Draft Review 2012 - Revisiting the 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot to reconsider here.

You've completely misinterpreted what I'm saying. My argument that Grundy wouldn't go that high has nothing to do with his quality as a player but about what a team needs. There are just a lot of clubs at that point who didn't need a ruck so weren't going to pick him with an early pick regardless.

If you did the draft with each club knowing how the players would turn out I'd say there would still be plenty of clubs who wouldn't pick Grundy. I'd see it going something like this:

Picks 1,2 and 3 GWS: They'd consider Grundy since they didn't have a good ruck at that stage. But I reckon they'd go Stringer, Wines and Whitfield as the top 3.

4. Melbourne. Didn't really need a ruck due to having Jamar as #1 (AA a couple of years prior) and 3 developing rucks in their early 20s (Gawn, Fitzpatrick and Spencer). Would've probably gone a mid since they got Hogan in the mini draft. Probably Macrae.

5 and 6. Western Bulldogs. Minson had just announced himself as a very good ruck and they had Roughead and Cordy as developing young rucks so they didn't need a ruckman much. They'd likely have gone a key forward in Daniher and then there's about 5-6 players who would be options who have showed a fair bit since draft day but unlikely to get Grundy.

7. PA. Might've picked Grundy but also had Lobbe as an early pick who was becoming physically ready.

8. Brisbane. No way they would've got Grundy with Luenberger matur and Billy Longer the pick 8 from the year before.

You get the point. He's probably one of the best 5 players in the draft. But there's a reason he slid on draft day. It's because a heap of teams had absolutely no reason to pick a ruckman who would likely be stuck in the VFL for a good chunk of their career instead of a lower quality but more versatile player who would walk straight into the starting lineup.

1. Jake Stringer - the package does it all. Pick 1 every day of the week
2. Ollie Wines - absolute star. Not having as big of a year as some thought he would but still producing some great numbers
3. Jack Viney - tough nut who has been great this year. Arguably better than Wines.
4. Jackson MacRae - Accumulates the pill. Good player all round.
5. Lachie Hunter - Another pick nailed by the dogs. Numbers have been crazy this year. Could well be ahead of MacRae based on ouput this year.
6. Joe Daniher - Key Forward who is slowly showing how good he can be. Maybe taken higher because of potential.
7. Lachie Whitfield - Classy player who can run all day. Probably havent been able to see how good he can be because of the tough fight for a cemented spot in the GWS midfield.
8. Brodie Grundy - Big men often take a while to develop and Grundy has shown he has a heap of potential. Good pick by pies.
9. Nick Vlastuin - Solid player at the moment but should become a very good player in a few years.
10. Jackson Thurlow - range of players who could fill this spot but Thurlow looked like he would become a key player for Geelong this year before the season ending injury.

Atkins (absolute steal), Gleeson, Ben Kennedy and a few others arent too far off.

Whitfield pretty stiff there
He's class will shine through and will be the best player of the crop
Viney, Wines, Hunter following not sure about Macrae

(Log in to remove this ad.)

since being drafted Wines is ahead of all others on career avg to date and also in finals.

but no one would complain if you picked wines, stringer, hunter or viney at pick 1
Stringer was AA last year, so how do you come to the conclusion Wines is ahead of him?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

stats
games played
performance is finals
etc
Stats mean shit when comparing a forward to a mid.

Stringer is miles ahead of Wines.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Stats mean shit when comparing a forward to a mid.

Stringer is miles ahead of Wines.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk
Stringer's been found out to an extent this year, needs to add a few more tricks to the bag. Crameri back next season will help, granted; there's too much on his shoulders.

This is the draft Freo shat the bed. So far removed from our stellar 2011 draft. Only player is Matt Taberner as our first round rookie draft selection looks like being best 22 in the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back