Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

The way he ran all the way from half back with out getting the ball until he was up at half forward and kicked too Guelfi is what we haven’t seen from his game till then. Before he would of stopped running

Ah, as I mentioned above, this was the bit of play. He was directing where each player with the ball should go before getting the last handball. Superb footy brain.

Which is more likely to happen?

1/ Hurley to get back this year.

2/ Francis (and Gleeson) to keep getting better each week such that we don’t miss/need Hurls?

Was huge.

Had moment's in the game when he was sucking in air but every time he had to go he went and he went ******* hard.

There was a great moment when he was giving s**t to Jenkins in the goal square after one of our goals as well because Jenkins squibbed a contest allowing Francis to mark and start the chain toward our goal.

That pass to Guelfi (iirc) was immense. Genuinely busted his ass despite looking ****** as. Pretty sure he had 3 possessions in the chain to.

Another thing worth mentioning over the last 3 or 4 weeks is how many third up spoils he has been making. Is working into some really good form.

Is this a change in role thing, personell issue or just genuine improvement and understand/maturity from the man himself?

Really enjoying watching him come over the top and kill the contest. Doesn't make limp attempts either which is pleasing from a bloke that's 6'4"

Francis (and Gleeson) to keep getting better each week such that we don’t miss/need Hurls?
I think we were already there against the crows, I don't think it was coincidence that we scored record amounts from the back half while Hurley was absent. I don't think we would have beaten the crows if he was playing, his slow decision making and slow defensive chip kicking would cost us in the transition.

I think we were already there against the crows, I don't think it was coincidence that we scored record amounts from the back half while Hurley was absent. I don't think we would have beaten the crows if he was playing, his slow decision making and slow defensive chip kicking would cost us in the transition.
You’ve gotta be joking

Reckon he's still only been solid, which is good.

He hasn't really stamped himself on a game in the air this year.

There has been a noticeable improvement in some of his defensive work. Agree with those who have said that the injury to Hurley has been a bit of a blessing, at least for Francis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really just a coincidence this happens?

Super-talented young players are given decent stints in the seniors, IN their proper position.

And what do you know, they start to thrive.

“Play the kids” is actually a thing and the more talented they are, the quicker they can come on.

And yeah, of course you need to put up with the odd quiet game at times. But that’s hardly the point.

Far too often I think we fall into the “make them earn it”, or “you can’t play them yet, what about the message it sends!” (that “message” crap is the worst for mine, its professional footy ffs, not a primary school game).

It was clear as day last year that Francis was a capable AFL backman (and possible something very special) who we need to get as many games into as an absolute priority.

Keep it coming please.

Is this a change in role thing, personell issue or just genuine improvement and understand/maturity from the man himself?

Really enjoying watching him come over the top and kill the contest. Doesn't make limp attempts either which is pleasing from a bloke that's 6'4"
Think he has simply been building into good form.

giphy.gif

Reckon he's still only been solid, which is good.

He hasn't really stamped himself on a game in the air this year.

There has been a noticeable improvement in some of his defensive work. Agree with those who have said that the injury to Hurley has been a bit of a blessing, at least for Francis.

A cross between his last two games at Adelaide Oval would be close to a perfect game.

I think moving forward Hurley needs to take a back seat to this guy & focus on being more of a lock down defender. He’s far more damaging with ball in hand than Hurley is now & they need to start playing through him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back