Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

people saying must be a hell of a bender need to realise once you've mentioned taking your life or the like an ambulance is rung immediately with the police. so police come to make sure you don't hurt yourself and will handcuff you and forcibly put you in an ambulance. I know from experience.

Think your aiming at the wrong target here. Was never aimed at him, it was aimed at the posters
Regardless really don't feel like going over this for the zillionth time in a thread not even about him.
Not making points about Hogan just obvious hypocrisy

Because having a discussion with you is beyond futile.

Just for the record, if you are keen to have a civil discussion, I have never bad mouthed Hogan now or since he left. He was not only one of my favourite players while he was here, but I met him at a couple of MFC functions and outside hours, and he was nothing but a good lad. Personally, of nearly any player in the afl, he would be one of the most deserving for good will to come his way.

But as a trade, I was happy to move him on begrudgingly at the time thinking weid and McDonald looked the goods, and frost and omac- weren't - the trade made sense. The only part of that, that in hindsight hasn't worked, is McDonald and weideman kicking on.

That is my position, it hasn't wavered since 2018.

That's also my olive branch, but if you need to keep potting me, either put me on ignore or DM me and we can figure out another way.

Anyway I hope that the club is offering some support to Harley as he clearly needs it.
Yep fair enough, for the record I wish both blokes nothing but the best and they are both in position to receive excellent professional and personal help.

Appreciate the olive branch and I’m happy to keep things civil I’ve let myself down a few times but it’s a two way street, I don’t mind being called a campaigner on here it’s part of the fun, but while my opinion might be different it’s never personal to the player or the poster and people need to stop taking it that way, if I disagree show me why I’m wrong, way to often the first response is to tell me to * off and then get all offended when I take shots back.

I agree with people way more than I don’t, but when I don’t people get way to upset

Shame he could not take his third chance at Melbourne. He was never going to be that star that came in to the gold coast with the chronic calves issue.

He obviously has the mental resilience to come back from so many injuries.
Such a shame his mental demons still haunt him..
Let's hope it's not another Ben cousins in the making & he can find some.meaning.

I must admit my first thought was "celebrating his retirement a bit too hard".

But after letting it ferment for a bit it does seem more and more like an underlying mental health issue?

Hopefully those few games with Melbourne will give give him some closure on his career.

One of those frustrating talents that could just never get the body 100%. But his effort to get back at all on several occasions has to be commended. He did sort himself out the past 2years or so.

Would be nice if the MFC could have helped him avoid this inglorious end to his career. I feel like they leave people to their own devices a bit too much - which on the surface seems appropriate because people should take responsibility for themselves in principle, but I also think it's best practice to go above and beyond the minimum when you know somebody has issues or weaknesses which can express themselves in difficult times. If they could have kept him training and in the squad til the end of the season, he might not have been at a loose end, then he might have had company for the end of season blow-off-some-steam session, and this whole sh!tstorm might have been avoided. He might even still be on our list, with a career to look forward too - although that's hard to say because there have clearly been things going on behind the scenes. But if that's the case, it's even more important to make sure he doesn't go off the rails by being told his season is over before other players. I feel like it's still his responsibility what happened, but it's also typical MFC to not quite get something like this right. We are anything but best practice - on pretty much everything.

Would be nice if the MFC could have helped him avoid this inglorious end to his career. I feel like they leave people to their own devices a bit too much - which on the surface seems appropriate because people should take responsibility for themselves in principle, but I also think it's best practice to go above and beyond the minimum when you know somebody has issues or weaknesses which can express themselves in difficult times. If they could have kept him training and in the squad til the end of the season, he might not have been at a loose end, then he might have had company for the end of season blow-off-some-steam session, and this whole sh!tstorm might have been avoided. He might even still be on our list, with a career to look forward too - although that's hard to say because there have clearly been things going on behind the scenes. But if that's the case, it's even more important to make sure he doesn't go off the rails by being told his season is over before other players. I feel like it's still his responsibility what happened, but it's also typical MFC to not quite get something like this right. We are anything but best practice - on pretty much everything.
I agree. I feel like the club could have been stronger.

Had he been at Collingwood, he would still be on their list and they would be doing everything they could to help him out.

Unfortunately, we don't have that sort of leadership.

The other shitty thing is I bet we don't take another risk like this again despite it basically being a complete success

Tigers had blokes follow Dusty around when he was younger to make sure he didn't * up, not sure why we couldn't have had a welfare officer look after the bloke

The other shitty thing is I bet we don't take another risk like this again despite it basically being a complete success

Tigers had blokes follow Dusty around when he was younger to make sure he didn't fu** up, not sure why we couldn't have had a welfare officer look after the bloke
Do you really think the club left him to his own devices the past year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another half-arsed job by the Melbourne Demons.
We knew this was a possibility and didn't put the adequate supports in place. And now this.

