Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

How often does he get shouted out (particularly by young players) for his leadership? I don’t know if I’ve heard a North player in the media not give him some sort of praise for it. Never hear it for LMac

That Sheezel article this morning was very telling in this regard.

It was almost poetic the way the young midfield he mentored and patiently waited for all linked up in our best piece of play for years and delivered the ball to him in a way we haven’t seen for a long time.
1711182261239.jpeg

Great game by the skipper.

I have to say it though, that set shot he missed right in front to put us more than 6 goals up hurt.
Durrsma then hit the post and Larkey missed a straight forward attempt and Freo kicked 9 in a row.

Not going to hang the bloke but f*** me, the margin gets above 40 and Freo isnt coming back to win s**t.

Really liked him up forward. Good one v. one and his agility is a standout.

As the captain, has to nail the second goal.

He started out in the fwd line, was inconsistent, got into the middle and now look set to be fwd again in later stages of career.

I have to say it though, that set shot he missed right in front to put us more than 6 goals up hurt.
Durrsma then hit the post and Larkey missed a straight forward attempt and Freo kicked 9 in a row.

Not going to hang the bloke but f*** me, the margin gets above 40 and Freo isnt coming back to win s**t.

No, we still would've lost even if 46 up due to our inability to play tempo footy

He instinctively knows how to play half-forward with his positioning, leading and separation and he looks for opportunities to hit/hammer opponents trying to calmly exit d-50. Not many can play half-forward well but he can, even though he'll miss a few goals.

Out of curiosity, if some day we win the premiership...Are both co-captains gonna lift the cup with Clarko? I'm trying to picture how three guys are suppose to hold a trophy and it not look goofy.
I am imagining Jy and Al holding from each handle and Luke with that smile of his hoisting it up with two outstretched arms from underneath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a fantastic return considering his concussion history. Tough as nails and commands the HFF/MID role.
Really like this new role for him

Has the tank to work up and back and get his opponent on transition

And is smart to know how to stay involved

Agree. Then he didn’t make the distance in the last before setting up Powell just after.

I like him forward. So there’s that.

But when we played the pies in the praccy he had 2 set shots and didn’t look like getting close.

Needs to work on his conversion if he’s going to be playing forward.

Should be sole Captain

He is a natural leader.

LMac VFL Captain

Question King Sheezel

You liked this post just now on the Lmac thread

Yeah, honestly, with all of his ‘experience’ I would have thought McDonald could have done a better job of steadying the ship when things were getting sloppy, shots were going wayward and no one was manning up. Even when going into the half time break.

So you’re saying Lmac should be blamed for things getting sloppy, missed goals, and no one manning up.

But Jy should not share the blame? Should Lmac be blamed for Jy missing that goal in the second.

Have I got this right?

Question King Sheezel

You liked this post just now on the Lmac thread

Yeah, honestly, with all of his ‘experience’ I would have thought McDonald could have done a better job of steadying the ship when things were getting sloppy, shots were going wayward and no one was manning up. Even when going into the half time break.

So you’re saying Lmac should be blamed for things getting sloppy, missed goals, and no one manning up.

But Jy should not share the blame? Should Lmac be blamed for Jy missing that goal in the second.

Have I got this right?

Yes.

I've never liked McDonald and the sooner he leaves the better.

Weird question but does anyone know what glove this is/was?

Weirdly find myself with the exact same injury, the exact same time out from round 1, lol.
He hasn't worn it in any of the games since this report.

As a captain he definitely doesn’t take the opportunity to show leadership when we need him to. Missed 2 or 3 gettable shots today at times when we really needed him to slot them.

Also had a s**t, low efficiency game. Don’t think he’s anywhere near our best midfield group at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back