2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What has seemed to be an even pack all year does seem to be separating a bit. I'm a casual observer at best, but the talk does seem to suggest that McGrath and McCluggage are now a clear 1 & 2, which means we're in a very good place.

Francis is playing forward in the VFL, also Shaw said all this talk about McGrath being an 1/2 back flanker is rubbish, he said he is a midfielder and during his school footy days was used to being tagged which hasn't happened at Tac cup level, also said when ever the team need goals they would throw McGrath forward and he was excellent when playing forward and can take really strong marks, also he has really powerful legs so he holds his ground.

And killing it might I add. Star in the making.

I have set myself for months expecting to take McCluggage, but know the club is giving little messages that McGrath will be pick 1.
Both our teams will be delighted whichever of these 2 we take, good luck with the draft guys, going to be bloody exciting once again.
Don't be too certain on having pick 1. I still have that slight glimmer of hope the AFL gives us pick 1 :D

Any Go home with McCluggage? Or is he a safe bet to stay with us.
I knwo that there were some concerns over contested possessions? Speed? Has he been tagged before?

It's hard to tell with the go home factor. That's what the physiologists are for though.

Contested ball ability isn't too bad. Will get better with added size. Speeds fine. Not spectacular by any means.

Probably been tagged, but generally tagging is frowned upon in the lower levels.

We are clearly the worst team in the comp. I believe the pick 1 should be ours.
Gotcha.

I've gotten used to that. "Fair" is not something I expect out of this comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to tell with the go home factor. That's what the physiologists are for though.

Contested ball ability isn't too bad. Will get better with added size. Speeds fine. Not spectacular by any means.

Probably been tagged, but generally tagging is frowned upon in the lower levels.
Wow, these physiologists today can even work wonders with the mind as well.

I still really like Ainsworth if Essendon take McGrath. Such a dynamic player and we need some pace in the midfield.
If we can somehow end up with another pick in the 6-10 range we could potentially nab Ainsworth in addition to McCluggage/McGrath. I'd love to add Ainsworth to our list and hope we do when all is said and done, however, I don't think we can go past one of McCluggage/McGrath with pick 2. McGrath has rose all year to the point where he is now being talked about as a genuine number 1 contender. McCluggage has put together one of the best years ever seen from a midfielder in the TAC Cup. The fact that he's averaged 29 disposals and 2 goals whilst copping a tag at times is crazy. Either way I am confident we'll be adding an elite young talent to our list.

Personally I favour McGrath just that little bit more due to the tantalising prospect of adding a player with speed who likes to take the game on but who also has the ability to rack up the footy unlike other quick players in the league like Johannisen, Hill brothers and Jetta. Plus his leadership ability is top notch.

If we can somehow end up with another pick in the 6-10 range we could potentially nab Ainsworth in addition to McCluggage/McGrath. I'd love to add Ainsworth to our list and hope we do when all is said and done, however, I don't think we can go past one of McCluggage/McGrath with pick 2. McGrath has rose all year to the point where he is now being talked about as a genuine number 1 contender. McCluggage has put together one of the best years ever seen from a midfielder in the TAC Cup. The fact that he's averaged 29 disposals and 2 goals whilst copping a tag at times is crazy. Either way I am confident we'll be adding an elite young talent to our list.

Personally I favour McGrath just that little bit more due to the tantalising prospect of adding a player with speed who likes to take the game on but who also has the ability to rack up the footy unlike other quick players in the league like Johannisen, Hill brothers and Jetta. Plus his leadership ability is top notch.

Yeah, I'm pretty much locked in on McCluggage (not a fan) or McGrath at 2. If we manage a second top 10 pick, I'm hoping for Ainsworth or SPS (kind of become the forgotten man).

Yeah, I'm pretty much locked in on McCluggage (not a fan) or McGrath at 2. If we manage a second top 10 pick, I'm hoping for Ainsworth or SPS (kind of become the forgotten man).
I haven't forgotten SPS. Still a big fan and would love for us to draft him. I just can't see us taking him at pick 2 over one of the Mc's though and I can't see him slipping out of the top 5(Freo pick 3 the most likely) so I don't rate the chances of us being in a position to grab him. Would be a fantastic addition though.

For those interested below are some highlights of McGrath in the TAC Cup GF over the weekend

https://www.facebook.com/taccupfooty/videos/vb.142264879138232/1252352184796157/?type=2&theater

He just runs all day, links up with teammates and accumulates the footy. As you can probably tell he is always looking to the take the game on, he has outstanding agility which helps him weave in and out of traffic and he has a high footy IQ as he is always running to the right spots. An athletic freak with elite speed, endurance and agility, terrific leadership ability and he goes alright out on the footy field as well...

You'll often see people talking about how he stands up when the game is on the line and consistently wills his team to win late in matches. An element of that is the fact that he undoubtedly thrives in the big moments and has the confidence to grab games by the scruff of the neck but I think the main reason for that is his ability to run all day. When everyone else is fatigued late in games he is still running around like it's the 1st quarter.

I fear his stocks will only rise after the combine in which he will no doubt perform well meaning he could very well be out of reach but as we've all said, McCluggage would be a great consolation prize.

Francis is playing forward in the VFL, also Shaw said all this talk about McGrath being an 1/2 back flanker is rubbish, he said he is a midfielder and during his school footy days was used to being tagged which hasn't happened at Tac cup level, also said when ever the team need goals they would throw McGrath forward and he was excellent when playing forward and can take really strong marks, also he has really powerful legs so he holds his ground.
Ok, I didn't know Francis had spent time forward this year. Any closer to knowing where he'll end up, or is it just a matter of where the team feels he's needed?
I can't comment on McGrath, but some of the opinions on the draft board appear to be that he'll be better off half back than as a full time mid.

Hey guys haven't posted in a while but thought I'd add some colour on McGrath. I met his dad at a function a while ago (without realising) and spoke with him about footy for a good hour. The family are Canadian (as am I) and came over when Andrew was 5 (which to me bodes extremely well for homesickness etc). The family are massive Saints supporters and at the time Andrew was rated on the fringe of top 10 so hoping to get there in the draft. I joked thay I hoped we didn't pick him up if he was set on the Saints and had a good laugh but got the distinct sense it wasn't an issue. Having not heard of Andrew prior to the interaction I can see where he gets his leadership from, his dad is a very impressive man. He's got a great career and actively promotes Canadian interests in Australia outside of it. Make of that what you will but I think he and his family have the right sort of character that we're crying out for at the lions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ok, I didn't know Francis had spent time forward this year. Any closer to knowing where he'll end up, or is it just a matter of where the team feels he's needed?
I can't comment on McGrath, but some of the opinions on the draft board appear to be that he'll be better off half back than as a full time mid.

I don't think the club or supporters have the slightest clue, I'm hoping forward as he can kick 60m bombs and has such a powerful burst of speed, hands are like glue, but he reads the play so well across 1/2 back.
Most of us will be happy as long as he's out there, Francis has the most potential for a player I have seen walk through the doors at Essendon, I know potential is a dirty word.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back