2009 Melbourne Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also Lee apparently said if there isn't some rain around near the Cup or on Cup day Speed Gifted will probably be scratched. Blame the ground for it's poor performance today.

Feel like Ive heard this before from Freedie recently.
It was like concrete by R8,as long as hasnt jarred up Id be expecting him to run well back to a handicap with 53kg.
Obviously any rain a bonus

seth

so whats the go now after some performances yesterday some horses have blown out in the market is this because there not gurenteed a start ? if so when does the next order of acceptance come out ?

Warringah looks a certain starter,Changingoftheguard has had an abscess in a hoof but all is apparently ok now.
Not really the preparation you want leading into a Melbourne Cup & they are also considering the Mackinnon on Saturday.

Munsef & Mourilyan are also definite Cup runners,Geelong Cup also rans Basaltico & Crime Scene are still running if they make the field.

Godolphin still have Kirklees as their best hope,Cima De Trimphe is also likely to run in the Mackinnon

seth

Does anyone know the strike rate of horses who go through the MacKinnon and onto the Melb Cup? It's always been a strange one for me as it is an extremely short backup. I don't really take too much interest in the Melb Cup and have generally used the Caulfield Cup as a form guide. Much guide to be taken out of the MacKinnon?

Does anyone know the strike rate of horses who go through the MacKinnon and onto the Melb Cup? It's always been a strange one for me as it is an extremely short backup. I don't really take too much interest in the Melb Cup and have generally used the Caulfield Cup as a form guide. Much guide to be taken out of the MacKinnon?

Last roll of the dice for some....The winner gets a ballot free entry into the Melbourne Cup. Recent winners include Champagne (2nd in MC), Rogan Josh (won) & Sirmione (near last).

A 2000m hit out may also be just what a horse needs 4 days prior. Cummings put Viewed thru the MacKinnon last year (may have even finished last). So definitely don't discount horses coming out of the Mackinnon coz of the short back up.

www.trackdata.com.au is a good place to look at stuff like that. Should have followed it for the Cox Plate.

A 2000m hit out may also be just what a horse needs 4 days prior. Cummings put Viewed thru the MacKinnon last year (may have even finished last). So definitely don't discount horses coming out of the Mackinnon coz of the short back up.

Yeah I remember that. I had money on Sirmione and Viewed early on in that season. Sirmione came third I think and Viewed came last. I invested a bit more in Sirmione for MC but obviously backed the wrong Cummings horse. I think Viewed dropped 5 or 6 kg for the Cup.

My live bets so far are Viewed-Viewed,Viewed-Efficient/Vigor/Roman Emporer/MOR in the doubles. Also got some money on Leica Ding(50s) and Kibbutz(301s) at good odds earlier on among others.

Give Efficient open running room and there is no one that can catch him. Viewed would need to be infront of him at the turn to win, can't see him running over Efficient.

Last meeting between the two...

[YOUTUBE]7gk0t9zRQ00[/YOUTUBE]

Doesn't look good for Vigor.

A shame that one of the most promising horses can't get a start while some of the european plodders are guranateed.

WFA 1st.
Caufield Cup 3rd.

And he sits 29th in the order of acceptanec while horses than finished almost worse than midfield in the Geelong Cup are locked away comfortabley in the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then the announced news of Alcopops fall and slight muscle (?) tear hasn't stopped punters from backing the runner.

But mmmmmm I did find it interesting that no-one wanted anything on Effecient.

Efficient struggling? Hmm that's not what the Williams camp is saying publicly. Although, given they pulled him out of the Cox Plate, maybe it's true and they don't want to risk another injury before the Melbourne Cup.

When did Alcopop fall and tear a muscle? Wasn't it just Alcopop's jockey who had a fall on another horse in Mt Gambier?

Probably comeback to bite me but can't see Alcopop, Efficient or Viewed winning it.

What did you guys think of Shockings run in the Herbert Power?

He ran 4 wide and got bumped, nearly losing his feet, as he was about to commence his burst home at the same time as Alcopop but managed to recommence his run and hit the line strongly 3 lengths behind Alcopop who had a rails run and no interference.

Alcopop is equal favourite for the Cup and Shocking is 25-1. If Alcopop is a genuine equal favourite (which I admit I am not convinced of) then surely Shocking presents fantastic value at 25-1?

Seems that Speed Gifted's chances are virtually nil with a forecast of virtually no rain all week & Freedie looking to treat the horse for back issues.

Strangely all the other internationals,even the 2 bought for the Autumn & 2010 by local connections seem almost certain runners now.

seth

Give Efficient open running room and there is no one that can catch him. Viewed would need to be infront of him at the turn to win, can't see him running over Efficient.

Last meeting between the two...

[youtube]7gk0t9zRQ00[/youtube]
viewed carried an extra kilo and a half than efficient and get held up a bit in the run to.nothing between these two.

Guys os atm but watched a few replays of the big races......Vigor is my pick got held up in the replay and its early win was impressive and its run 3 wide in the cup was a unbeilavable effort....if it can geta good sit and be pulled out around them it has amassive show!;) happy punting

Guys os atm but watched a few replays of the big races......Vigor is my pick got held up in the replay and its early win was impressive and its run 3 wide in the cup was a unbeilavable effort....if it can geta good sit and be pulled out around them it has amassive show!;) happy punting

Looks like it will need to win on Saturday to get a run in the Cup though.

Anyone got an opinion on Shockings chances in the Cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back