Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reason to keep them is because there’s already been games played at 16min quarters. You can’t have games played under different rules, if games are an extra ~16min longer in R1 it completely changes the way they would play out.
Only way to have 20min quarters this year is to ditch R1 results and simply start the season from scratch. Whether that is right, I have no idea.

If this is the best reason to continue 16 minute quarters then I feel my point is vindicated.

All teams will be under the same rules and regulations regardless. I understand why they put in the 16 minute quarters for round 1, however those reasons have now diluted in the current predicament, when we are now anticipating a regular season with scheduled matches every 6, 7,8 and 9 days like we're used to, with no reason to shorten them.

I find it ironic how in previous years we have been complaining about the lack of scoring, yet now we want shorter quarters? It just does my head in, it is so nonsensical. You are going to lose so many fans at games next year if these become the norm. Fans are not going to bother driving 3 hours from country towns when the product is reduced by 20%.

If shorter quarters improves the quality of football not against keeping it

Few minutes less a quarter makes little diff for me

4 less minutes every quarter adds up to a LOT of missed football.

Fans take a lot of time effort and money to attend football, reducing the spectacle by 20% will see a lot of them deciding to stay at home.

Fans take a lot of time effort and money to attend football, reducing the spectacle by 20% will see a lot of them deciding to stay at home.

I trust a 20% cut in the product will be accompanied by a 20% cut in the price...

Somehow I don't think that'll happen.

Correct; fans will just have to vote with their feet if this change is implemented for next year.

Its weird because we are constantly bombarded with "record attendance numbers" so they can't exactly say its what the fans want. If the players somehow win the battle for shorter games then it will once again show how little the AFL/clubs care about their members...oh but they care about them right now for the $$$$$$

Which is why part of me doesn't mind at all that clubs have to prune back their 235 assistant coaches they have to ensure their precious players are having correct technical bowel movements. They've spent miles and miles beyond their means for years. Now perhaps they may realise a lot of it isn't necessary.

This 100%

You can compare that to the way cricket shortened their games to 20 overs a side. It probably needed to for survival arguably, however you're starting to see a drop off in suppprt for that format now because the supporters who loved cricket for the lengthy mental battle between bat and ball and the traditional side of the sport are now losing interest fast, me included. But cricket is a little different as you can maintain 3 formats of the game with different teams etc. AFL need to be careful as they don't have the international market like an India or England to rely on $$$ coming in. Stop f***ing with our game!!

Even then, if it wasn't for the market of India, cricket would be in big trouble. It's a colonial game of a previous era, played in about ten countries, and pretty much doesn't exist outside of that. No one who hasn't grown up with it is going to care about a game that lasts for five days.

If this is the best reason to continue 16 minute quarters then I feel my point is vindicated.

All teams will be under the same rules and regulations regardless. I understand why they put in the 16 minute quarters for round 1, however those reasons have now diluted in the current predicament, when we are now anticipating a regular season with scheduled matches every 6, 7,8 and 9 days like we're used to, with no reason to shorten them.

I find it ironic how in previous years we have been complaining about the lack of scoring, yet now we want shorter quarters? It just does my head in, it is so nonsensical. You are going to lose so many fans at games next year if these become the norm. Fans are not going to bother driving 3 hours from country towns when the product is reduced by 20%.
I agree that 20min is better and in any normal circumstance a cut is a terrible idea. But I also don’t think you can play games in the same season under different rules. I already dislike when ‘interpretations’ are changed mid year, let alone something as clear cut as the time of a quarter.

34 game season but games are only 2 halves of 30 mins each.
each weekend you play two games eg when you travel you play two games on the road trip

am i doing it right?

This is more like it. But I think some further adjustments are warranted:

- 720 game season - each team plays 40 games.
- Each game lasts 36 minutes. Four quarters of 9 minutes each.
- No team can lose more than three games straight, otherwise players' feelings might get hurt.
- Bruce McAvaney to follow players around in a segue during games for up to date insights.
- Matches to occur concurrently at the same venue. As soon as one finishes another one begins*.
- If supporters try to leave after one game they are (correctly) taken out the back and shot.
- Ben Cousins to provide live crosses during games from his cell.
- The antiquated scoring system is updated - 9 points for kicking a goal off one leg, 7 points for hitting the goal post, 5 points for hitting the point post, and 3 points by arbitrary umpires decision.

All these changes are long overdue I feel.

I agree that 20min is better and in any normal circumstance a cut is a terrible idea. But I also don’t think you can play games in the same season under different rules. I already dislike when ‘interpretations’ are changed mid year, let alone something as clear cut as the time of a quarter.

Why does it matter though? What changes if the players and teams all know about it well in advance? They won't go back to 20min quarters this year because they really want to trial shorter games but to say you can't do it because one round was played under 16min is wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that this may become a reality for the 2020 season. I personally did not like it but I think that we may just have to accept it.

I don't get what the push for it is, I get it for this year due to possible short turnarounds, but seriously this is beyond stupid to introduce for future seasons. The AFL just introduced new rules in 2019 to increase scoring which were heavily supported by the media, but didn't actually increase scoring. So why would the media want 16 minute quarters which would decrease scoring, I just don't get it, there's a reason why fans don't watch Gold Coast games but watch teams such as Richmond or Collingwood and it's partly due to scoring. This is a complete backflip by the media they want high scores but short games, before they wanted just high scores, they have to pick one.

They had warmup games though.

Also there weren't many quality games in Round 1, maybe only 2 or 3

That's where their argument (the AFL and media that is) falls completely off the rails.

Who judges what is quality? And what does that have to do with anything in the first place?

If they wanted "quality" games, then remove most of the coaches and therefore defensive tactics, and just let them play. You'll see more scoring for starters.

16 minute quarters in any form are an abomination. They've officially halved how long a game goes - it used to be 30 minutes. Amazingly but not remotely surprisingly, some people actually think it's ok, and are even happy about it.

This always happens in every sport. The media and the refs will get paid no matter how long the quarters or halves are always push for shorter matches. It happened in basketball, none of the players wanted to drop from 12 minute quarters but to ease the strain on refs it was decided to go to 10 minutes.
Even in cricket the commentators are always saying on air ridiculous run chases for declaring especially warnie because he wants the game to finish in 4 days so he can have a round of golf. Footy is no different things like whately who has no idea about how a sport should run continues to push for something and braindead sheep follow what he says.

Back