Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that’s the first time I’ve ever noticed Jimmy Webster on the footy field. Look him up and he’s 30yo with 130 games. Crikey.

Hopefully can just avoid the concussions.
Logged on to this thread and this post came up as the most recent post since I’d been on here. Don’t want to lose our captain. Cowardly acts like this need to be hit with the highest possible penalty.

Absolute dog act!!!

Does anyone have access to the Herald Sun Article?

Jimmy Webster’s family reacts to Saint’s huge bump on North star Jy Simpkin​

Jimmy Webster’s hit on Jy Simpkin caused a firestorm of reaction on social media and in a series of deleted social media posts, Webster’s family defended the under-fire Saint.
Sam Landsberger Sam Landsberger
Follow

@samlandsberger

less than 2 min read
March 3, 2024 - 10:37PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

00:43
Jimmy Webster's grim hit flattens Jy Simpkin

AFL: Kangaroo Jy Simpkin was left worse for wear after a sickening hit from St Kilda's Jimmy Webster in the first quarter at RSEA Park.

Not everyone appeared to be disappointed with Jimmy Webster’s bump on North Melbourne star Jy Simpkin, especially his family.
In a series of Facebook comments, Webster’s siblings did not join the pile on.
One of Webster’s sisters, Maddi Webster, shared footage of the incident and wrote: “Oh Jimmy” followed by a laughing and face palm emoji.
Another sister, Alysha Webster, commented “Goodnight” on the post. The hit left Simpkin with a concussion, which was his third in the past 12 months.
Deleted Facebook comments from Jimmy Webster’s family.

Jimmy’s younger brother, Jay Webster, wrote: “Fair bump play on”.
The comments have since been deleted, but were obtained by the Herald Sun.
Maddi and Jay Webster also ‘laugh reacted’ to comments from North Melbourne supporters who called for retribution on the club’s social media account.
Maddi Webster’s profile says she works at RSEA Safety, which is a key sponsor of the Saints and holds naming rights to the club’s Moorabbin base.

Jimmy Webster’s hit on Jy Simpkin caused a firestorm of reaction on social media and in a series of deleted social media posts, Webster’s family defended the under-fire Saint.
Follow
@samlandsberger

less than 2 min read

AFL: Kangaroo Jy Simpkin was left worse for wear after a sickening hit from St Kilda's Jimmy Webster in the first quarter at RSEA Park.

Not everyone appeared to be disappointed with Jimmy Webster’s bump on North Melbourne star Jy Simpkin, especially his family.
One of Webster’s sisters, Maddi Webster, shared footage of the incident and wrote: “Oh Jimmy” followed by a laughing and face palm emoji.
Another sister, Alysha Webster, commented “Goodnight” on the post. The hit left Simpkin with a concussion, which was his third in the past 12 months.

Maddi and Jay Webster also ‘laugh reacted’ to comments from North Melbourne supporters who called for retribution on the club’s social media account.
Maddi Webster’s profile says she works at RSEA Safety, which is a key sponsor of the Saints and holds naming rights to the club’s Moorabbin base.

Hah good on you Sam. F* 'em

Follow
@samlandsberger

less than 2 min read

They didn't defend s**t. To claim so is disingenuous. They laughed at their brother knocking an opposition player out.
And the sister works for a saints major sponsor? That doesn't sound half nepotistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jy was one of my favorite non-Dogs players to watch, really hope he bounces back from this. Concussion is hell, have been through it myself.

As for Websters family comments, completely sickening the lack of empathy shown.

Jimmy Webster still exists? Had no idea he was playing consistently the past 3 years.

Thanks for the reminder inbred pr*ck

Follow
@samlandsberger

less than 2 min read

And to think that they have a stand named after Danny Frawley who took his own life due to ongoing issues caused by his concussion issues after he gave up playing............Bunch of Hypocrites!!!!!!:mad:

Hope you've woken up ok this morning Jy. No worsening or delayed symptoms.

Good to see and hear the general public consensus is 8 to 10 weeks minimum for Webster. For mine it's 16 weeks and fine him enough so that he is left on a minimum rookie wage for the rest of the year. It's going to have to be something that drastic to eradicate acts like that from the game.

The hit on Jy by Webster was disgusting, it was late, high and off the ground. Given everything we now know about concussion this type of act simply cannot be tolerated. I am very surprised that the message still hasn't gotten through to every player that this type of hit is absolutely not on. If the AFL want to stamp this out they have to come down hard with the penalty to set the tone for the future. Six week is an absolute minimum I would think 8 to 10 would be more appropriate.

I really hope that Jy is going to be ok. When it happened my heart sank and watching the replay was really sickening. Jy is also one of the players that we can least afford to lose. We have a very young and inexperienced team and really need the leadership and experience that Jy brings. To lose Jy to injury is one thing but to lose him in that incident is disgusting.

As for Websters family, whilst I can understand them wanting to support a family member this is absolutely the worst way to go about it. They really need to reflect on the comments that they made and hopefully see how wrong they were. I remember when Jess Sinclair collected Lance Picioane. Jess was distraught by his actions and genuinely remorseful and Lance's family acted with complete class. I distinctly remember being very impressed by the comments made by his mother. I did a quick Google search and found how the NMFC reacted to the incident:

Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley says Sinclair's actions were out of character.

"We want to play hard tough footy and you can't get away from that, but we certainly don't want Jess Sinclair incidents happening," he said.

"Jess made a mistake, there's no doubt about that. In a split second he's made the wrong decision which we all have to live with. Certainly we don't condone what Jess has done."

Laidley says Sinclair is extremely upset and has telephoned Picioane and apologised for the incident.

"Jess took off down the coast yesterday and has been in my office this morning nearly in tears," he said.

"He's already spoken to Lance and I don't know what happened in that conversation, but it's not a good thing. But let me tell you, he's feeling pretty ordinary at the moment."

Lets see what we get from St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back