Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is so far ahead of the other coaches that it’s not funny. He is yet to be fully acknowledged as the genius coach that he is.

Clarko? Pfft! I’d take Scotty over Angry Ant every time.

He is very good but dont underestimate the importance of having rahilly and king back. Both are very intelligent thinkers. Adelaide really should have made someone likr rahilly their coach.

Two best coaches are Chris Scott and John Longmire - no question about it.

Both have rebuilt on the run and contended again after winning premierships.

Clarko had an amazing crop of players, as did Hardwick. They’ve both gone to clubs with a young talented group to do it all again but couldn’t continue to contend without teams will of high draft picks.

Chris Scott always talks about the difficulty in the coaches box, the tactical side of it. You listen to Bevo and you can see why we beat the Dogs… ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not entirely sure I agree that horse has rebuilt on the run.. the amount of high end draft picks that Sydney have been gifted through the academy makes this statement a bit hard to swallow.

Not entirely sure I agree that horse has rebuilt on the run.. the amount of high end draft picks that Sydney have been gifted through the academy makes this statement a bit hard to swallow.
Just because the swans have had access to some good academy players (not all of them were high end btw, I think we bid on Gulden in the 30s), doesn't mean they haven't rebuilt very cleverly and transitioned their list while remaining competitive.

Not sure list management has much to do with the head coach anyway.

The main reason Scott and Longmire have stayed with their respective clubs for so long and had success is 1) they are both excellent coaches; and 2) they joined stable and well-run clubs.

I really hope Scott stays on for many more years. Being a head coach has so many pressures and I think he's the kind of person who feels those more acutely than most. I like it when he acknowledges the limitations of what a coach can do. It's not like they have to be master tacticians and control freaks every day. He is often first to acknowledge the individual achievements and personal development of his players rather than taking credit for their role in the side.

And then you have to ask what he's achieved at Sydney with all that talent at his disposal?

With both guys starting their senior coaching careers in 2011, it does present the opportunity for comparison as there's a number of similarities - both had early ultimate success with a premiership each in 2011 & 2012

- Since our 2011 flag, we've finished top of the ladder twice (19 & 22), made two grand finals and won the 2022 premiership. There's also two years we've missed finals

- Since Sydney's 2012 flag, they've finished top of the ladder twice (14 & 16), made 3 grand finals (14, 16 & 22) but runner up in all of them. And like us, two years of missed finals

Scott's taken Geelong to 28 finals appearances for 13 wins & 15 losses, and from the 11 finals series we've entered only 3 occasions have we failed to win at least one final

Longmire has taken Sydney to 25 finals appearances for 12 wins & 13 losses, but Sydney has failed to win a at least 1 final on 4 occasions

So very similar records, just with one more grand final appearance but also not that second flag

IF we don't win the 2022 flag, for everything Scott has done right there would continue to be questions if he could get the team to take that extra step. He himself may have decided it was time for a fresh voice

At what stage do the same questions get asked of Longmire, because for all he's shown during his time, he hasn't got the team over that final hurdle since 2012 despite making 3 grand finals - two of those appearances the team was embarrassed, and pretty sure they were favs in the other

Just because the swans have had access to some good academy players (not all of them were high end btw, I think we bid on Gulden in the 30s), doesn't mean they haven't rebuilt very cleverly and transitioned their list while remaining competitive.

Not sure list management has much to do with the head coach anyway.

The main reason Scott and Longmire have stayed with their respective clubs for so long and had success is 1) they are both excellent coaches; and 2) they joined stable and well-run clubs.

I really hope Scott stays on for many more years. Being a head coach has so many pressures and I think he's the kind of person who feels those more acutely than most. I like it when he acknowledges the limitations of what a coach can do. It's not like they have to be master tacticians and control freaks every day. He is often first to acknowledge the individual achievements and personal development of his players rather than taking credit for their role in the side.
What do you define as rebuilding on the run while competing?? We are starting to murky the definition and acclaimed club tarnt of rebuilding while competing if we start extending that notion to top 4 sides who are getting consistent access while competing for a premiership to top 5 and even top ten draft pick talent… it is essentially the same draft capitol a team sitting down the bottom of the ladder is receiving.. how is it then any different to a team building from the bottom of the ladder??

Heeney was touted as a top 3 pick in his draft year… but for whatever reason slid all the way to end of first round.. my suspicion was because he was one of the first talented academy kids picked the other clubs were quite leanient on it… but as others came thru they started to clamp down on fair value..

From what I understand academy kids usually go a bit later than their real market value because teams know they can’t draft them.. but for memory those worth a top 5 pick they got while making finals were:

Top 5: heeney, mills, cambell.
Top 10: blakey.

That is four top ten draft picks from academies currently in their side.

Then throw in gulden who wouldn’t be a swan without the bidding system in second round. Plus throw in the others….

