Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the one senior game? Short pass to the man on the mark with our whole side well forward.

I also saw one blinder of a pass across his body from boundary line - lace out through traffic to Cripps at CHF.

I'll wait to see more before I pass judgement on his kicking skills.

I also saw one blinder of a pass across his body from boundary line - lace out through traffic to Cripps at CHF.

I'll wait to see more before I pass judgement on his kicking skills.
I'd say his kicking is above average. Its not Scotland-like where it's just always to the perfect spot, but very good nonetheless.

We still need 2 KPFs, 2 Rucks and 8-10 midfielders over the next 2 years. The only area the club has covered off satisfactorily is the defence. Free agents are cherries on top stuff and we're bloody miles off that. If you're serious about turning the club into drafting/trading powerhouse like GWS then the road we're on is the right one. SOS said it would take 3 years to build a "competitive" list, not a "premiership" list. We still have 3 to 4 more years of drafting to do to get to that stage.

Ask the Pies how they're going with Wells. Done his calf already. Didn't cost them anything in draft picks, but it did cost them $1.8m over 3 years for a 30yo injury-prone player. They always cost something.....more often than not plenty. Daisy cost us Betts and the compo pick we would've got for Betts. They always cost plenty.

No. No ******* shortcuts.

Just because the Pies are stupid enough to sign Mayne and Wells to ridiculous contracts doesn't mean we need to as well.

It is possible to sign FA's at 26 years old without chronic injuries - that's who we should be targeting.

I agree we still need another 12 quality players.

If we can get 4 of these as FA's without costing draft picks?

I.e. 2 in 2017 and another 2 in 2018.

We would be negligent not to do so.

These will only cost us if we lose quality players to FA at the same time.

It seems to me the only players we could lose in this manner are Levi and MK.

Neither would get us much in a compensation anyway - so what are we losing?

And why would this be a short cut?

We still need 2 KPFs, 2 Rucks and 8-10 midfielders over the next 2 years. The only area the club has covered off satisfactorily is the defence. Free agents are cherries on top stuff and we're bloody miles off that. If you're serious about turning the club into drafting/trading powerhouse like GWS then the road we're on is the right one. SOS said it would take 3 years to build a "competitive" list, not a "premiership" list. We still have 3 to 4 more years of drafting to do to get to that stage.

Ask the Pies how they're going with Wells. Done his calf already. Didn't cost them anything in draft picks, but it did cost them $1.8m over 3 years for a 30yo injury-prone player. They always cost something.....more often than not plenty. Daisy cost us Betts and the compo pick we would've got for Betts. They always cost plenty.

No. No ******* shortcuts.
Lol 8-10 midfielders over the next two years. You're ******* delusional

Just found this on afl.com.au

We have the 5th youngest list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-03/total-list-breakdown-all-the-key-stats

OLDEST TO YOUNGEST AVERAGE AGE

West Coast 24 years, 330 days
Greater Western Sydney 24y, 219d
Fremantle 24y, 207d
Hawthorn 24y, 184d
Essendon 24y, 102d
Geelong 24y, 18d
St Kilda 23y, 350d
Richmond 23y, 344d
Adelaide 23y, 340d
Western Bulldogs 23y, 322d
Collingwood 23y, 319d
Gold Coast 23y, 305d
Port Adelaide 23y, 286d
Carlton 23y, 299d
Sydney 23y, 265d
Melbourne 23y, 233d
North Melbourne 23y, 218d
Brisbane Lions 22y, 225d

I just went to type up a B22 and my phone auto suggested one..

Ive obviously typed it so many times it know.. look i won't type a character after FB and see what happens

FB: Weitering Marchbank Plowman
HB: Dochert Rowe Simpson
R: Kreuzer Cripps Gibbs
C: Cuningham E.Curnow Murphy
HF: Sumner Casboult Wright
FF: Silvagni McKay C

I assume the C is probably Charlie Curnow hahah how good is that. Phone knows whats up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No surprises here :-

CyuCRx4VQAI_Ru5.jpg

Age of our list looks about 23.56 on average from what I just looked at:

Simpson, Kade 32.58
Armfield, Dennis 29.95
Thomas, Dale 29.45
Murphy, Marc 29.38
Silvagni, Alex 29.18
Rowe, Sam 29.04
White, Simon 28.46
Palmer, Rhys 27.8
Gibbs, Bryce 27.72
Kreuzer, Matthew 27.56
Curnow, Ed 27.07
Wright, Matthew 26.97
Casboult, Levi 26.72
Sheehan, Ciaran 26.04
Jones, Liam 25.77
Phillips, Andrew 25.42
Korcheck, Matthew 25.14
Gorringe, Daniel 24.5
Smedts, Billie 24.49
Lamb, Jed 24.12
Buckley, Dylan 23.72
Kerridge, Sam 23.61
Sumner, Liam 23.3
Boekhorst, Blaine 23.25
Docherty, Sam 23.13
Gallucci, Andrew 22.85
Graham, Nick 22.48
Plowman, Lachlan 22.23
Jaksch, Kristian 22.16
Byrne, Ciaran 21.99
Cripps, Patrick 21.71
Pickett, Jarrod 20.29
Marchbank, Caleb 19.99
Glass-McCasker, Jesse 19.92
Curnow, Charlie 19.83
Cuningham, David 19.68
Weitering, Jacob 19.03
Silvagni, Jack 18.96
McKay, Harry 18.94
Petrevski-Seton, Sam 18.79
Polson, Cameron 18.73
Macreadie, Harrison 18.65
LeBois, Kym 18.54
Fisher, Zac 18.47
Kerr, Pat 18.34
Williamson, Tom 17.98

