2012 List Management - Drafts, Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in this boat.

I'm not keen on selling the farm to GWS tp get Martin, the kid looks about 50kg soaking wet. Do we need another player on our list who will take a few years to beef up?

Stringer looks ready to hit the ground running.
If I'm correct Jetta nominated for the draft the year before he got drafted but was overlooked partially because of his size. A year later he went top 15 but still skinny as a rake, now every team would love to have him.
I know it's a gamble but but he seems like a kid who will do anything to make the grade so I'd be confident if we picked him up. I guess you could say the same about Stringer and if we end up with pick 9 I'd hope he was there but things are a bit more out of his control with the leg.

I can see your point. Why let Richmond get Tyson, we could grab him ourselves.

Tyson however specifically wants to come to Richmond. He has a poster of Brett Deledio on his wall in his Melbourne house right now I would say. It's vacant because he's stuck in that s**t-heap Western Sydney.

What's helping your deal get over the line with GWS is our Pick 9. You are not willing to give up Pick 5 and 6 just for Jack Martin and Jed Anderson, but if Pick 9 comes along aswell you're riding into the sunset on a stallion at this trade period. It means you get three quality kids. Under no circumstance though could you get Jack Martin, Jed Anderson and Dom Tyson for Pick 5 and 6. GWS won't allow that to happen, I do think we need to sweeten the deal for GWS too. The way in which it will happen has probably been suggested, but I doubt anyone will know until Richmond throw it on the table.

The deal as it stands. The Bulldogs get GOOD compensation. Richmond get VERY GOOD compensation for what they give up. GWS get NOT GOOD compensation.

So we're at very good, they are not good, we need to give something to them. I wouldn't be surprised if we threw in a player. But which player remains to be seen.

I would say we have Knights, Edwards, King and Nahas as small forwards, along with Cotch, Lids and Martin who rest forward, we'll probably offer a small forward. Hopefully not Edwards.
I would think that Nahas would be the most likely to be offered by you guys, right? That said though, I seem to remember reading an article saying that GWS were interested in King months ago...take it with a grain of salt though, I could be mis-remembering.

What's helping your deal get over the line with GWS is our Pick 9. You are not willing to give up Pick 5 and 6 just for Jack Martin and Jed Anderson, but if Pick 9 comes along aswell you're riding into the sunset on a stallion at this trade period. It means you get three quality kids. Under no circumstance though could you get Jack Martin, Jed Anderson and Dom Tyson for Pick 5 and 6. GWS won't allow that to happen, I do think we need to sweeten the deal for GWS too. The way in which it will happen has probably been suggested, but I doubt anyone will know until Richmond throw it on the table.

The deal as it stands. The Bulldogs get GOOD compensation. Richmond get VERY GOOD compensation for what they give up. GWS get NOT GOOD compensation.

Have to agree with all of this.

As the deal looks right now:
GWS trade Tyson to Richmond for pick 9.
We trade pick 6 for Mini draft pick 1 (Martin)
GWS trade Anderson to us for an upgrade of pick 9 to pick 5.

If we wanted Tyson:
We would trade pick 5 for Tyson and pick 6 for Martin, and the deal would be done.

Have to agree with all of this.

As the deal looks right now:
GWS trade Tyson to Richmond for pick 9.
We trade pick 6 for Mini draft pick 1 (Martin)
GWS trade Anderson to us for an upgrade of pick 9 to pick 5.

If we wanted Tyson:
We would trade pick 5 for Tyson and pick 6 for Martin, and the deal would be done.

You've confused me.

If you wanted Tyson

Pick 5 + Pick 6 = Dom Tyson, Jack Martin?

Deal would never be done, GWS getting ripped up a new one there. Jack Martin would have gone top 3 next year, he's very good and GC/Melb will be interviewing this week. Which means they've shown interest. If WB want to get the deal done for Martin they can't just offer up Pick 5 or 6 because GC or Melb can trump that with Pick 2 or Pick 4.

GWS will gladly give him to you for Pick 5 + 6 but you'll never trade two top draft picks for one player.

That's where Richmond come in, if we give you Pick 9, you'll be happy to part ways with Pick 5 + 6 if there's a little more sweetener going your way, ie, Jed Anderson.

But that reams GWS who've now lost Anderson and Tyson to get the deal done. If Richmond can offer up a 30-40 goal a year small forward, then it equals out pretty well for everyone except Richmond.