That is a huge leg up in any way you look at it…

Yes they are well run, but there is every chance right now Sydney would be a bottom 8 club rebuilding right now had it not been for the academy top ups.

Compare that to what Scott has had to work with on the run… and it is no comparison in terms of resources.. Sydney has had far superior draft capitol at its disposal

Last edited:
This is true. But we got Tim Kelly for a steal who turns out to be the equivalent of a top 3 draft pick and trade to WC and use 3 first rounders to get Jeremy Cameron.

Draft picks comparisons are never going to be a perfect analysis but I still think Scott and Longmire are the best two going around.

This is true. But we got Tim Kelly for a steal who turns out to be the equivalent of a top 3 draft pick and trade to WC and use 3 first rounders to get Jeremy Cameron.

Draft picks comparisons are never going to be a perfect analysis but I still think Scott and Longmire are the best two going around.

He wasn’t the equivalent of a top 3 draft pick??.. we got him on the open draft market for a pick in the mid 20’s.

Kelly was an open draft pick, freely available to all 18 teams over a number of drafts & rookie drafts

Not at all similar too an academy selection where the player is tied too a certain team prior to the draft

What do you define as rebuilding on the run while competing?? We are starting to murky the definition and acclaimed club tarnt of rebuilding while competing if we start extending that notion to top 4 sides who are getting consistent access while competing for a premiership to top 5 and even top ten draft pick talent… it is essentially the same draft capitol a team sitting down the bottom of the ladder is receiving.. how is it then any different to a team building from the bottom of the ladder??

Heeney was touted as a top 3 pick in his draft year… but for whatever reason slid all the way to end of first round.. my suspicion was because he was one of the first talented academy kids picked the other clubs were quite leanient on it… but as others came thru they started to clamp down on fair value..

From what I understand academy kids usually go a bit later than their real market value because teams know they can’t draft them.. but for memory those worth a top 5 pick they got while making finals were:

Top 5: heeney, mills, cambell.
Top 10: blakey.

That is four top ten draft picks from academies currently in their side.

Then throw in gulden who wouldn’t be a swan without the bidding system in second round. Plus throw in the others….

That is a huge leg up in any way you look at it…

Yes they are well run, but there is every chance right now Sydney would be a bottom 8 club rebuilding right now had it not been for the academy top ups.

Compare that to what Scott has had to work with on the run… and it is no comparison in terms of resources.. Sydney has had far superior draft capitol at its disposal
Heeney was drafted under different rules.

He was without doubt a top 3 talent, and if he was being drafted today he would have been bid on at that pick.

Back then though, the academy rules where similar to the old FS rules.

You just had to declare one of your picks prior to the draft (In this case, Sydney's first round pick for finishing as the runner up), and that's all it took to get acccess to him. He didn't slide, it was just different rules.

It was a running joke back then that it was a classic St Kilda situation.

They finish last, and DON'T pick the best player in the draft in Petracca, and they're not allowed to pick the second best player in the draft in Heeney.

In some ways, I don't mind it. Yes, they got him cheap...but it was at least still a first round pick, where as today they could have just stockpiled junk picks and matched the bid, which is where the waters get murky in terms of draft integrity.

He was without doubt a top 3 talent, and if he was being drafted today he would have been bid on at that pick.

You just had to declare one of your picks prior to the draft (In this case, Sydney's first round pick for finishing as the runner up), and that's all it took to get acccess to him. He didn't slide, it was just different rules.

They finish last, and DON'T pick the best player in the draft in Petracca, and they're not allowed to pick the second best player in the draft in Heeney.

In some ways, I don't mind it. Yes, they got him cheap...but it was at least still a first round pick, where as today they could have just stockpiled junk picks and matched the bid, which is where the waters get murky in terms of draft integrity.

Can't really stockpile too many picks though as they changed the rules a couple of years back and you need to have as many available spots on the list as you do draft picks

So you can't keep only 3 spots open ahead of the draft, but then have 6+ 3rd and 4th round picks for matching

Can't really stockpile too many picks though as they changed the rules a couple of years back and you need to have as many available spots on the list as you do draft picks

So you can't keep only 3 spots open ahead of the draft, but then have 6+ 3rd and 4th round picks for matching

It's easy to create extra picks for matching bids around the limitations, look at how GC matched four bids last year

Ah cheers for that history refresh. I forgot it was those rules back then.

It is a very significant boost Sydney and GWS get.. the afl obviously wants NSW teams to remain competitive to grow the game in NSW… but ignoring the huge advantage they have and claiming it’s all great culture and coaching is just not true and ignorant almost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players want to play for him. This is not only crucial to the current group, but any players looking to change clubs.

Throw it alongside the lifestyle factor, as well as the work/life balance factor and you have a club that is the envy of the rest of the competition and an enticing prospect for any footballer, either in the league and looking to enter the league.

