Analysis 2016 AFL Trade Week Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard from reliable "[sources]" Mitch Clark is coming to Port...

from a guy who's Twitter profile pic is Pitbull morphing into a pitbull

From the same guy:

About as likely as each other. Something you want to tell us The Smaller Warrior?

The Crows have 7 players in the under 22 team of the year. They'll be damn good in 2019 and beyond.

Actually it was only two in the final team.

But geez, take that team with a pinch of salt.

This is the team that Ollie Wines couldn't get in, in both his 1st and 2nd season.

Pretty happy Adelaide didn't land Gibbs. Said a couple weeks back when he announced he wanted to return that he'd be huge for the Crows, he's made a very successful transition to the midfield after a couple of years in the wilderness on the half back line. Very classy player, and I hope we're in a position to have a proper crack next year as he'd be a huge asset to our mids.
A couple of customers I spoke to this week believe that Fyfe is in the bag for them for next year so Gibbs was just a diversion apparently.

The Crows have 7 players in the under 22 team of the year. They'll be damn good in 2019 and beyond.

Not selling the farm for Gibbs was absolutely the right move - contrary to popular thought, their Premiership clock is at about 9, not 11. A classy inside/outside mid in this years draft will see them consolidate and time their run perfectly IMO.

Port fans should have been hoping they gave up 13 and a good player, would've set them back.
6 in the 'squad' after they gave away Lyons for a packet of chips, consistency wise he was more deserving of a nomination than Brad Crouch who got a spot based on his potential.

Of that group of youngsters that showed promise can't see Atkins going on with it like the other 5 might & being any better than a vanilla mid who does stupid celebrations when he does something AFL standard.

Laird & Lever potential A grade, Matt/Brad Crouch, Mcgovern & Cameron solid B graders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Barlow was deemed to have no trade value is beyond me. He's not an A-grader but he can play a bloody good link up role in the mould of a Brad Ebert.

You need to remember the world we live in these days. All clubs know who's is and isn't out of contract, who's been offered a contract etc. If other clubs were pretty well sure he's being delisted there's no longer a point trading for him, better of talking directly to him and selecting him as a DFA.

A couple of customers I spoke to this week believe that Fyfe is in the bag for them for next year so Gibbs was just a diversion apparently.

Rockliff
Martin
Hartlett
Gibbs
Barlow

now Fyfe?

They're deluded.

Rockliff
Martin
Hartlett
Gibbs
Barlow

now Fyfe?

They're deluded.
and that's what makes it so much fun. They really don't have anyone using reason do they.

They can't keep the big names they have so why do they think any superstar of the game would want to go to them?

You need to remember the world we live in these days. All clubs know who's is and isn't out of contract, who's been offered a contract etc. If other clubs were pretty well sure he's being delisted there's no longer a point trading for him, better of talking directly to him and selecting him as a DFA.

Normally a player in this situation would have an offer from another club, and would request a trade to that club. Barlow doesn't strike me as the sort of player to not want Freo to get some compensation for his departure. I also thought I read on here that Barlow did have an offer from Freo but that he declined it.

Normally a player in this situation would have an offer from another club, and would request a trade to that club. Barlow doesn't strike me as the sort of player to not want Freo to get some compensation for his departure. I also thought I read on here that Barlow did have an offer from Freo but that he declined it.

First I've heard of that one!

Freo intend to delist him, its not like him searching for a move, or as far as I know rejecting a contract... where did you read that.

6 in the 'squad' after they gave away Lyons for a packet of chips, consistency wise he was more deserving of a nomination than Brad Crouch who got a spot based on his potential.

Of that group of youngsters that showed promise can't see Atkins going on with it like the other 5 might & being any better than a vanilla mid who does stupid celebrations when he does something AFL standard.

Laird & Lever potential A grade, Matt/Brad Crouch, Mcgovern & Cameron solid B graders.
Fair enough, I think McGovern and Cameron will be A- types. Milera too.

When you looked at their age profile by 2019, they'll likely have lost Betts - although I think he'll be one of those types that sticks around for ages. Thompson - meh. Jacobs - yeah ok, need to find a ruckman. Douglas - meh. Maybe Jenkins although his late start should see him kick on.

Don't know about you, but compared to their next bracket down - Talia, Sloane, Walker and then again with aforementioned youngsters, the ones they'll lose are pretty average. They're looking good if they can regenerate the above with a bit of talent from the draft - especially considering that this year, they won 16 games.

Getting Gibbs would have been a huge mistake at the price Carlton were asking. Would have been a minor mistake at the price Adelaide were purported to have been willing to pay - Pick 13 and a fringe player.

Freo intend to delist him, its not like him searching for a move, or as far as I know rejecting a contract... where did you read that.

BrockBlitz on the List Management thread suggested it. No idea what his/her source is.

Exhibit A on how to be the most unpopular poster on the Port Board:

Didn't know where to start so just ctrl-f'd "s**t"
I just don't like us gambling on a strong 2017 after the 2 years of s**t our list and coaches have produced.
Thank God we can't trade out 2 years ahead otherwise we'd truly **** ourselves.
Might as well go for the Jesse White & Chris Dawes double to see if we can out s**t Collingwood this trade period.
It's a 's**t situation' made by our own doings and yet no blame ever gets put on a person/s for doing so.
Filling it again with more lucky dip types won't rectify this at all, without considerable luck. It wont come through the eye of Geoff Parker, that's for sure.
The risk of trading out 2017 first round pick and it being a very high one - which we're still barreling towards it being coming off two years of s**t and no list changes, and then the quality of those picks within the round Macca.

It is not even remotely unreasonable to be dissatisfied with the outcome of this trade week.
There's just no accountability in this trade. If it goes to s**t next year, everyone should be sacked before this trade is even factored into the decision.
PAFC
Please take down your heading on the web page that states - "Port secures three top 30 picks"
We already had 9, all you have now managed to do is lose a future first round pick for 2 mediocre picks, if that.
Stop trying to spin your way out of s**t.
Well that'd be great if we had pick 30, that pick could get blown out after academy picks.

This deal would've been s**t even if we got pick 19 & 22.
So crap and gutted
The only saving grace you have when you have a s**t season is to go to the draft early.

If we have a bad year next year it will kill us.
Sure does put a lot of pressure on the whole club to perform in 2017, otherwise we've just burnt our best pick since Wingard on 19 and 30.

Plus 67, you know just to put a cherry on top of this s**t sundae.
The problem with the way our club has been for the last 2 years we all know this is exactly the sort of stupid s**t we would do
Yeah I'm losing my s**t. I don't like the idea of mortgaging the future for picks now, especially when it's an even odds bet we'll be searching for a new senior coach at the end of next year.
If we trade away pick 9...

I've already started to glaze over whenever there's a Port news story... I'm just becoming numb to this s**t now. So far, everything they've said since the end of the season has just been completely false.

*insert George Costanza pic in place of Chris Davies*
This trade is completely ****** on so many levels! I don't give a s**t what the points system says. Our 2017 1st rounder is far more valuable to us than 19 and 30 this year!
I know we've all had fun with the George Constanza memes but this just got real...Chris Davies is way out of his depth and setting the club back years if not decades!!

Got anything to say for yourself Chris?

costanza-wink.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back