AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

🤔 I don’t remember any of this. Did I seriously say that Wright would get stronger since he’s been here? I might’ve said more confident or a better overhead mark with better training… Or perhaps you are remembering something about Bellchambers having one agro game in every 30? I remember being overly hopeful that might have occurred more often… 🤔
Nah, I said he was weak despite his size and gym strength, and you said
He's always had a top heavy, weak core look about him.

As in, I'm confident he would lift/push a lot of weight, but the slightest nudge seems to knock him off balance. Let alone being Aliir'd.
Huh?

I mean he’s not a gorilla but he’s quite similar to Draper conditioning wise. Watch the doco if you haven’t already, interesting

I doubt I was replying to you… if I was I would have quoted your post. There are a handful of posts in that discussion that were a bit hyperbolic in calling him weak, which is clearly untrue based on the documentary about his recovery that we were discussing at the time. He obviously does the work and is diligent in the sense of physical preparation.

I would agree with your summation of his core strength (and quads/glutes/hips), in terms of standing his ground in a marking contest. The only players that seem to really focus on that are inside mids but it would save a lot of back problems if the talls didn’t skip leg day.

Top heavy is a good way to descrive him. Maybe that's why he gets pushed around a bit too easily. I wonder if he does enough core and leg work?

And watch sides walk it out of the back half like it is not funny .
Wright is fine as second ruck . How many second rucks have 20 plus hitouts ?
His strength is average and his contested marking is poor but yesterday he put on a number of blocks around the contest and actually beat their number one ruck in a lot of contests.

Is Davey doing anything more to help hold the ball inside the forward half? At least if we put it on a resting ruckmans head they can provide a contest and bring it to ground at worse case (you’d hope).

Is Davey doing anything more to help hold the ball inside the forward half? At least if we put it on a resting ruckmans head they can provide a contest and bring it to ground at worse case (you’d hope).
Actually his pressure acts do and the fact he can actually run with a bloke also does. May not be close to the finished product but it is better than having another non marking lumbering giant down there that has no defensive side. Replace Davey with another small but no to putting another slow ruck in the forward half.

Can't take a contested mark to save himself but also never seems to get outmarked in a contest. Occupies the #1 defender, brings the ball to ground at a minimum, can play a decent second ruck and is always a threat to kick goals given his sheer height and the fact that he's deadly from anywhere in the fwd half up to 60m from goal. Definitely best 22 but would be great to also have a proper #1 key fwd.

Was a lot better performance even though he didn't hit the scoreboard. Threw his weight around at ground level really well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s so slow and can’t get any separation on defenders. That and the ease in which blokes who are often a lot smaller than him seem to nudge or outwork him is beyond frustrating. Has no idea how to use his body and his forward craft is poor. Basically needs it on a silver platter or to fall in his lap to kick goals these days.

He’s so slow and can’t get any separation on defenders. That and the ease in which blokes who are often a lot smaller than him seem to nudge or outwork him is beyond frustrating. Has no idea how to use his body and his forward craft is poor. Basically needs it on a silver platter or to fall in his lap to kick goals these days.
This is some sort of bullshit. He literally kicked 5 last week.

Bad game but everyone is overreacting to it. He's still a very good forward/ruck.

Or maybe he’s slow because he’s gassed because he’s never had to build a tank to play ruck.

Also Essendons forward entries were largely crap. Not to many forwards could do much with what they were getting.

Team really needs to look to readjust their idea of how high the ball has to go if they are trying to create a forward 50 chaos ball

Going from 2 rucks to 1 ruck has hurt the team structurally because it allowed Goldy to rest on ground and it allowed all of the forwards to slot into their natural roles

Wright roaming around the arc as F2
Jones coming in from the side as f3
Langers and Stringer finding seams within the F50
Gresham being able to crumb those packs.

The guy has bricks for hands, can’t mark anything unless it’s lace out

Not really fussed he kicked a bag last week when we targeted him almost every inside 50

Or maybe he’s slow because he’s gassed because he’s never had to build a tank to play ruck.

Also Essendons forward entries were largely crap. Not to many forwards could do much with what they were getting.

Team really needs to look to readjust their idea of how high the ball has to go if they are trying to create a forward 50 chaos ball

Going from 2 rucks to 1 ruck has hurt the team structurally because it allowed Goldy to rest on ground and it allowed all of the forwards to slot into their natural roles

Wright roaming around the arc as F2
Jones coming in from the side as f3
Langers and Stringer finding seams within the F50
Gresham being able to crumb those packs.

Never had to build a tank? Spare me! Nick Riewoldt had one of the biggest tanks in the game and never played ruck. I agree the one ruck set up has hurt him though.

Most players have bad games. His wasn’t helped by the midfield’s delivery. But to go this hard after someone who has had a good season is perplexing.

And he was hardly alone in having a bad day at the office.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back