Last edited:
Gibbs, Simpson, Buckley, Boekhorst, Graham, Lamb, Thomas, Palmer & Kerridge are potentially all players that could be replaced within 2 years. Would you expect Wright to still be going around in 2 years time??? If Murphy keeps getting bunged up would he still be going around at 32??? There's 9-11 and I haven't gone looking too hard. Allowing 1 to 3 of those may still be on our books after this time does 8-10 still seem unrealistic, let alone delusional???

You can think he's delusional all you like Irene but he's bang on the money there !!!

We have too many non-descript mids on the list that are under the pump to perform or are nearing the end of their tenure as players, they have to be replaced in addition to hoping that those recently drafted can kick on big time.

You can think he's delusional all you like Irene but he's bang on the money there !!!

We have too many non-descript mids on the list that are under the pump to perform or are nearing the end of their tenure as players, they have to be replaced in addition to hoping that those recently drafted can kick on big time.

Plop 4 gun mids in, couple of top rated KP's in...........I like it.

I just went to type up a B22 and my phone auto suggested one..

Ive obviously typed it so many times it know.. look i won't type a character after FB and see what happens

FB: Weitering Marchbank Plowman
HB: Dochert Rowe Simpson
R: Kreuzer Cripps Gibbs
C: Cuningham E.Curnow Murphy
HF: Sumner Casboult Wright
FF: Silvagni McKay C

I assume the C is probably Charlie Curnow hahah how good is that. Phone knows whats up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not dumping two whole drafts at the midfield issue: that's where free agency and the odd trade will come in.

Of the blokes on our list with satisfactory attributes, we only need 5 to go up a notch on recent performance (junior or senior) for us to have good cover. My list for that is:

Smedts, Sumner, Thomas, Sheehan, Fisher, Boekhorst, Buckley, Cuningham, Polson, Pickett, LaBois, Wright

Five of those, combined with Byrne, Docherty, Cripps, Gibbs, SPS, Murphy, and the Curnow brothers, and we have the core structure of a good midfield. The rest can be solid role players if we can get 7 or more of those above average and elite types on the park regularly.

So that's 5 out of 12 being likely 150 game prospects, before outside acquisitions. Drafting 10 more midfielders will take at least 3 drafts. In such a stretch, I'd take 3-5 good ones as a massive win.

Once again, some Carlton fans are showing their unrealistic expectations haven't really gone anywhere since the Elliot era, just morphed.

And just how do you get all those players? Keep drafting and developing and perhaps take a strategical free agent or two. No use drafting all those kids if you prematurely decide they aren't good enough and you are not going to back them in. The likes of McKay and, perhaps, Ben Silvagni are going to struggle if we suddenly decide to put all our faith in someone like Peter Wright (if he's a target), they'll get disgruntled and move on.

It's actually not far off the mark.

We have Cripps, SPS and who? Murphy getting old, will probably retire after 2018, Gibbs likely to be gone end of 2017 and Thomas who's not up to it anymore.

Kerridge and Graham not AFL standard.

I'd like to hope all our draftees will succeed at AFL level but chances are they won't. I like the way Fisher goes about it but he has a lot of bulking up to do in the next 2 years.

Next year we need to go to the draft big time. We will have a top 5 pick, I'm pretty sure of that given we will most likely be playing our 2015 draftees a lot more.

But we need at the very least 3 first round picks imo. We can get them by:

1) - Trade our 2018 1st pick for another top #7 2017 pick
2) - Trade Gibbs to Crows in a deal that involves their 1st and 2nd pick

Once we get those 3 1st rounders, we should spend them on the best 3 mids available.

It's actually not far off the mark.

We have Cripps, SPS and who? Murphy getting old, will probably retire after 2018, Gibbs likely to be gone end of 2017 and Thomas who's not up to it anymore.

Kerridge and Graham not AFL standard.

I'd like to hope all our draftees will succeed at AFL level but chances are they won't. I like the way Fisher goes about it but he has a lot of bulking up to do in the next 2 years.

Next year we need to go to the draft big time. We will have a top 5 pick, I'm pretty sure of that given we will most likely be playing our 2015 draftees a lot more.

But we need at the very least 3 first round picks imo. We can get them by:

1) - Trade our 2018 1st pick for another top #7 2017 pick
2) - Trade Gibbs to Crows in a deal that involves their 1st and 2nd pick

Once we get those 3 1st rounders, we should spend them on the best 3 mids available.
Well 1) the time frame is wrong, 8-10 anything is impossible in a two-year period. It's just not feasible. 2) the requirement. It depends what you want.. 8-10 what? Great mids? Decent mids? Plodders? A mix? What's the content of the 8-10.

