Resource 2015 NMFC Home Crowds Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong had 23000 to their home games that concerns me

What concerns me is anybody cares.

The games are live on tele, am sure if the AFL thought bums on seats were ultra important they wouldn't do it. But as the game raises more revenue via media than it does via a huge crowd its not relevant.

The whole crowd thing was generated for self interest and only gets trotted out when a self interest point requires to be made.

FWIW I work at Deakin Uni and Deakin are partners with the Cats, as in we can get free tickets to Geelong home games. There's around 35,000 people with access.

Collingwood always handed out freebies to their Etihad games. There so much smoke and mirrors related to the AFL it's no longer funny.

How many this week?

35k or is 40k a chance?

How many we get for the same game on a Friday night last year?

The game deserves a 45k+ crowd but the Hawks' fans aren't big fans of travelling to Etihad so my money would be on a crowd somewhere between the figures you mentioned, around 38k.

I might be wrong on the Doggies attendances, but it seems to me they get slightly more attending than us, and we get more as members than them, when compared to similar phases of the cycle.

It might mean they'll go watch H&A, but our guys take out a membership in case we're in a GF. ;)
They give out free memberships to anyone attending Vic Uni, so their numbers are scewed or screwed too.:rolleyes:

They give out free memberships to anyone attending Vic Uni, so their numbers are scewed or screwed too.:rolleyes:
Can't recall who it is but there's a Doggies poster who puts the "VU" in front of ANY mention of the Western Oval in his posts, even multiple times. I think he's working on commission for each plug of the uni or something.......

I had a thought, and I was going to start a new thread but it will kinda fit in here...

A lot of Melbourne based sides have to look for ventures outside of the state because attendances on game day at modern venues can leave teams needing to pay to play so to speak.

We hear about how saturated the Melbourne market is and it is there is a high proportion of footy on here every week.

But even in a saturated market there are gaps. There is a gap for the suburban footy experience.

A day of footy that looks a something like

TAC
VFL
AFL - 2:10 start

All this at a redeveloped suburban ground.

I know this doesn't exist, but why doesn't it? It seems to me that the number of games being sold to other areas in the aid of "furthering the game" is growing. Its not just sides with smaller supporter bases either. Richmond certainly do not have a small supporter base yet they have been in a situation where they felt the need to sell games.

There are multiple teams that would benefit. Most teams have successfully lobbied the vic governement for funding for training facilities, what if 5 teams banded together and lobbied the government for the redevelopment of 1 suburban ground?

When you think of the money that has been poured into Kadinia Park by successive state goverments and that only benefits one club, surely 5 Clubs could mount a case to have 1 ground redeveloped and maintained as a viable alternative to play low drawing games at.

Does anyone else see validity in this idea?

I had a thought, and I was going to start a new thread but it will kinda fit in here...

A lot of Melbourne based sides have to look for ventures outside of the state because attendances on game day at modern venues can leave teams needing to pay to play so to speak.

We hear about how saturated the Melbourne market is and it is there is a high proportion of footy on here every week.

But even in a saturated market there are gaps. There is a gap for the suburban footy experience.

TAC
VFL

I know this doesn't exist, but why doesn't it? It seems to me that the number of games being sold to other areas in the aid of "furthering the game" is growing. Its not just sides with smaller supporter bases either. Richmond certainly do not have a small supporter base yet they have been in a situation where they felt the need to sell games.

There are multiple teams that would benefit. Most teams have successfully lobbied the vic governement for funding for training facilities, what if 5 teams banded together and lobbied the government for the redevelopment of 1 suburban ground?

When you think of the money that has been poured into Kadinia Park by successive state goverments and that only benefits one club, surely 5 Clubs could mount a case to have 1 ground redeveloped and maintained as a viable alternative to play low drawing games at.

Yes, I do.

TAC
VFL

Totally.

The AFL could brand it as the AFL Community Engagement ground, with similar arrangements to the Huddle except run by the AFL, community gym with access to all AFL and club members, playgrounds for kids, they could run Vic based school competitions there, they could do the combine there, they could do a raft of things there.

Then on every other Saturday throughout the year they could play a TAC Game, followed by a VFL game, followed by a NM/StK/WB/Melb vs interstate team match. The best option would likely be Princes Park, but Carlton wouldn't hear of it, so a redeveloped Vic Park could be the best option.

Totally.

The AFL could brand it as the AFL Community Engagement ground, with similar arrangements to the Huddle except run by the AFL, community gym with access to all AFL and club members, playgrounds for kids, they could run Vic based school competitions there, they could do the combine there, they could do a raft of things there.

Then on every other Saturday throughout the year they could play a TAC Game, followed by a VFL game, followed by a NM/StK/WB/Melb vs interstate team match. The best option would likely be Princes Park, but Carlton wouldn't hear of it, so a redeveloped Vic Park could be the best option.

If the new state government's current trend of project approvals is to be followed we'd be better off proposing a shared ground in the Western suburbs, or at least inner West on old industrial or docklands land.