Richmond now give up Pick 9 and Robin Nahas for Dom Tyson. Nahas kicks 30-40 goals a year, so we get reamed on that deal, GWS just evened themselves out by getting Nahas whilst the Dogs are riding into the sunset.

Now this is where the deal will work, Dogs will give Richmond Pick 47. Deal done.

RICHMOND GIVE: Pick 9, Robin Nahas
Richmond GET: Dom Tyson, Pick 47

BULLDOGS GIVE: Pick 5, Pick 6, Pick 47
BULLDOGS GET: Jack Martin (MD1), Pick 9, Jed Anderson

GWS GIVE: Dom Tyson, MD 1
GWS GET: Pick 5, Pick 6, Robin Nahas

That's the kind of deal that will play out.

Now this is where the deal will work, Dogs will give Richmond Pick 47. Deal done.

RICHMOND GIVE: Pick 9, Robin Nahas
Richmond GET: Dom Tyson, Pick 47

BULLDOGS GIVE: Pick 5, Pick 6, Pick 47
BULLDOGS GET: Jack Martin (MD1), Pick 9, Jed Anderson

GWS GIVE: Dom Tyson, MD 1
GWS GET: Pick 5, Pick 6, Robin Nahas

That's the kind of deal that will play out.
Really like that trade actually; we're basically getting Jed Anderson (top 20-25 pick) for pick 47, and Martin for 6 and a 4-place downgrade (still top ten).
Would have to go in the record books as one of the most complex three-way trades in recent history though, wouldn't it? :p

Really like that trade actually; we're basically getting Jed Anderson (top 20-25 pick) for pick 47, and Martin for 6 and a 4-place downgrade (still top ten).
Would have to go in the record books as one of the most complex three-way trades in recent history though, wouldn't it? :p
Lachlan Veale anyone?

Hey guys, not sure if you've discussed it already or would at all be interested, but do you think the Dogs would consider looking at Bret Thornton as a UFA? If your forward stocks are as bad as is suggested, he might be a nice stop-gap while some younger guys develop. Would probably play for next to nothing as long as he was guaranteed game time and has no serious injury problems.

Quite complex, but it works out well for everyone. Unless GWS don't want Nahas at all. Then it falls to s**t and we need to find another player!

The more I hear about Stringer the more I think we should forget about Martin and Anderson and the whole merry go round with GWS and Richmond.

Bugger Richmond and bugger GWS. I don't have any sympathy for Richmond whatsoever and GWS have taken enough from us already without handing over 5 and 6.

Get Stringer, get Mayes or Wines or whoever is next and get on with the business.

To me, Martin looks very similar in build to Jordan McMahon/Farren Ray and we all know what happened with those two.

McCartney likes big, tough bodies, so surely Stringer is right up his alley.

You've confused me.

If you wanted Tyson

Pick 5 + Pick 6 = Dom Tyson, Jack Martin?

Deal would never be done, GWS getting ripped up a new one there. Jack Martin would have gone top 3 next year, he's very good and GC/Melb will be interviewing this week. Which means they've shown interest. If WB want to get the deal done for Martin they can't just offer up Pick 5 or 6 because GC or Melb can trump that with Pick 2 or Pick 4.

In the current deal:

Richmond Get: Dom Tyson
Richmond Give: Pick 9

Bulldogs Get: MD pick 1 (Jack Martin), Jed Anderson, Pick 9
Bulldogs Give: Pick 5, Pick 6

GWS Get: Pick 5, Pick 6
GWS Give: Dom Tyson, MD pick 1, Jed Anderson

If GWS is getting screwed over for Dom Tyson and MD pick 1 for pick 5 and 6 then the current deal has no chance of going through, however many sweeteners are involved.

The more I hear about Stringer the more I think we should forget about Martin and Anderson and the whole merry go round with GWS and Richmond.

Bugger Richmond and bugger GWS. Get Stringer, get Mayes or Wines or whoever is next and get on with the business.

To me, Martin looks very similar in build to Jordan McMahon/Farren Ray and we all know what happened with those two.

McCartney likes big, tough bodies, so surely Stringer is right up his alley.

Stringer broke his leg.

Do you know how easily the value plummets when recruiters have heard that your leg has broken?

Truth is Stringer may never be the player he once was. He went from top 5 pick to top 20 now. You would NEVER risk Pick 5 or 6 on a player who has had a broken leg. Those two picks you're assured of two solid 10-12 year players.