Carn Dees- give him a contract, get him right, and let's all sit bank with a cheese platter and vodka while he's kicking a bag of sausage at the G!!!
Eeek! For the record I hadn't read anything about what happened when I posted that. Seems his situation is a bit worse than I thought it was. Hope he gets better.

His mum Kayleen privately messaged me on Facey yesterday. I won't say exactly what she said as it was a private discussion, but she was responding to a message that i made. My point was that i felt Dees supporters were copping a bad rap in the media about comments made about Harley. I said i didn't think the comments were all that bad and were actually quite positive and mostly concerned about his health. A couple of people called him a bit if a d***head but besides that i didn't see any negative comments.

She messaged me and gave me an insight into what was happening with Harley and an example of a few comments made that she thought were out of line. She's beside herself tbh and knowing what he's going through I know I'll never be making another negative comment his way. Even though i didn't make any nasty comments it gave me more understanding of the situation and a family member's perspective of how damaging social media can be in situations like this. I wish Harley and his family all the best. Really sad and heartbreaking what's happened there..

Look , I understand as a parent the need to defend your child. But going on facebook to see what people/strangers are saying about them isn't the smartest move. You're more than likely not going to enjoy what you're reading. Facebook is an absolute shithole honestly, not as big as twitter, but it's close.

Look , I understand as a parent the need to defend your child. But going on facebook to see what people/strangers are saying about them isn't the smartest move. You're more than likely not going to enjoy what you're reading. Facebook is an absolute shithole honestly, not as big as twitter, but it's close.
Agreed. I actually said that to her as well. I'm surprised to see family members of players on these forums. Still doesn't excuse some of the comments on these forums. Absolute filth sometimes. I can be as pessimistic as they come, but there's a line where comments start to get insulting and she said several people crossed that line. She's sent a few of the names onto the AFL and MFC, so i hope no one on here was involved in any unsavoury comments..

Agreed. I actually said that to her as well. I'm surprised to see family members of players on these forums. Still doesn't excuse some of the comments on these forums. Absolute filth sometimes. I can be as pessimistic as they come, but there's a line where comments start to get insulting and she said several people crossed that line. She's sent a few of the names onto the AFL and MFC, so i hope no one on here was involved in any unsavoury comments..

Groups on facebook are the worst.

My comments yesterday were more frustration at a guy who has all the tools but for whatever reason pisses his chances up against the wall constantly. I don't hate Harley. I hope he gets his life on track. But like I said a few pages back, it's the boy who cried wolf at this stage. Footy is the last thing he should be worried about. Shouldn't have comeback or gone into the hub when he's clearly mentally a mess.

The club should have done a far better job of evaluating him physiologically I feel. To me from a far it looks like they didn't know what they were getting themselves into.

s**t story all round.

Yeah that is one hell of a ******* bender to end up in an ambulance

Back in the day I had several Thursday night to Sunday morning benders. I have seen some guys take enough substances to kill multiple elephants and still not end up in an ambulance

fu** me he is going to have one hell of a hangover when he wakes up in hospital!
It's not really a competition though is it.

His mum Kayleen privately messaged me on Facey yesterday. I won't say exactly what she said as it was a private discussion, but she was responding to a message that i made. My point was that i felt Dees supporters were copping a bad rap in the media about comments made about Harley. I said i didn't think the comments were all that bad and were actually quite positive and mostly concerned about his health. A couple of people called him a bit if a d***head but besides that i didn't see any negative comments.

She messaged me and gave me an insight into what was happening with Harley and an example of a few comments made that she thought were out of line. She's beside herself tbh and knowing what he's going through I know I'll never be making another negative comment his way. Even though i didn't make any nasty comments it gave me more understanding of the situation and a family member's perspective of how damaging social media can be in situations like this. I wish Harley and his family all the best. Really sad and heartbreaking what's happened there..
She could've headed over that way for her own support and giving her confidence that the general public are behind her son. Her boy has made some mistakes throughout his life. Maybe an elite climate isn't in Harley's best interest. He doesn't really sound like a bad person at all. He's not going around belting women and girlfriends. Just has some demons like I have had in the past.
All the best with you Harley and your family.

I think it's fair to say going by the vibe of this ATM this isn't just a bloke who drank to much. This sounds like a bloke at the bottom of a barrel, a bloke who's health is a risk right now. I'm all for personal responsibility but it sounds like he ain't doing well at all

I think it's fair to say going by the vibe of this ATM this isn't just a bloke who drank to much. This sounds like a bloke at the bottom of a barrel, a bloke who's health is a risk right now. I'm all for personal responsibility but it sounds like he ain't doing well at all

Yeah I would suggest this is why we have kept it very in-house.

Agree. it has the vibe of addiction - I suspect he is alcoholic. Loads of people are. And you either abstain totally or drink to point of no return. Totally hope he is okay, can recover and live a life. Poor bastard

Tigers had blokes follow Dusty around when he was younger to make sure he didn't fu** up, not sure why we couldn't have had a welfare officer look after the bloke

Isn't Matthew Whelan employed as a welfare officer??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back