AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Brunton,

When he doesn't turn into a Leigh Matthews, Luke Hodge, Wayne Carey, Darren Jarman hybrid they are gonna turn on him with much spite.

A teacher at Brighton Grammar told me that the choir was going under due to lack of numbers last year so Andy joined it and saved the day.
Then all the rest of the footy boyz went 'Andy's joining the choir, he's good at footy, let's join the choir!'.
What a little QT sweetheart.
That's a great story but the reality is the choir would have sounded terrible with 22 Brighton Grammar footy players singing baritone. I'm having Kernahan flashbacks.

A teacher at Brighton Grammar told me that the choir was going under due to lack of numbers last year so Andy joined it and saved the day.
Then all the rest of the footy boyz went 'Andy's joining the choir, he's good at footy, let's join the choir!'.

Bless his little singing cherub lips.

Andy confirmed this when he was on the footy show a while back. Would have been cooler if he did it to snag a chick like in American Pie..

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really excited about the prospect McGrath, Parish and Merrett heading into this preseason in good health. If they can keep building their bodies and tanks we will have a midfield that can run teams off their legs which isn't something we have had in 15 plus years...

Interestingly enough there were more noms for 2nd and 3rd year players this year than for 18 year olds from the last intake.

Think it's a massive double standard, it should be for first year players only regardless of age.

Posted previously there should be two awards - One for first year players and a second award for players under the age of 21.

Posted previously there should be two awards - One for first year players and a second award for players under the age of 21.
There are.

Andy won them both.

Against the grain with this but feel he would be better served playing his second year mostly in defence. A very good offensive player with a deffensive mindset is worth more than any goal kicking midfielder.

A Brodie Smith is more valuable than a Rory Sloane to the Crows outfit, a player like Dustin Martin is an exception to the rule.

For what it's worth, he should spend some time running on the ball, but for the most part, he'll spend it in defence.

Against the grain with this but feel he would be better served playing his second year mostly in defence. A very good offensive player with a deffensive mindset is worth more than any goal kicking midfielder.

A Brodie Smith is more valuable than a Rory Sloane to the Crows outfit, a player like Dustin Martin is an exception to the rule.

For what it's worth, he should spend some time running on the ball, but for the most part, he'll spend it in defence.

I see the point you are trying to make but we were crying out for mids that run both ways this year. He and parish are that type. He will certainly be a loss to the back 6 though

Out of contract and managed by Connors

giphy.gif

Latest HSun article (subscribers only)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/d7a8982002d145c1f053fde82448793f

Andrew McGrath waiting for a better contract offer from Essendon

ADRIAN Dodoro’s final challenge after a masterful trade period for Essendon is to find the money for a contract extension for Andrew McGrath.

McGrath, 19, won this year’s Rising Star in a superb season that he hopes will set him up for a move to the wing in 2018.

The classy half-back and Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage are the only players from last year’s top 10 picks not to re-sign.

Talks over McGrath’s extension were put off by mutual agreement mid-year after the Dons’ modest initial offer.

The cost of a likely two-year extension is the only haggling point for McGrath’s management and Dons list manager.

The Dons have picks 48 and 67 in next month’s national draft. Jackson Merrett is likely to be delisted and Ben Howlett is hopeful of a one-year deal.

Last year’s overall No.1 pick McGrath told the Herald Sun in Grand Final week he wanted to end his career asbe a one-club player.

His manager Robbie D’Orazio, of Connors Sports, said then that talks to extend a deal past 2018 would soon heat up.

“He won the Rising Star, he was voted the best first-year player by the players, he played 20 of 22 home-and-away games and a final and he’s a special talent,’’ he said.

“So he’s a special talent and an impressive young man and I am sure we will be able to sit down early in the new year to look to extend his contract.”

Out of contract at Essendon are Josh Green, who kicked 17 goals in 17 games, and Shaun McKernan, who played three senior games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back