Kelly was an open draft pick, freely available to all 18 teams over a number of drafts & rookie drafts

Not at all similar too an academy selection where the player is tied too a certain team prior to the draft

That’s true. My point being we basically picked up a player the equivalent of a top 3 pick (look what Eagles gave us to illustrate).

That’s a list management win, not coaching. I made the observation to say one can’t say Swans have academy picks therefore discount Longmire. It’s swings and roundabouts.

Most of the time though those junk picks only come from first rounders. So lets say Sydney have pick 10, we trade that away for picks 20 and 23, and then turn pick 20 into pick 29 and 36 or something like that, before turning 23 into pick 31 and 33.

So what started as pick 10 becomes picks 29, 31, 33 and 36 or something like that, and they are junk picks, but they started as pick 10.

Most of the time though those junk picks only come from first rounders. So lets say Sydney have pick 10, we trade that away for picks 20 and 23, and then turn pick 20 into pick 29 and 36 or something like that, before turning 23 into pick 31 and 33.

So what started as pick 10 becomes picks 29, 31, 33 and 36 or something like that, and they are junk picks, but they started as pick 10.

That is underselling the situation, a team with early bids to match can keep cycling picks until they transfer most of the value of them into the next draft.

The discount provided upon matching added to overvaluing of 3rd round picks under the DVI system, greases the wheels. This is the reason why the 3rd round keeps getting compressed.

Pick 10 ends up being a bunch of future picks + a bunch of 3rd rounders which are used to match the bid.

Win, lose, or draw, one cannot help but be thoroughly impressed by the culture at the Geelong Football Club.

The administration has executed a stellar job in not just promoting the club, but also in fostering an environment that any supporter would be proud to be a part of.

There's a unique satisfaction in observing our players during interviews and witnessing first hand their growth and development. Figures like Hawkins and Blicavs stand out not just for their athletic prowess but for their remarkable evolution as individuals, and it's incredibly rewarding to know we've played a role in their journey. Watching the camaraderie between Scott, Hawkins, and Blicavs , it's evident there's a profound mutual respect among them.

While it's unrealistic to assume that, like any other club, we face our share of challenges behind the scenes -after all, it's human nature- I believe we're well-equipped to manage such issues. Unless there are exceptional circumstances why would a player want to leave? Having said that in the pursuit of excellence, there has to be player churn.

This encapsulates the essence of what it means to be part of the Geelong Football Club—a testament to the strength, resilience, and spirit of our community. As sure as night follows day we will be challenged on and off the ground and we will have our ups and downs, but I am sure we will handle these well.

I am sure there have been blogs from me in the past that have not been complimentary towards Scott. Scott has also evolved over this period. Appreciating Scott's tenure as our coach, for me has been a slow burn, but it has reached a point where his impact is undeniable and profoundly impressive. I thank him and the Geelong team for the pleasure they have provided.

He is very good but dont underestimate the importance of having rahilly and king back. Both are very intelligent thinkers. Adelaide really should have made someone likr rahilly their coach.
It helps having a great team, but 13 years of consistent excellence speaks for itself.

I think the best thing he's doing is not coaching solely for the short term. Most great coaches once they had their best players getting over 30 they became incredibly short term in their outlook and destroyed the club's future. Clarkson, Sheedy, Matthews and Hardwick all fit that.

But Scott is finding a way to compete so give guys like Stewart, Hawkins, Danger, etc the chance of further success which they absolutely deserve while bringing through another group to have us competing for the next 10 years. It's a great balancing act at the moment.

I think the best thing he's doing is not coaching solely for the short term. Most great coaches once they had their best players getting over 30 they became incredibly short term in their outlook and destroyed the club's future. Clarkson, Sheedy, Matthews and Hardwick all fit that.

But Scott is finding a way to compete so give guys like Stewart, Hawkins, Danger, etc the chance of further success which they absolutely deserve while bringing through another group to have us competing for the next 10 years. It's a great balancing act at the moment.
Matthews and Sheedy were right to do so, because sports science was a very different beast. Guys like Misiti and Mercuri were done by 30.

Shows how high the standards and expectations externally for us are.
He's never won coach of the year and yet he consistently wins close matches with his coaching.

He manages to devise game plans that hide our weaknesses and maximise our strengths.
Puts the solid support level players into positions and roles that allow them to use their best attributes.

Shows how high the standards and expectations externally for us are.
He's never won coach of the year and yet he consistently wins close matches with his coaching.

He manages to devise game plans that hide our weaknesses and maximise our strengths.
Puts the solid support level players into positions and roles that allow them to use their best attributes.

I was staggered reading some of the stats out of that game on the weekend…. Yet we still not only won the game but even the inside 50 count with 3 of their prime midfielders having the ball nearly 120 times between them and our battlers barely scraping up 20 touches each

Remove this Banner Ad

Back