2011 B&F awards

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to call a high HFFer a midfielder like Zarahakis. He averaged 20 disposals / game this year, that isn't the output of a midfielder. Beams had the same numbers and he is a high HFFer before he is a midfielder.

Number of possessions does not dictate someone's position on the field.

It's hard to call a high HFFer a midfielder like Zarahakis. He averaged 20 disposals / game this year, that isn't the output of a midfielder. Beams had the same numbers and he is a high HFFer before he is a midfielder.
Regardless of technical definitions, Zaharakis kicks more running goals from the middle of the ground than most other players. Collingwood and Geelong midfielders kick a lot of goals from pinning their opponents down in their forward half and from stop-plays inside 50, which is different to many of the goals kicked by Zaharakis.

Charlie Sutton Medal voting:

1. Matthew Boyd 140 votes
2. Robert Murphy 130
3. Ryan Griffen 99
4. Callan Ward 84
5. Dale Morris 81
6. Daniel Cross 74
7. Daniel Giansiracusa 72
8. Liam Picken 66
9. Barry Hall 51
10. Shaun Higgins 42
10. Lukas Markovic 42

Bob Murphy's solid 2nd placing underlines the All Australian selectors probably got it right by naming him at half back.

Matthew Boyd's second best and fairest? What a great pick up he has been from off their rookie list.

On to the rookie list from the Frankston reserves as well :thumbsu: Boydy has worked damn hard to get where he is now. Very proud bulldogs supporter.

edit: Note; Callan Ward 4th in B&F. Give us our damn first round compensation you bastards, AFL.

Zaharakis was only really shifted into the midfield wholesale from about 2/3rds of the way into the season.

wtf? O'Brien and Blair ahead of Tarrant.

As I've said to you and others (including many Collingwood supporters), O'Brien's "s**t year" was highly exaggerated this year. He wiped the floor with LeCras, Milne and Betts for starters.

Blair ahead of Tarrant is more surprising, but I imagine Blair's getting rewarded for being the only guy in our forward rotations who actually chased this year. Tarrant always did well, but rarely had much responsibility (partly because the ball didn't get down there, partly because good FF's are few and far between).

Pendlebury's margin of 11 votes is the biggest since Buckley beat Tarrant by 13 in 2003. Not bad considering the bloke who came second polled 34 votes in the Brownlow.

lol you didn't watch much of Essendon did you, champ?

Do yourself a favour and look at Zaka's stats in the first half of the year compared with the second half.

Second half of the year he played as an out and out mid and racked up the possies. First half of the year he played as a HFF.

As a midfielder he averaged 25+ touches a game as well as his guranteed goal or 2 out of the guts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great result by Glass. Underlines his value to the Eagles and how seriously underrated (criminally underrated IMO) he is by supporters of other teams (I was going to say Victorians but took the diplomatic stance).

Having said that, I would have thought Cox would have been a shoo in for this one though. Anyone know how they were tracking until the last month?

Really like Zaharakis but gotta say he is a little bit out of his depth winning a best and fairest for a team that made the finals so early in his career.

Highlights that outside Watson Essendon have a very even and young list.

West Coast
1st Darren Glass (398)
2nd Matt Priddis (398)
3rd Dean Cox (397)
4th Shannon Hurn (374)
5th Luke Shuey (359)
6th Adam Selwood (342)
7th Nic Naitanui (338)
8th Andrew Embley (333)
9th Mark Nicoski (333)
10th Scott Selwood (332)

I can't believe Kennedy didn't finish in their top 10. Goes to show how well the Eagles are travelling. A lot to like about the Eagles with the mixture of experienced and youngsters.

Really like Zaharakis but gotta say he is a little bit out of his depth winning a best and fairest for a team that made the finals so early in his career.

Highlights that outside Watson Essendon have a very even and young list.

I thought he was very good this season, particularly over the second half of the season when he moved more into a midfield role. At worst he would have been our second best player over the course of the entire season and obviously consistency and playing every game helps a lot with best and fairest awards.

The surprise for me was Hurley finishing third since he only played one more game than Watson and you'd have thought that Watson would have dominated voting throughout the first half of the season.

The surprise for me was Hurley finishing third since he only played one more game than Watson and you'd have thought that Watson would have dominated voting throughout the first half of the season.

Watson went off early in three games, though.

Great result by Glass. Underlines his value to the Eagles and how seriously underrated (criminally underrated IMO) he is by supporters of other teams (I was going to say Victorians but took the diplomatic stance).

Having said that, I would have thought Cox would have been a shoo in for this one though. Anyone know how they were tracking until the last month?
I think Cox would have to have been in front as Glass was great in the first two finals and Cox was well down in a couple of the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back