Totally.

Why wouldn't Carlton hear of it? That would be stupendiously stupid. It would be pretty much free money for them as they'd surely get a cut of the gate.

If the AFL is serious about giving the game back to the fans perhaps creating a situation where lower drawing clubs can emulate the game day experience that saw them survive for then best part of a century and a half before the TV rights may be a way to do it.

If the new state government's current trend of project approvals is to be followed we'd be better off proposing a shared ground in the Western suburbs, or at least inner West on old industrial or docklands land.

Western Oval?

North Port oval?

I honestly think that there is a gap that would see the footy public go to these games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prolly, but it sure ain't geographically central which is actually Glen Iris. If they wish to engage with the burbs they are better off with something in the inner east than out west, as west will likely stop those out on the other side of the city from engaging. It would be a colossal waste of money so........K put money on it being in the west.

Why wouldn't Carlton hear of it? That would be stupendiously stupid. It would be pretty much free money for them as they'd surely get a cut of the gate.

If the AFL is serious about giving the game back to the fans perhaps creating a situation where lower drawing clubs can emulate the game day experience that saw them survive for then best part of a century and a half before the TV rights may be a way to do it.

When the redeveloping of Princes Park was proposed awhile ago the local residents went ape s**t, objecting to virtually everything proposed, and the MCC listened. I can't see their ground hosting AFL games again because of this.

Prolly, but it sure ain't geographically central which is actually Glen Iris. If they wish to engage with the burbs they are better off with something in the inner east than out west, as west will likely stop those out on the other side of the city from engaging. It would be a colossal waste of money so........K put money on it being in the west.

East West link v's West Link logic is my guide.

Well I guess it could be worked out. I would think that the Bloos would not want to move, but my thought process would be that it would be a wholly AFL owned and operated venture without the perception that they are legging up any one specific club, but providing the people with their ground so to speak. A true community venture with no real active alignments. That said an upgraded PP would be excellent.

Dust off the E-Gate proposal again??

That definitely makes the most sense of the lot, particularly with a now redeveloped North Melbourne Station and an approved Arden (underground) Station. There's little doubt the E-Gate area will be developed one day. It's just a matter of how ballsy and crafty the AFL are in their lobbying of the state government and local council when it does reach the planning stage.

Well I guess it could be worked out. I would think that the Bloos would not want to move, but my thought process would be that it would be a wholly AFL owned and operated venture without the perception that they are legging up any one specific club, but providing the people with their ground so to speak. A true community venture with no real active alignments. That said an upgraded PP would be excellent.

Then perhaps the redevelopment of a VFL ground?

If a ground exists, and it can be reached in relative ease via public transport, I think that would be better than building an entire new stadium.

I don't think we will ever see E-Gate, hence the reason that I think a redveloped ground would be the way to go. A VFL ground would put paid to the idea of legging up one club.

East West link v's West Link logic is my guide.
I think it would need to be easily accessible by public transport too. Coming from the south east out to the west might be a put off for the 500,000 or so who live beyond Dandenong and the 250,000 in Franga and beyond.

I don't think we will ever see E-Gate, hence the reason that I think a redveloped ground would be the way to go. A VFL ground would put paid to the idea of legging up one club.

I do think E-Gate's development into a high population density suburb will happen one day. The land is prime for such a venture. It won't happen for years though, and there'd remain a huge question mark over whether or not the AFL would see a boutique stadium as necessary by then given that they'll be taking possession of Etihad relatively soon.

It's to late to start it, by the time you round up the support, gain funding, have the works started and completed and actually get the AFL to fixture game there it would be too late. The problem with Etihad is we can't make money, another ground would solve that problem but would introduce a raft of new issues. Until the AFL buy Etihad we will continue to struggle, the key is staying in the top half of the ladder, bottoming out like the Saints, Doggies and Melbourne will hurt but as long we can stay a attractive we should be OK.

Fixture:
Round 1: Adelaide in Adelaide
Round 2: Brisbane at suburban ground
Round 3: Port at suburban ground
Round 4: Gellong at Geelong
Round 5: Hawthorn at Etihad

How many this week?

35k or is 40k a chance?

How many we get for the same game on a Friday night last year?

This game is one of Hawthorn's nominated replacement home games, like previous years. Hawthorn fans for some reason do not like to come out to Docklands in strong numbers for some reason.

This game is one of Hawthorn's nominated replacement home games, like previous years. Hawthorn fans for some reason do not like to come out to Docklands in strong numbers for some reason.
I honestly struggle to comprehend this, especially from the clubs now housed mainly at the MCG.

Would these be the same people who bitch and moan about ground rationalisation and the loss of the old suburban ground cultures even though most of those grounds were a mix of some or all of s**t facilities, standing room and no cover?

I LIVED on public transport to the old footy grounds, especially trekking in and out of the city to VFL Park.

Yet these tossers stick their noses in the air and won't travel 3km further to a ground that shits all over any old suburban ground for spectator comfort and cover, good surface and not really a bad seat in the house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back