Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine the time the commission took to green light the season was primarily taken discussing the measures they've wanted to trial in AFL but couldn't

16m quarters will be in next year
A 17 round draw with longer finals/state of origin
Quite possibly look at a Vic licence or two and the carcass of NRL and what it can do to capitalise.

2020 will be the test year for a new AFL era.

I'd be surprised if 2021 looks anything like 2019.

I imagine the time the commission took to green light the season was primarily taken discussing the measures they've wanted to trial in AFL but couldn't

16m quarters will be in next year
A 17 round draw with longer finals/state of origin
Quite possibly look at a Vic licence or two and the carcass of NRL and what it can do to capitalise.

2020 will be the test year for a new AFL era.

I'd be surprised if 2021 looks anything like 2019.

Er..

It was really just about what could they change to actually have a chance to finish the season this year.

Er..

It was really just about what could they change to actually have a chance to finish the season this year.
That is just what they said it was for. For their plan to work they would have to had multiple games go against each other during midweek. I doubt it would have shaved more than 2 weeks of the season while at an even bigger cost of revenue due to games clashing
This was about what they could push through for next season

In general I hate it. Absolutely hate it. Aren’t the AFL so lucky their fan base is so rusted on they’ll put up with this constant f***ing tinkering? Their arrogance is just mind-blowing...
they’ll probably point to cricket and say ‘how good’s 20/20? It’s been great for cricket’... I’d say the jury’s still out on that. Cricket’s a great example of a game that has sold its soul for commercial revenue and is now a confused, mostly meaningless muddle of a sport. Keep this sort of crap up, and that where Australian rules might end up.

It's terrible at 16 minute quarters.
All the champion players of the current era will forever have their averages drastically slashed. There is no time for teams to feel one another out (don't think dirty thoughts).
You start out quickly, you likely win the game.

Those in the media pushing for this only do so as it cuts back their working time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media have literally nothing else to talk about. Of course they're going to attach themselves to the various anomalies of this COVID-19 round and extrapolate every bit of it to fill air time/page space.

I assume we're two days away from a "should the AFL adopt playing behind closed doors permanently?" take or three.

I love how they are trying to justify it by saying the scoring was higher. The scoring was higher because any contact in a marking contest was clearly directed by the AFL to be paid as free kick to the forward. This also made scoring more accurate as it meant players were getting more shots from 20 out straight in front.

I thought the AFL and rules of the game dickhead Hocking wanted higher scoring. Yet now they're potentially going to sneak in shorter quarters which obviously leads to lower scoring. Makes no sense and is completely opposite to their original message.

On another page someone pointed out that the boring defensive games where teams score ~60 will turn into teams scoring ~40.

Again AFL trying to fix a problem that isn't there, instead of addressing the s**t rules they've brought in (ruck noms, sliding rule).

I find Whately annoying now, he believes he is righteous, often his opinions do not line up with the general public
He's entitled to view things any way he likes. On this matter he is dead wrong. It was woeful football.

It seems the AFL and coaches (Clarko and other dopey pricks reckon 16 a side!!!) want to try everything under the sun that they can think of other than reverse what caused the problem in the first place: interchange.

The NRL reduced it for the better. Fancy being dumber than the NRL

I find Whately annoying now, he believes he is righteous, often his opinions do not line up with the general public

He's gone from the best media guy in football to being the most sanctimonious bastard involved with the game in the space of a couple of years.

He's the Bono of football. Once great, now a self-absorbed bore.

It's worth noting NDS and Dermie came out hard against this on Fox Footy. Will be interesting to see what happens if the ex-players say they want it to stay 20 minutes.

FWIW having it at 16 minutes felt weird. I'm OK with having it this season to get more games in for a quicker time span but I would want a return to 20 for next.

I love how they are trying to justify it by saying the scoring was higher. The scoring was higher because any contact in a marking contest was clearly directed by the AFL to be paid as free kick to the forward. This also made scoring more accurate as it meant players were getting more shots from 20 out straight in front.
Funnily enough it was only 6 points a game higher on Rd 1 2019; i.e. not much difference at all.

Back