Banter 2013 End of season random discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If the stories are true, we might have been able to off-load Gillies onto them though.

He and the Hawks were keen(ish).

We didn't like the Hawks offer.
I think it was pick 42.

I think it was pick 42.
I remember it being late mid to late 30s or something so that's the ballpark.

That would have been a win looking back at it. :D

It's unfortunate, and he's become the butt of jokes, but he looked a promising young defender in 2009. Obviously didn't knuckle down as required afterwards.
I agree.

I think I may well have been one of the last posters on this board to be in his corner as I thought he might be capable with some experience and guidance.

Sadly, his stint at Melbourne showed me that he either wasn't up to it or wasn't prepared to work hard enough.

It's unfortunate, and he's become the butt of jokes, but he looked a promising young defender in 2009. Obviously didn't knuckle down as required afterwards.
I actually thought he'd make it. Same goes for Laidler.

Who knows what Gillies would have done at Hawthorn. Gibson was an average player before he went there.
Timing is everything.

Let's say you slot Scarlett into Melbourne. He may have been seen as an ok footballer, not a star.

Just a few observations i gleened from watching last night G Ablett jnr superstar game Adelaide v Geelong round 4 2009 at Football Park ( a treat to watch Geelong won by 8 goals - and Walls/Quartermaine/Lane were in raptures about Geelong - it was like a home and away version of that NTH Melb Qualifying final - thats how good it was quality wise

Geelong back then were a 12-15 goal better outfit than the current side

Blake was the no 1 ruckman in that game *( Ottens was out injured) and played very well - even kicked a goal - any one who bags him as a tap ruckman is a 1st class imbecile - he was that far better than West and some of these other no- hopers the Cats have had - just watch that 2009 Crows game

Ive come to conclusion that Wojinski was very poorly handled/coached through out his career - he had gears which 90% of players havent got - some of his play in that game was unbelievable - and his ommission from the 2008 GF side will go down as the dumbest ommission of all

The more of these Geelong games im watching from the premiership era- im coming to the coclusion ( to borrow someone elses phrase) that the bloody drovers dog could have coached Geelong to those flags - because the side was just so talented

Just a few observations i gleened from watching last night G Ablett jnr superstar game Adelaide v Geelong round 4 2009 at Football Park ( a treat to watch Geelong won by 8 goals - and Walls/Quartermaine/Lane were in raptures about Geelong - it was like a home and away version of that NTH Melb Qualifying final - thats how good it was quality wise

Geelong back then were a 12-15 goal better outfit than the current side

Blake was the no 1 ruckman in that game *( Ottens was out injured) and played very well - even kicked a goal - any one who bags him as a tap ruckman is a 1st class imbecile - he was that far better than West and some of these other no- hopers the Cats have had - just watch that 2009 Crows game

Ive come to conclusion that Wojinski was very poorly handled/coached through out his career - he had gears which 90% of players havent got - some of his play in that game was unbelievable - and his ommission from the 2008 GF side will go down as the dumbest ommission of all

The more of these Geelong games im watching from the premiership era- im coming to the coclusion ( to borrow someone elses phrase) that the bloody drovers dog could have coached Geelong to those flags - because the side was just so talented
Awesome post.
And of course, I totally agree with ALL those points.

Blake was the no 1 ruckman in that game

Blake was indeed a mystery. Great tap ruck as you said and had a degree of skill. Wasn't as much of a klutz as he appeared to be, but failed to really improve around the ground.
What was his story?
He never really progressed in other areas. Was he badly coached, or did he have some sort of attitude problem like once he got the tap it was over to someone else? Laziness? Complacency?
He turned out to be a bit of a spud, but could have been much more.

Blake was indeed a mystery. Great tap ruck as you said and had a degree of skill. Wasn't as much of a klutz as he appeared to be, but failed to really improve around the ground.
What was his story?
He never really progressed in other areas. Was he badly coached, or did he have some sort of attitude problem like once he got the tap it was over to someone else? Laziness? Complacency?

I think we find it too easy to think every skill required can be magically 'taught'. Players have limits. I doubt very much Blake would have been allowed anywhere near the senior side if he was lazy as some like to suggest. For me, I don't think he was badly coached, I don't think he had attitude problems (as I've seen zero evidence of it), I don't think he was lazy, and I don't think he was complacent. He was a talented tap ruckman who didn't do enough around the ground, and a rule change came in at exactly the wrong time for him.

Yes he got a taste in 2009 and looked ok but never really looked the part thereafter. I still recall he played a bit part in the 2012 VFL GF because he kept getting towelled up as a KP.

As per normal, we were all fairly understanding of his form decline.

Yes he got a taste in 2009 and looked ok but never really looked the part thereafter. I still recall he played a bit part in the 2012 VFL GF because he kept getting towelled up as a KP.

As per normal, we were all fairly understanding of his form decline.

"Scarlett Mk. II" is I believe the title he was given by a few on here.

I think we find it too easy to think every skill required can be magically 'taught'. Players have limits. I doubt very much Blake would have been allowed anywhere near the senior side if he was lazy as some like to suggest. For me, I don't think he was badly coached, I don't think he had attitude problems (as I've seen zero evidence of it), I don't think he was lazy, and I don't think he was complacent. He was a talented tap ruckman who didn't do enough around the ground, and a rule change came in at exactly the wrong time for him.
What was his story?
I have some strong thoughts on Blake. He has more recently been shown to thrive as a sole #1 ruck, admittedly in lesser competitions. But I know he hated being dragged off at 8 or 12 minutes as was the way. He is a work horse, very durable, and if he'd shown a little more in the short bursts he was on, he may have prospered. Lazy, no. Attitude, no. Socially awkward, perhaps- he was not "one of the boys". Disliked, no. I had an opportunity to discuss our rucks at length with PODS, after he'd gone to Adelaide, so he was very objective, and he thought Blakey was hard done by, and that'll do me.
He would not be a Goldstein, but he certainly could have been useful in 2012,2013, 2014...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back