Smith's father was from Tassie and drafted by Collingwood in 1988 but did not play seniors (strong Pie's line up in that period - Premiers in 1990). Therefore although Jagga was born in Melbourne, I would think there are less extended family to hold back. In a recent HUN article, he mentions his friendship with Harley. He also mentions his role this year will be more forward based as he had been given feedback he will be better having 2 strings to his bow. In 2023 and again this season, we have seen he can play as a balanced midfielder. Can he now become a consistent goal scorer?

Smith has left school already and it will be interesting to see what he can do in what will essentially be a full time football role (minus the pay check)

I will be watching his development this year big time.

VIC Metro
Dad from Tassie
Coming out of contract just as Tassie entering comp
Friends with Harley
Fills a need
Compliments out mids

3709d8757dd27bdb269cb6b1ef487f9e.jpg

ESPN have done an early ranking of the 2024 draft and without exception, they are all midfielders.

1. Jagga Smith - VM
2. Finn O'Sullivn - VC
3. Josh Smillie - VM
4. Syd Draper - SA
5. Levi Ashcroft - Lions F/S and hopefully they have to properly pay for him this year
6. Christian Moraes - VM
8. Sam Lalor - VC
10. Tom Gross - VM

In discussions late last year with Monocle and Eastcoasteagle, the playing style comparison for Jagga Smith was Josh Kelly while both O'Sullivan and were more like Sam Walsh. Smillie was seen as a Patrick Cripps.

I have seen more of Smillie and FOS being touted as top 2 in a number of other forums so one of these 3 looks good. My personal preference is one of Smith or O'Sullivan. I think we are a lock for a bottom 3 finish and who the flock knows what Norf will do as they surely cannot go for another midfielder (again and again and again)

For anyone thinking that Smith being a Vic Metro is a mummy's boy and a flight risk, here he is with Harley in 2017 in Darwin in the U12 Vic team (along with the Wizard)
View attachment 1962849

View attachment 1962850

Smith's father was from Tassie and drafted by Collingwood in 1988 but did not play seniors (strong Pie's line up in that period - Premiers in 1990). Therefore although Jagga was born in Melbourne, I would think there are less extended family to hold back. In a recent HUN article, he mentions his friendship with Harley. He also mentions his role this year will be more forward based as he had been given feedback he will be better having 2 strings to his bow. In 2023 and again this season, we have seen he can play as a balanced midfielder. Can he now become a consistent goal scorer?

Smith has left school already and it will be interesting to see what he can do in what will essentially be a full time football role (minus the pay check)

Does FOS have a similar inside contested game as Walsh?

I was leaning to him being closer to a Whitfield type mid, smooth mover, good kick can play in or outside or even off halfback as he develops.

VIC Metro
Dad from Tassie
Coming out of contract just as Tassie entering comp
Friends with Harley
Fills a need
Compliments out mids

3709d8757dd27bdb269cb6b1ef487f9e.jpg
You do realise he also has a basketball background!

Now that you are telling me no, I am thinking it must be the right choice. Usually when you say left, I look right and vice versa. Thanks for confirming my post.

You do realise he also has a basketball background!

Now that you are telling me no, I am thinking it must be the right choice. Usually when you say left, I look right and vice versa. Thanks for confirming my post.

Where did I say no?

Think you need to put your glasses on and have another look, grandpa

Why have you put a line through Baker?

He came to us as a scrawny cat B rookie and it improving every week .

Watching the wafl he does some good things . He has some class with his ball movement and is hard at it when it’s his turn to go .
In short: List management. I can’t see us cutting deeply enough from the main list to have less than the full 38 spots occupied after draft/trade. I’d actually prefer 37 and have a spot for 2025 MSD (or SSP if there’s something there we like) without “relying” on a LTI. That leaves 6 rookie spots.

I’m expecting us to transfer a player to LTI injury list to take a player (hopefully Hopkins) in this year’s MSD. Maric and Culley will be retained. That leaves 3 spots. Rawlinson, Livingstone and Dewar are all ahead of Baker IMO. If we want to take another rookie at the end of this year we’ll have to cut one of those 3 too.

Does FOS have a similar inside contested game as Walsh?

I was leaning to him being closer to a Whitfield type mid, smooth mover, good kick can play in or outside or even off halfback as he develops.
At the same age, Finn is more contested imo.

He's a very well rounded player.

Similar in some ways to Whitfield I guess, maybe not as deadly on the outside with his run and ball use, but he has a harder edge to him and marks very well above his head.

He's who I'd like at this early stage

Anyone remember what picks GC turned their pick 4 from last year in to?

Could it be a good idea to keep splitting our 1st as they did and get like 4-5 picks inside 30ish??

Could it be a good idea to keep splitting our 1st as they did and get like 4-5 picks inside 30ish??
i think recent offseasons are showing the benefits of taking the top talent available.
Eagles were devoid of high talent for so long, not sure i like the idea that we should trade out of such a position.

They turned pick 4 into pick 3 and about 5 other picks inside 30ish!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think recent offseasons are showing the benefits of taking the top talent available.
Eagles were devoid of high talent for so long, not sure i like the idea that we should trade out of such a position.
I mostly agree.

I wouldn't have done it last year, but this year looks different, it's very even imo. We also have a lot of holes to fill.

Will be something they'll be thinking about for sure

1. Jagga Smith - VM
2. Finn O'Sullivn - VC
3. Josh Smillie - VM
4. Syd Draper - SA
6. Christian Moraes - VM
8. Sam Lalor - VC
10. Tom Gross - VM

View attachment 1962849

View attachment 1962850

Starting to sound like it’s hard to go wrong with one of the top 4 mids (excluding Ashcroft) which is good so we’re not disappointed come draft night.

Smillie probably the least required but sounds a tantalising prospect.

EC3695E6-65B4-4062-87E7-B5B1B72B15D3.jpeg

052E1695-171C-4CF6-B4AF-8CBDD0C3B77F.jpeg

They were the two main trades and they kept trading back later into the draft because they needed points

If we considered trading pick 4 for picks then based on what the Suns did we could theoretically turn pick 4 (plus 46,51 and a F3) into 14,17,27,35 and a F1

Picks 14 and 17 were pushed back to 18 and 23 on draft night

I’m keeping pick 4

I mostly agree.

I wouldn't have done it last year, but this year looks different, it's very even imo. We also have a lot of holes to fill.

Will be something they'll be thinking about for sure
yeah but the likelihood of trading down and staying in the top 5 is fanciful at best.
if a situation arises where we can still stay in the top echelon because someone just below us is desperate for a specific player, then sure. but if it means going down to 10 or something. meh, rather stay put.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back