What we neeeed. Is about 3 elite midfielders more. (Assuming Cripps and SPS will be elite for the next 10 years+) now they can come from our stock, Charlie Curnow, Cuningham, Fisher, Polson, Williamson, Pickett, Sumner. Or from outside the club via draft or trade.

We need a spattering of B Graders as well.. whether its those above who dont become elite or other picks.

So yeah. I think we'll have one elite mid out of our current stock to step up. Meaning Cripps SPS +1,

I think to move forward to our finals and premiership side we therefore need. 2 more elite mids. One more KPF and a ruckman.

So lets focus on that over the next two years. We'll need to throw a few darts to do so. But the ones that miss become the fringe players that we need.

Well 1) the time frame is wrong, 8-10 anything is impossible in a two-year period. It's just not feasible. 2) the requirement. It depends what you want.. 8-10 what? Great mids? Decent mids? Plodders? A mix? What's the content of the 8-10.

What we neeeed. Is about 3 elite midfielders more. (Assuming Cripps and SPS will be elite for the next 10 years+) now they can come from our stock, Charlie Curnow, Cuningham, Fisher, Polson, Williamson, Pickett, Sumner. Or from outside the club via draft or trade.

We need a spattering of B Graders as well.. whether its those above who dont become elite or other picks.

So yeah. I think we'll have one elite mid out of our current stock to step up. Meaning Cripps SPS +1,

I think to move forward to our finals and premiership side we therefore need. 2 more elite mids. One more KPF and a ruckman.

So lets focus on that over the next two years. We'll need to throw a few darts to do so. But the ones that miss become the fringe players that we need.

Well yeah we can't get 8-10 great mids.

With 3 early picks next year we should get 2 and a decent one. We will need supporting mids though that we can grab with later picks/trades. If Crows give up their 2nd pick for Gibbs as well, I'd be using that on a mid too.

Our KPP stocks are almost set and rucks I think we can get by with a project ruckman or two. But mids should be our priority and I can see us picking up 4-5 next year and another 3-4 the year after.

Was just catching up on all the category B rookie stuff going on around the league.

I remember reading some people on here that see a lot more of VFL team than I could in 2016 were very keen on Hisham Kerbatiech.
I found in an article from two months back on afl site that he was nominated by Essendon for category B potential sign up.
Not fully over all the rules but my understanding is that if these players are overlooked in national draft and rookie drafts those clubs can then sign them as category B rookies. However the other part I read is that if the nominating club does not sign them up after the rookie draft is over others clubs are free to sign that player up as long as with the consent of that player.
I read into that, there is nothing stopping us signing him on as category B rookie had we wanted to. We could have picked him in rookie draft if wanted too or after it should Essendon not sign him up. Just interesting to see he must not have been rated as highly by Dodoro or SOS as some people here rated him.

Bold the parts below in article where relevant.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie

The AFL has approved the full list of 33 players and circulated it to clubs last week. Under the newly formed rules, clubs will be able to list the players as category B rookies if the prospects are overlooked at the national and rookie drafts.
The club will need to lodge relevant paperwork immediately after the rookie draft on November 28 to secure the multicultural or indigenous talent.

If the relevant club does not choose to take the player as a category B rookie, or if they are an AFL nomination and are not selected in the rookie or national drafts, then any club can list the player as a category B pick.
However, the player has to give his consent before it is confirmed in that case.

2016 NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY NOMINATIONS LIST

Collingwood
Isiah Farrell-Nelson (Indigenous)

Essendon
Aaron Tatchell (Indigenous), 
Ben Ronke (Multicultural), 
Muhammad Saad (Multicultural), 
Ovie Magbegor (Multicultural)
, Hisham Kerbatieh (Multicultural), 
Ozgur Uysal (Multicultural)

Geelong
Temoa Brown (Multicultural)
, Cameron Gurrumulnga (Indigenous), Deshan Gindkindi (Indigenous)
, Kamal Bukulatjpi (Indigenous)

Hawthorn
Tristan Tweedie (Indigenous)

Melbourne
Daniel Allsop (Multicultural)

Port Adelaide
Emmanuel Irra (Multicultural), Ariek Lual (Multicultural)

Richmond
Kayle Kirby (Indigenous), Billy Cooper (Indigenous), Esava Ratugolea (Multicultural)
, Derek Smith (Indigenous), Jy Simpkin (Indigenous)

St Kilda
Mitchell McCarthy (Indigenous)

West Coast
Tarir Bayok (Multicultural)

Western Bulldogs
Dion Johnstone (Indigenous)

AFL nominations
Mading Atem (Multicultural),
 James El Moussalli (Multicultural), Kenny Ong (Multicultural),
 Jai Rout (Indigenous),
 Darren Allen (Indigenous),
 Jamaine Jones (Indigenous),