Autopsy 2016 AFL Grand Final - Western Bulldogs 13.11.89 d Sydney Swans 10.7.67

Remove this Banner Ad

That was frantic. And in those contests - from when Papley's kick gets charged down on the wing; Biggs is caught running with the ball twice, air swings twice. Umps don't call it twice. Two minutes later in centre square Buddy gets caught, air swing, PEEEEEP! Though Boyd kicks the goal anyway. Perfectly illustrated the free kick count and how corrupt this game was.
I dont recall any obvious free kicks in the passage described. Franklins one was clear as day

I get the feeling the number of people who claim to be neutral, and who arent in fact actually neutral, would be 2 very different numbers.

Dogs got a couple of lucky frees, but the thing is, even though the Swans didnt get many frees, they also got a couple of lucky frees.

Kicking for goal was far more important. Just like with our game against the Dogs. We lost the free kick count, but there was a time when we were a few goals up that with straight kicking we could have been 6 or even 7 goals up - and I dont think the Dogs would have got back in the game.

But I am glad we have seen an end to the free kick Hawthorn crap.
Pretty sure the Dogs missed some easy ones in the first half as well

My player ratings /10

0 - Tippett (Absolutely pathetic, pea-hearted performance from Kurt. If he had've had any sort of positive influence for us at any stage throughout any of the contests during the 120 minutes it would've given the team just a slighter chance of winning. That would've been enough for me. But he never got involved at any stage. Absolute garbage. Floated around all day like he had no idea where he was. His lack of effort and endeavour to will himself into the contest and put his heart & soul on the line for the Grand Final was a fair-dinkum disgrace and has led to me giving him this brutal bake, but it's just not good enough. Fix it Kurt.)

0 - Coaches (Why did we pick blokes who weren't fit? Why weren't we adaptable enough to try new combinations - like the Dogs did - in the last quarter when we the starting mids were cooked? Where was Heeney or Kennedy or even Grundy going forward late? Why wasn't Buddy tried in the midfield? Should've played Marsh instead of McVeigh. Should've had a plan B.
Horse cooked it - 9/10 from Round 1 to prelim, 0/10 on GF day. Got the selections wrong and was reactive on gameday. Incredibly important draft / trade period coming up for us. Lessons to learn.)

Congrats to the Dogs. The Swans and the umpires gave you plenty of help though.

That's way too harsh on Tippet who it's true did little forward, but the forwards coach should surely take plenty of the blame there. Tippet was good in the ruck during 3rd and 4th, and followed up his tapwork to make contests at ground level. Naismath was a liability in that the dogs had his taps down pat - most were soft and to his backhand and very oft gave Dogs first use. We really needed Sinclair to take a few marks forward and out of defence in this game - he was missed badly, though Naismath had a good month over all.
I agree Mcveigh didn't do much, but he is really tailing off and prob won't hold his place next year. Respectfully I think he should be retired so Tich can get his money. Mills was a liability. For all his usual sound defense one-on-one in the air, he is worryingly slow. I thought we should have gotten a few more games into Foote this year. Form deserved it, and would have been much better than both Mills and McV in the GF. He and Marsh would have been much better in hindsight.
Horse is usually very stubborn with his selections - keeping Richards out this year and a few years back, Mitchell last year. Keeping Hewett in for prob longer than deserved.
You could probably give Tich a 7.5 - he toiled real hard.

In any case there is no way we were going to win that game. Only 1 free in a half of football - the fix was in and the AFL has become like the NBA in choosing winners via officiating. So player ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Dogs got a couple of lucky frees, but the thing is, even though the Swans didnt get many frees, they also got a couple of lucky frees.

Didn't get many frees!!? They got one in an entire half of football? Can you ever remember a game in which that has happened?
And this was a game which was VERY even (in all respects except the umpiring), so it's plain wrong to argue the Dogs just got to the ball first.

This game was very clearly rigged to come out one way. While it's not impossible the umps were paid by gamblers; I think it very likely the AFL wanted a Victorian premiership and great story. They are now an "entertainment" company more than a sporting body.

Didn't get many frees!!? They got one in an entire half of football? Can you ever remember a game in which that has happened?
And this was a game which was VERY even (in all respects except the umpiring), so it's plain wrong to argue the Dogs just got to the ball first.

This game was very clearly rigged to come out one way. While it's not impossible the umps were paid by gamblers; I think it very likely the AFL wanted a Victorian premiership and great story. They are now an "entertainment" company more than a sporting body.

Might be being a bit sour grapes there.

Very serious accusations mate.

Umpiring wasn't up to standard for sure, but if we selected the right team and played our best fast & instinctive Swans footy all day we would have won anyway.

We didn't pick the right team and didn't get the big lead in the first half that we thought we would - cause heaps of blokes were cooked including the ones we brought in - and then got worried about the result instead and fearing the loss more than being in the moment like the Dogs and striving to win.

Spruiking conspiracies about AFL house rigging the game like that comes across very sour and gives Swans fans a bad name.

