Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason why Shai is above Mcgrath are clear

Even though Mcgrath gets more disposals, ( + 6 ) more clearances ( +1.4 ) Shai has much more impact on games and scoring

Shai dominated in metres gained ( 353 v 240) and Goals ( 12 to 0) and score involvements ( 5.5 to 3.1) and inside 50s ( 4.5 to 2.5 )

Shai is also a bigger threat in the air and his kicking is statistically better ( 73.9% v 68.3%)

Shai clearly plays in a better team.

Stop cherry picking stats for this year. Every one, literally every (non Richmond) supporter is talking about careers.

If you were talking about this year, no way would Taranto be in the top 5, Ridley (Essendon B&F winner) would be amongst the top tier. etc. etc. etc.

For all the " ersatility and X factor as well as being a genuine inside/outside midfielder that kicks goals gives him the edge on McGrath in my view." Andrew is less than 2 kicks less than Shai in metres gained (259.1 > 236.5), and for a guy who has played def/mid compared to fwd/mid, Andrew has kicked 15 goals in comparison to Shai's 31).

It's ok, I wouldn't expect a reasonable and overall reasonable debate about this.

Look I didn’t skew the data, if you looked at Shai’s Numbers from about rnd 6/7 onwards when he went in the middle, his Centre clearances, clearances, CP stats go up by a lot.

Just looking at them as players, Mcgrath struggles to hit the scoreboard. Shai’s versatility and X factor as well as being a genuine inside/outside midfielder that kicks goals gives him the edge on McGrath in my view.

Everything else being equal, if I could add only one of Shai Bolton or Andrew McGrath to my team, I would pick Bolton .

He would be just as effective on the ball, he would get the ball less, yes, but he would pump the ball inside 50 more, get more score involvements, assists and goals as well. He is a much bigger threat both on the ground and in the air around goal.

Can you please stop referring to these stats because I went back (in this very thread is commented) and Andy is still in front of Shaii. Stop with the fallacy that he was better. He wasnt.

2020_22Under22_FinalTeam1-760x438.jpg

Clug, Ridley, McGrath & Taranto make the Class of 2020

Oh no, I wonder how blaisee will react to this?
I think he and Marcel Proust are both on suicide watch for there precious Shai Bolton.

to be fair, Shai probably had a better year than Taranto who people probably picked on popularity rather than actual numbers.

I think he and Marcel Proust are both on suicide watch for there precious Shai Bolton.

to be fair, Shai probably had a better year than Taranto who people probably picked on popularity rather than actual numbers.
Agreed. Shai had a good year and deserves to have been recognised but it’s clear that many were considered above him and he shouldn’t have been as high as they were ranking him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no, I wonder how blaisee will react to this?

I know you must be very excited but, before you completely overwhelm yourself on yourself, perhaps have a think about this .

This is a fan based concept voted by fans.

Completely and utterly irrelevant

Shai Bolton made the top 3 players voted as MVP for a team that finished 3rd, voted by his teammates
Shai Bolton is in the top 40 players in the whole league in 2020, when voted by AFL coaches.
This board is a great representation of fans views, they usually lag 2/3 years behind the views of the official ratings, coaches and players, especially if said players play for big clubs.

I know you must be very excited but, before you completely overwhelm yourself on yourself, perhaps have a think about this .

Shai Bolton made the top 3 players voted as MVP for a team that finished 3rd, voted by his teamates
Shai Bolton is in the top 40 players in the whole league in 2020, when voted by AFL coaches.
Not this broken record again...

Shai Bolton made the top 3 players voted as MVP for a team that finished 3rd, voted by his teamates
The gift that keeps on giving. Literally any stat that doesn't suit your narrative is 'irrelevant'.

Surprised you're still using the Coaches votes thing though given McGrath finished above him.

Shai Bolton made the top 3 players voted as MVP for a team that finished 3rd, voted by his teammates
This board is a great representation of fans views, they usually lag 2/3 years behind the views of the official ratings, coaches and players, especially if said players play for big clubs.

dont flatter yourself

Majority of people in this thread rate Shai, I for one feel he had a better year than some named in that team of the year but he's still a fair way off the top 5 let alone getting into the top 10 from this draft class.

Many who voted for this team rated other players above Shai.

It‘s quite clear that both you and your richmond luminaries were overrating him.

Is that clearer?

many fans like you yes.

No body that actually plays afl, coaches afl, agrees with you.

If that puts me in the minority in this company then I am perfectly fine with that

Suit yourself

many fans like you yes.

If that puts me in the minority in this company then I am perfectly fine with that

Suit yourself
Nobody? Really? So every AFL player and coach would rate Shai as high as you do?

many fans like you yes.

Suit yourself

Nearly every AFL coach would say that Jordan Ridley had a better year than Shai Bolton yet you continue to hang your hat on coaches votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back