Pick 10 onwards you start looking at taking risks like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that scenario, wouldn't Anderson be the added incentive for us to actually go through with the trade? Without him, we're downgrading our pick 5 or 6 to 9 for pretty much nothing. So I don't see why we would need to add 47, since Richmond and GWS need us to actually do the deal. We should have it our way, or it doesn't go ahead.

Stringer broke his leg.

Do you know how easily the value plummets when recruiters have heard that your leg has broken?

Truth is Stringer may never be the player he once was. He went from top 5 pick to top 20 now. You would NEVER risk Pick 5 or 6 on a player who has had a broken leg. Those two picks you're assured of two solid 10-12 year players.

Obviously it hasn't affected his kicked then.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Either way, I don't want our club to help Richmond one little bit. We should be dealing directly with GWS.

Stringer broke his leg.

Breaking bones at a young age isn't like breaking them when you're in the middle/end of your career. It should heal fine, and he's played some very good football since coming back from it, in the U/18's and the VFL, all without any sort of pre-season. He will go top 10, mark my words.

In that scenario, wouldn't Anderson be the added incentive for us to actually go through with the trade? Without him, we're downgrading our pick 5 or 6 to 9 for pretty much nothing. So I don't see why we would need to add 47, since Richmond and GWS need us to actually do the deal. We should have it our way, or it doesn't go ahead.

Not true. GWS won't seal the deal for Martin if you're just willing to part ways with either Pick 5 or Pick 6 for him. Melbourne and Gold Coast are very interested in him and can easily outbid you with Pick 2 or Pick 4.

If you give them Pick 5 + 6 but manage to grab Pick 9, then suddenly you're still guaranteed those two top players. Maybe even taking Stringer at 9, which will probably happen.

Hey guys, not sure if you've discussed it already or would at all be interested, but do you think the Dogs would consider looking at Bret Thornton as a UFA? If your forward stocks are as bad as is suggested, he might be a nice stop-gap while some younger guys develop. Would probably play for next to nothing as long as he was guaranteed game time and has no serious injury problems.

No thanks.

He's looking for a paycheque. Was about to retire mid-season.

We've taken enough of other clubs s**t over the past few decades.

Not true. GWS won't seal the deal for Martin if you're just willing to part ways with either Pick 5 or Pick 6 for him. Melbourne and Gold Coast are very interested in him and can easily outbid you with Pick 2 or Pick 4.

If you give them Pick 5 + 6 but manage to grab Pick 9, then suddenly you're still guaranteed those two top players. Maybe even taking Stringer at 9, which will probably happen.
Melbourne are more interested in Hogan than Martin, and from everything that has been said lately, Gold Coast aren't very interested in the mini draft. They'll bid on Viney, and go with Toumpas if Melbourne match the bid. So that leaves us with 5 or 6. If we go for Martin, we'll offer 6, and GWS wont be able to do any better, other than 5. I'd imagine they would then accept 6, since they wont get any better than that.

We hold the power in the suggested trade. Added incentive would be needed for us to downgrade 3 or 4 spots in the top 10.

Breaking bones at a young age isn't like breaking them when you're in the middle/end of your career. It should heal fine, and he's played some very good football since coming back from it, in the U/18's and the VFL, all without any sort of pre-season. He will go top 10, mark my words.

I'm not a doctor so I won't dispute whether breaking bones at a young age heals better or not.

What I will say though is that with the top line talent in this draft, taking Stringer at Pick 5 and 6 is far too risky (Especially with Melb taking Viney at 3). Whitfield, McCrae, Toumpas, O'Rourke, Grundy, Plowman are top six, they will go straight away, you would have to take them over Stringer because of that broken leg. If you have pick 9 and those guys are all gone, then Stringer is a more suitable selection.

Another reason why our trade works!

Stringer averaged 20 possessions and 6 tackles in 3 (or 4) games in the VFL this season going at about 70%. I doubt he'll be available at pick 9.

Was thinking I would want the Anderson, Martin and Pick 9 deal, but I would be gutted missing Stringer. It's lucky I don't have to make the decisions though.

Stringer broke his leg.

You wouldn't have taken Voss after he badly broke his leg? I think he had a "fair" career afterwards.

Can't recall any young player having their career ruined by a broken leg.

I'm not a doctor so I won't dispute whether breaking bones at a young age heals better or not.
Having broken a fair share of bones during my early teens the doctors always said that they become stronger. That said I did break my left forearm 3 times so I don't know how much of that is fact and not them saying that to make you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back