That's way too harsh on Tippet who it's true did little forward, but the forwards coach should surely take plenty of the blame there. Tippet was good in the ruck during 3rd and 4th, and followed up his tapwork to make contests at ground level. Naismath was a liability in that the dogs had his taps down pat - most were soft and to his backhand and very oft gave Dogs first use. We really needed Sinclair to take a few marks forward and out of defence in this game - he was missed badly, though Naismath had a good month over all.
I agree Mcveigh didn't do much, but he is really tailing off and prob won't hold his place next year. Respectfully I think he should be retired so Tich can get his money. Mills was a liability. For all his usual sound defense one-on-one in the air, he is worryingly slow. I thought we should have gotten a few more games into Foote this year. Form deserved it, and would have been much better than both Mills and McV in the GF. He and Marsh would have been much better in hindsight.
Horse is usually very stubborn with his selections - keeping Richards out this year and a few years back, Mitchell last year. Keeping Hewett in for prob longer than deserved.
You could probably give Tich a 7.5 - he toiled real hard.

In any case there is no way we were going to win that game. Only 1 free in a half of football - the fix was in and the AFL has become like the NBA in choosing winners via officiating. So player ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt.
I'll stick by my player ratings too,
Tippett stunk like rhino poo. #poetry

Last edited:
Pretty obvious synopsis for this one: The dogs had more winners of positional battles on the day and their bottom 6 players were far, far better than sydney's. Franklin's ankle injury and Hannebery hurting his knee at the start of the last quarter were big moments also.

Haha wahhhhhhhhhh. Umps or no umps we still beat you. You havent beaten us for 2 and a half years. We are better than you. End of story

Watch that tin hat does not fall off in the wind matey ;)

Watch that tin hat does not fall off in the wind matey ;)
OK, well you name me a game where a team gets 1 or less free kicks in an entire half of football.
It's not like there are a lack of clear cut examples:
Biggs caught on the run and drops it cold TWICE in the open with game in the balance in the 4th.
3 below the leg frees not paid. Sure miss one, ok they got the wrong angle. Miss three?
Jack got ridden into the ground like a freaking rodeo horse inside the 50 during the third. The whole stadium saw it. (Anyway he prob would've missed it - he's never been much of a set shot).

You don't think the AFL orchestrate things? Priority picks, GWS draft selections - then realizing they've given too much take back their salary cap early, The Swans trade ban for breaking....no rule. That's also a long list. Fact is Victorians are going to be mad when GWS start dominating; this was a feel good story the AFL heirarchy weren't going to miss.

OK, well you name me a game where a team gets 1 or less free kicks in an entire half of football.
Biggs caught on the run and drops it cold TWICE in the open with game in the balance in the 4th.
3 below the leg frees not paid. Sure miss one, ok they got the wrong angle. Miss three?
Jack got ridden into the ground like a freaking rodeo horse inside the 50 during the third. The whole stadium saw it. (Anyway he prob would've missed it - he's never been much of a set shot).

You don't think the AFL orchestrate things? Priority picks, GWS draft selections - then realizing they've given too much take back their salary cap early, The Swans trade ban for breaking....no rule. That's also a long list. Fact is Victorians are going to be mad when GWS start dominating; this was a feel good story the AFL heirarchy weren't going to miss.

Sydney Swans

30 years of COLA
Academies
19 men on the field

And the AFL is against ya hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Gee I wish the AFL screwed us over in the same way, man that sucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. I had no idea! Tell me, how do you know so much about me?

Not only did the Dogs win the flag, their supporters have supernatural powers.

Is there nothing the mighty Dogs can't do?

Okay then.........

It seems I underestimated your levels of crazy. Please accept my apology and continue on with your insane ranting.

Western Bulldogs 13.11.89
Sydney 10.7.67
Premiers: Western Bulldogs
The score is all that matters moron.

Spot on Gavin. Just another Swans fan who cant accept they were beaten by a superior side.

I can lead you to the water...if you taped the game go and watch the 4th.

Papley gets his kick charged down on the wing. Bit of a scramble, Biggs comes away from it, running toward the boundary and tries to hook one over his left shoulder into the fifty. But he's tackled, huge air swing, dropped. NO WHISTLE!?
Subsequently the ball scrambled into the fifty where it is FRANTIC, tackles everywhere, nobody can get clear...until Biggs gets it, takes three steps shapes to kick a match winner goal to put them 7 up (I think it was); BUT he's tackled! Huge air swing. NO WHISTLE!!?? A minute later Dogs score.
Then of course Buddy is caught cold and rightly a free is paid, but not needed as Boyd seals the win.

Again: One free kick in an entire half of football. I really don't need to say more than that.
I'd be surprised if that has EVER happened even in a one sided 100 point thrashing let alone a VERY tight physical game like the GF was.
This game was fixed. As obvious as the knee injury given to Hanners when being legged.

Sydney also got two 50m penalties which are far more valuable than free kicks. Both correct calls, one produced a goal.

Umpires always miss stuff both ways, e.g. Kennedy's second goal when Parker jumped on Wood's back

Sydney 10.7.67Ali
The score is all that matters moron.
Oh well argued Woofa. Compelling use of evidence and rhetoric.
Yes the score is all that matters for the history books.
Like Ali's "phantom punch" on Liston - Ali was recorded as the winner. But everybody knows the fight was fixed and Liston took a dive.

212153, member: 129514"]Oh well argued Woofa. Compelling use of evidence and rhetoric.
Like Ali's "phantom punch" on Liston - Ali was recorded as the winner. But everybody knows the fight was fixed and Liston took a dive.[/QUOTE]
Ha Ha Ha. Sour grapes *******. DOGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Ali's "phantom punch" on Liston - Ali was recorded as the winner. But everybody knows the fight was fixed and Liston took a dive.
Sydney 10.7.67Ali

Your mob has been robbing teams of their best players and chances of flags for 20 years and now you expected people to feel sorry for your mob? Get real.....
Could not have happened to a slimier team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back