Resource 2014 NMFC Annual Report and 2015 AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Gate Receipts and Membership was 7,444,462, up 215,451 +2.98% is pretty poor given a huge membership increase last year.

So I've done a few figures on this.

If we compare 2013 and 2014 attendances - I don't have gate receipt data, but I'm sure the figures roughly translate.

For home games

2013: 301,463
2014: 268,661

A total of 32,802 less attendees, in a year of record membership and on-field success.

Most of the games when you compare them are pretty close to matching in terms of crowd figures. In 2013 we played Collingwood at home (41,040), in 2014 *essendon (42,332). Hawthorn, Geelong & Brisbane home games were within 1k +/- difference.

The difference seems to be two factors - 1. Richmond supporters are Richmond supporters (-12989). 2. Playing teams with decent Melbourne followings in Hobart.

If you compare the 2014 Hobart attendances with the games from 2013 that were in Melbourne, there's a -37989 discrepancy.

St Kilda, Etihad Stadium, 25658
Adelaide, Etihad Stadium, 23033

St Kilda, Blundstone Arena, 10641
Adelaide, Blundstone Arena, 10702

This means we should think very carefully about who we play in Hobart. We may still sell out the Hobart ground (~11,000), but we cannibalize the Melbourne gates.

In 2015, we're extending this problem, by not only playing three games instead of two, but moving our Richmond home game to Hobart. If both North and Richmond start the season well, by round six I would have expected a 50k attendance, however we'll be restricted by the Blundstone capacity.

It would be in our best interests to send only games against development clubs to Hobart, at least until the redevelopment is complete and the capacity hits 20k... closer to those St Kilda, Bulldogs, Melbourne home games.

Anyway, shut-up and buy a membership.

(note, I'm not an anti-hobart supporter, these are just the numbers I crunched)

If we compare 2013 and 2014 attendances - I don't have gate receipt data, but I'm sure the figures roughly translate.

For home games

A total of 32,802 less attendees, in a year of record membership and on-field success.

Most of the games when you compare them are pretty close to matching in terms of crowd figures. In 2013 we played Collingwood at home (41,040), in 2014 *essendon (42,332). Hawthorn, Geelong & Brisbane home games were within 1k +/- difference.

The difference seems to be two factors - 1. Richmond supporters are Richmond supporters (-12989). 2. Playing teams with decent Melbourne followings in Hobart.

If you compare the 2014 Hobart attendances with the games from 2013 that were in Melbourne, there's a -37989 discrepancy.

This means we should think very carefully about who we play in Hobart. We may still sell out the Hobart ground (~11,000), but we cannibalize the Melbourne gates.

In 2015, we're extending this problem, by not only playing three games instead of two, but moving our Richmond home game to Hobart. If both North and Richmond start the season well, by round six I would have expected a 50k attendance, however we'll be restricted by the Blundstone capacity.

It would be in our best interests to send only games against development clubs to Hobart, at least until the redevelopment is complete and the capacity hits 20k... closer to those St Kilda, Bulldogs, Melbourne home games.

Excellent post.

A couple of things though, I believe that the renovations are indeed complete and Blunstone now holds 20k. Our game there against Richmond will certainly sell out and I think that's important as it will help build a culture of attending North games there for the lower drawing teams. Certainly I'm against sending Richmond down there but I understand the reasoning. We can't just lump Hobart with rubbish games vs GWS etc. But my strategy would be to give them good games but not Melbourne teams. Games vs Swans or Gold Coast or the like will be excellent high quality games of teams towards the top of the table, but let's keep as many games vs Melbourne teams in Melbourne.

For home games

Also, those 2013 St Kilda and Adelaide games may have got 28k more combined, but we still, would have made losses on those games, had they been played at Etihad.

The difference in gate receipts from 2013 is down from $1,718,947 to $1,614,141. This means that our membership increase provided us with an extra $320,257, or $65.84 per membership, and therein the issue with 2 or 3 game memberships, not much return in $$$.

I will be interested to see if we can increase the attendances at Blundstone to match capacity and then do a comparison of cost effectiveness. The Hobart thing only provides signigicant benefit if we can get 15K plus to the three games.

I will be interested to see if we can increase the attendances at Blundstone to match capacity and then do a comparison of cost effectiveness. The Hobart thing only provides signigicant benefit if we can get 15K plus to the three games.

And I think that's why the club were so keen to play Richmond down there for the first one.

And I think that's why the club were so keen to play Richmond down there for the first one.
I understand that logic. Gotta invest to make it work. But it will only really benefit us if we get those who don't follow us to want to go watch us play the likes of the crows and GWS. Otherwise we will need to request games down there against the Hawks, Blues etc.

