Official Club Stuff 2014 AFL Audited Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have more junior members than...

Dunno whether junior memberships mean a lot given it's the parents that buy them, not the kids themselves. If your kid follows another club you're probably not going to buy them a membership of that club as they have no-one to go to the games with. You're going to get them a jumper or scarf instead.

Never mind kids memberships are a lot easier to fudge - A donation of $100k converted into kids memberships is quite a lot. I think someone close to the Dogs did something like this a couple of weeks ago. Admirable motivation - giving memberships to local kids - but they're not genuine members.

Dunno whether junior memberships mean a lot given it's the parents that buy them, not the kids themselves. If your kid follows another club you're probably not going to buy them a membership of that club as they have no-one to go to the games with. You're going to get them a jumper or scarf instead.

Never mind kids memberships are a lot easier to fudge - A donation of $100k converted into kids memberships is quite a lot. I think someone close to the Dogs did something like this a couple of weeks ago. Admirable motivation - giving memberships to local kids - but they're not genuine members.

It's not necessarily 'fudging' per se, but giving away promotional kids memberships is a pretty easy and obvious way to try and grow the brand...Not to mention that letting the kids in free still leaves the parents paying.

Mate, I think I see where you're going with that, but to give you just one example of why I think you're backward with the logic (for our club at least) - was at the open training day at Tom Wills Oval for the International Rules squad last year, I was sitting at a table waiting for the action to start when a young family came and sat there with me. Dad in a West Coast jumper, mum in her Swans cap and the kids dressed head to toe in Orange and Charcoal.

It is far less likely that the kid follows the different club and gets bought a membership anyway, that it is the mum or dad who go along to Giants games because they follow a non sydney team and are going because it's AFL while their kids are the ones who are Giants fans.

I see it a lot around the place, it's the junior in Orange and the parent clinging to their old club. That's why I say our long term base is the juniors.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back