2009 Vuelta a Espana

Remove this Banner Ad

Another 17 seconds lost. He is too far back now to make it all up in the time trial....

IMO there is not enough stages left for Cadel. :(

He'll finish on the podium (If he doesn't say "ahh **** it I'm going home") but it won't be the top step.

This stage was symbolic of Cadel's career so far.

Had his rival on the ropes but could not lose him, eventually cracking himself and losing time. A huge opportunity missed.

His lack of speed in the mountains means he is unable to make any time on top GC rivals, nor is he able to close up again after they gap him with a surge.

Even though he is strong, means very little in terms of winning the major tours without acceleration.

If the mountain stages were raced individually Cadel would win every single one. He has the best consistent speed up a mountain but as soon as acceleration is required his lack of explosiveness leaves him found wanting. The amount of times I have heard after a TT that Cadel rode the uphill section of the course the fastest makes me wonder why he simply cannot get the job done. Even in this years Tour in the second ITT when Contador dominated and even beat Fabian Cancellara, Cadel still had the fastest time in the uphill section. Very dissapointing, though things like yesterday don't help at all.

1:51 back, does look pretty much done but stranger things have happened. With ITT and an interesting last stage to come, I'm still keeping the faith.

He didn't crack. He had a major crash during stage 18. Crossed the line with a pale face. Huge gash in his knee. Hasn't recovered.

Instead of pulling out, he battled on last night.

ITT tonight, and Evans SHOULD get himself on the podium. He will have Basso covered, Sanchez may be a bit too far though, considering Sanchez beat him in Valencia and Evans' TTs in the first week certainly weren't his best. Or he might be riding better now than he was then. Good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back