I understand that logic. Gotta invest to make it work. But it will only really benefit us if we get those who don't follow us to want to go watch us play the likes of the crows and GWS. Otherwise we will need to request games down there against the Hawks, Blues etc.

Melbourne powerhouse doesn't equal good game. Giving our game vs Carlton to Hobart in my opinion isn't as generous as giving a game against say Port. But a home game against Carlton at Etihad will draw a large crowd no matter how good or bad the game is. This is the strategy they should go for. Play good games in Hobart but don't play big Melbourne clubs down there.

Melbourne powerhouse doesn't equal good game. Giving our game vs Carlton to Hobart in my opinion isn't as generous as giving a game against say Port. But a home game against Carlton at Etihad will draw a large crowd no matter how good or bad the game is. This is the strategy they should go for. Play good games in Hobart but don't play big Melbourne clubs down there.
It would be nice if we can guarantee that playing good footy against decent sides will increase the likelihood of big crowds, but I think playing traditionally big clubs in Hobart (where people already have their allegiances is a better guarantee of sell outs. Not that I want that, but it is just logical that a supporter of Carlton will go see North play Carlton rather than North vs West Coast or Fremantle and I would guess that there are more Carlton supporters in Tassie than WCE and Freo combined.

For home games

I've already made my thoughts about the impact of selling games on the supporters attending games, so I won't repeat it in detail other than to say that that there is an opportunity cost playing games away from your home market, the money is good in the short-term but your local patrons get used to not attending football matches regularly, get used to watching games on TV.

I think the club is just rolling the dice and hoping on-field success will lead to significant more support in Melbourne in the short-term, if it doesn't then Hobart will be an abject disaster for the club and the AFL will use it as leverage to come at us again.

We are repeating some of the same mistakes of previous administrations. If we didn't increase our football department expenditure last year then we could have afforded to not renew our Hobart arrangement, it is not like we are dependant on that income. Our club sees it as the future, AFL wants us there and Hawthorn out and Tasmania want their own team, nobody at the club has explained how you can get the square cube through this round hole.

Also worth noting that both Richmond and St Kilda have strong Tasmanian links and followings through the likes of Baldock, Hart, Richardson and Riewoldt, all greats of their clubs. Tasmanians love seeing their local kids make it in the big time. Same with Hawthorn and the Hudsons (the reason SWMBO's family are all Hawks supporters). Maybe that makes GC attractive as a visiting team if Kolodjashnij comes on?

We can't just lump Hobart with rubbish games vs GWS etc.

I don't necessarily see it like this.

If I was a footy fan (hell, even if I wasn't) living in Hobart, I'd be keen to see any footy game. I don't think playing 'good teams' in Hobart will help with crowd figures significantly. It's purely a numbers game for me. If we're going to get 13k for the GWS vs NMFC at Etihad, play it at Blundstone and get the same number and make some cash off North vs Rich at Etihad.

That being said, GWS and GC aren't that far off being 'rubbish games', anyway, so might as well get our Hobart fans in early for some entertaining wins.

Richmond and St Kilda have strong Tasmanian links

I really think we're overestimating the crowd in Hobart.

If there's a max 20k seats, how many extra would you think the Richmond/St Kilda tenuous ties would account for? I think anyone who's willing to actively follow ex-Tassie locals AFL careers, are likely to attend any AFL match played in their home town.

I really think we're overestimating the crowd in Hobart.

If there's a max 20k seats, how many extra would you think the Richmond/St Kilda tenuous ties would account for? I think anyone who's willing to actively follow ex-Tassie locals AFL careers, are likely to attend any AFL match played in their home town.
What I'm getting at is that for those who got attached to footy in the pre-AFL era, Tasmanians were probably more likely to follow St Kilda, Richmond or Hawthorn than other Vic clubs thanks to how overrepresented those clubs were with great Tasmanian players, and that level of attachment probably still lingers, and probably makes marginally more sense from that perspective to schedule those teams in Hobart than the Bulldogs or Melbourne or a bigger club. Have a look at the list at http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...nian-footballers/story-fnj4f7h7-1227057134401

St Kilda: Baldock, Ian Stewart, Verdun Howell, Jim Ross (also N Riewoldt)
Richmond: Royce Hart, Ian Stewart, Matthew Richardson, Michael Roach (also J Riewoldt)
Hawthorn: Peter Hudson, Paul Hudson, Rocket Eade, Darrin Pritchard.

Apart from Howell I've left players from Poulter's list that I don't personally remember out of that group, and most of those guys above were superstars.

