Autopsy 16-minute quarters: which teams are winners and losers from this?

What do you think of the reduced quarters?

• Not sure yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I read something by a sycophantic AFL journo the other days saying that one of the 'great' things about shorter quarter would be that stars would be on the ground for longer (implying that this is what fans want to see). Maybe it's me, but I've never turned on a game so I could watch a 'star' in action. I'm happy to accept that Nat Fyfe is one of the AFL's best and a deserving Brownlow winner, but in recent years I've done whatever I could to avoid having to endure Fremantle games.
It’s the most fallacious argument ever conceived.

How does changing the game length enable Dustin Martin to run for longer?

It’s the same game time, different game percentage. Amazingly, if we shortened the game to 5 minute quarters, we could eliminate the bench and every player could play 100% game time.

It’s the most fallacious argument ever conceived.

How does changing the game length enable Dustin Martin to run for longer?

It’s the same game time, different game percentage. Amazingly, if we shortened the game to 5 minute quarters, we could eliminate the bench and every player could play 100% game time.
Agree

It staggers me how people even come to that conclusion. Less time all up = less time for star players.

Players are crying out for less minutes of football per year, and the AFL are realistically going to satisfy this by satisying themselves, i.e. less minutes per quarter = game cut down to soccer length for international appeal = more fixture flexibility due to less fatigue = exact same time for advertisers. Unfortunately when every commentator should be pulling them up on it, the Fox team are squarely behind the change, for no apparent reason. They seem to be the only ones in the world for whom R1 2020 was actually more exciting - which is objectively wrong.

None of this will happen for one reason: money.

17 games = smaller player contracts.

Shorter games, 16 minute quarters = fans abandon attending matches and buying memberships.

The only thing the AFL could possibly do to change the structure of AFL is to reduce the game length by about 10 min and double the number of games. But even then crowd numbers will suffer and that is too many games for Dangerfield to accept.

18 min quarters may be accepted by fans. But it be will be a tough road for the AFL if they also extend quarter time breaks for more adds.

The game has sucked for the last 4 years and there is no sign of it getting better. People are still attending because they love their clubs.... but they won't do it for the next 10 years. The AFL need to make the product great again before they think of shrinking the product.

None of this will happen for one reason: money.

17 games = smaller player contracts.

Shorter games, 16 minute quarters = fans abandon attending matches and buying memberships.

The only thing the AFL could possibly do to change the structure of AFL is to reduce the game length by about 10 min and double the number of games. But even then crowd numbers will suffer and that is too many games for Dangerfield to accept.

18 min quarters may be accepted by fans. But it be will be a tough road for the AFL if they also extend quarter time breaks for more adds.

The game has sucked for the last 4 years and there is no sign of it getting better. People are still attending because they love their clubs.... but they won't do it for the next 10 years. The AFL need to make the product great again before they think of shrinking the product.

Eh, think it has been pretty good. Certainly better than with the inception of GC and GWS who were getting hammered every week.

The main detractor to the quality of recent games is due to needless rule changes/adjustments by Hocking and co. Fix up most of the changes they've made and the game will be better off (aka. get rid of ruck nom and throw the ball up quicker = less congestion).

As for the 16 min quarters and longer breaks, it's very simple. AFL wants more ad time = more money. No fans want shorter games, it detracts from the gladiatorial and grueling aspect of the game that is so good to watch.

I wonder whether the reduced time of qtrs was discussed as any sort of incentive during the players' pay cut negotiations?
It’s a good reason for afl to cut pay more

Afl could have really effed the players over, 50% was a great player outcome
Considering no games and if they do come back shorter game time anyway

The media push for shorter quarters isn't advertising related. Shorter quarters means less on air time, in turn showing how out of depth their supposed experts are

So now they are talking that we will be looking at a normal 1 game per week fixture for 2020. Surely the need for 16 min quarters is gone.

It’s true, the whole thing is dumb anyway, makes comparing records overall between different areas pointless.

I’d rather less games than shorter games.

Surely they won’t do it for next year, there is just no need.

I know we went from 25 to 20 minutes in 94, but that was at least balanced somewhat by stopping for throw ins and ball ups (though still not necessary really).

NFL don’t give a s**t their games are long, why should we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shorter quarters?? What bloody game are we playing these days? Here's another rule that would improve entertainment, 9 points for kicking a goal while hopping on one foot! This is not the game I grew up with and loved.

I'm all for it this year because we should have games every day just to get a season done. But back to normal next year ffs!

What is with the incessant spasms of rule and structure changes in the AFL? Or are there too many boofheads in the media trying to justify their job? God, I'd hate to see our game in 30 years time. Leave the game alone!

So, since the AFL are sticking with a traditional fixture not a compressed season will we see a return to the 20 minute quarters ? Or will this just a convenient excuses to make changes for the sake of it ?

Wouldn't be the first time the AFL have brought in a change that most supporters hate yet every footy media flog comes out in favour of.

There is obviously directives from the AFL for the media to push changes they want to make in the hope they can brainwash us into accepting them.

The media are complicit, they're probably the ones driving it.

So, since the AFL are sticking with a traditional fixture not a compressed season will we see a return to the 20 minute quarters ? Or will this just a convenient excuses to make changes for the sake of it ?

Exactly. Media still talking about "how teams are going to approach shorten quarters" when it looks like we're moving towards a more traditional fixture? Have not heard one good reason as to why we should keep them for the remainder of the year. If each team was coming off a 5 day break EVERY week then yes, I could understand the need. Not if it's going to look like the week to week schedule that it has been for the last 123 years however.

A stupid and unnecessary change. 18 minutes I could live with (just). 16 is way too short. Soon they’ll shorten the size of every oval and reduce it to 14 players on the ground per team. The game is becoming unrecognisable.

The AFL should ask paid up members for their opinion, not d***heads like Whateley who think their voice represents the vast majority. I’d guess 80% of punters would want the quarters to stay at 20 minutes.

Exactly. Media still talking about "how teams are going to approach shorten quarters" when it looks like we're moving towards a more traditional fixture? Have not heard one good reason as to why we should keep them for the remainder of the year. If each team was coming off a 5 day break EVERY week then yes, I could understand the need. Not if it's going to look like the week to week schedule that it has been for the last 123 years however.
Reason to keep them is because there’s already been games played at 16min quarters. You can’t have games played under different rules, if games are an extra ~16min longer in R1 it completely changes the way they would play out.
Only way to have 20min quarters this year is to ditch R1 results and simply start the season from scratch. Whether that is right, I have no idea.

Reason to keep them is because there’s already been games played at 16min quarters. You can’t have games played under different rules, if games are an extra ~16min longer in R1 it completely changes the way they would play out.
Only way to have 20min quarters this year is to ditch R1 results and simply start the season from scratch. Whether that is right, I have no idea.
Of course you can. Who is it unfair on to revert to 18 or 20 min quarters?

Back