North's Tassie list is probably just Tiger Crosswell, Brady Rawlings, Nathan Grima and Ben Brown. The best players to play in the VFL/AFL for anyone other than Richmond, St Kilda and Hawthorn are Crosswell and Lynch. After that it's John Greening and Percy Jones.

Tassie guys ShinbonerBaz Saintly31 Engimal help me out here: how much do you lot love a returning favourite son?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're spot on RZ, people in Tas have probably followed teams in the past due to the Tasmanian champions playing in the teams, however I believe that's mainly a pre Live tv phenomenon and teams like North and Sydney have quite big followings due to the live friday night/sunday arvo games from the late 80's onward. I reckon we'll go close to the 20k.

Sent from somewhere using something or other.

As long as we are dependent upon opposition supporters to fill Etihad Stadium for our home games in order to reach break even point, then we are a target for relocation. The answer is not to demand all of our home games against Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and the drug cheats. The answer is to be self sufficient to the point where we can play GWS, GC, Brisbane, Freo, etc at Etihad and still make money.

As long as we are dependent upon opposition supporters to fill Etihad Stadium for our home games in order to reach break even point, then we are a target for relocation. The answer is not to demand all of our home games against Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and the drug cheats. The answer is to be self sufficient to the point where we can play GWS, GC, Brisbane, Freo, etc at Etihad and still make money.

How do we do this though? There's really only one fool proof way:

Win football games. Lots of them.

What I'm getting at is that for those who got attached to footy in the pre-AFL era, Tasmanians were probably more likely to follow St Kilda, Richmond or Hawthorn than other Vic clubs thanks to how overrepresented those clubs were with great Tasmanian players, and that level of attachment probably still lingers, and probably makes marginally more sense from that perspective to schedule those teams in Hobart than the Bulldogs or Melbourne or a bigger club. Have a look at the list at http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...nian-footballers/story-fnj4f7h7-1227057134401

St Kilda: Baldock, Ian Stewart, Verdun Howell, Jim Ross (also N Riewoldt)
Richmond: Royce Hart, Ian Stewart, Matthew Richardson, Michael Roach (also J Riewoldt)
Hawthorn: Peter Hudson, Paul Hudson, Rocket Eade, Darrin Pritchard.

Apart from Howell I've left players from Poulter's list that I don't personally remember out of that group, and most of those guys above were superstars.

North's Tassie list is probably just Tiger Crosswell, Brady Rawlings, Nathan Grima and Ben Brown. The best players to play in the VFL/AFL for anyone other than Richmond, St Kilda and Hawthorn are Crosswell and Lynch. After that it's John Greening and Percy Jones.

Tassie guys ShinbonerBaz Saintly31 Engimal help me out here: how much do you lot love a returning favourite son?

Probably showing my age, but i vaguely remember Darryl Sutton hailing from Tassie, and even that he was recruited in about 1973 and went home after only 1 year, only to return in 1976 and become a premiership player in 1977, he left us and went to Richmond for a couple of years and then onto Sydney, and i vaguely recall him being Captain of the Tassie state squad and was also a dual All Australian, dude could take good hanger too

Interesting that Melbournes gate receipts went up by approx. 50% , all due to Paul Roos ? i didn't think they had a lot of huge attendance games, especially in second half of the season, and their profit/loss looks more like a $2.8m loss than a profit, also they are not listed as having any pokie revenue, i thought they had more than one venue, the Bentleigh Club and some pub in Oakleigh
Spot on, they defo have the Bentleigh club

In other back room related news, it appears the club is growing its business development team from 2 to 4:
http://www.nmfc.com.au/club/employment

Adding a Corporate Sales Coordinator and a Business Development Executive

In other back room related news, it appears the club is growing its business development team from 2 to 4:
http://www.nmfc.com.au/club/employment

Adding a Corporate Sales Coordinator and a Business Development Executive
I have no experience in either field, in fact I don't think I meet any of the selection criteria (I get bored easily so I didn't read through completely) but I have always like the idea of working for the mighty NMFC, time to get creative with the resume.

Think the most important thing to look at is the Cash Flow Statement in terms of sheer viability of the club and it shows how far we've come. Day2Day operations wise (Net Operating cash flow) has increased significantly - having a circa $900k surplus in this area is phenomenal - and so vital for the club.
It underpins the underlying viability of the football club - that at its simplest, we have cash to meet everything we have to pay.

The biggest improvement can be seen in "net current liability position of $2,652,906 (2013: $5,341,781)". This number needs to keep coming down, and it looks like it has!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back