Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty remarkable that Swans/Freo got a bigger crowd than Dons/Crows; would've thought that was 50/1 odds at start of day.
Saturday afternoon usually always draws better than Friday or Saturday night in Sydney... And Melbourne. The Sydney crowd was on paper extraordinary but I think if you look back in time, Sat arvo games in fine weather in Sydney usually deliver a great crowd relative to other time slots.

The Bombers crowd was slightly below what I expected. Essendon were going pretty hard on social media early in the week telling members to upgrade their GA membership to a reserved seat as it had only limited GA access for the match. Then again in the last 24 hours it informed members / fans reserved seating was very limited (which it actually was). Did this impact the GA walk up? Did the onset of some rain turn a few families away late in the afternoon? Was there a slightly lower club reserved seat holder turn up tonight being a Saturday night? I'd say the combined crowd impact of these things resulted in a couple of thousand not showing on the night as would've been expected.

Putting that aside you'd have to be disappointed with anything under 40,000. Fine weather it really should be 45,000. Then 'welcome' means it should be over 50,000 given what's at stake.

Seriously though, I reckon the Dees are over playing their name and importance relative to other clubs in the AFL. There's no London in the EPL and I don't think the Demons will necessarily build a larger following by promoting their name and it's relative importance to the competition in Melbourne. The actual initiative is great but the underlying reasoning flawed.

It just goes to show again how Victorian clubs popularity is completely inflated by derbies
Not totally. Partly yes. Membership figures and other indicators like social media suggest the big Victorian clubs are still extremely popular.

The Saturday afternoon fixture on a sunny day assisted a fantastic crowd. The big Victorian clubs could equally point to a selection of home games in sunny weather in a prime time slot where an equally impressive crowd turned up.

Doesn't take away from the great crowd at the SCG however.

Poor crowd at Etihad tonight IMO. I do know plenty of Bomber members who expected a mauling tonight and were not going.
They're soft! There were plenty of empty seats in the EFC reserve. Certainly when compared to recent Saturday / Sunday games. People often go out / have other social engagements on a Saturday night.

When Merritt (after Fantasia) was suspended the betting have Essendon only a small chance. Whether this impacts is anyone's guess.

My gut feel is that Saturday night usually is poor in a crowd sense and a bit of rain two hours before the match may have turned a few families away at the last minute.

I think if it were during the day today it would've drawn in the low 40's.

For some strange reason, we always draw below expectations on Saturday nights. I've noticed this trend.

We generally draw better on Friday nights and every other timeslot except Sunday twighlight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for the new stadium?

There's a bit of that, but it's mainly because Freo are playing like s**t and West Coast fans had expectations of a flag and are bitterly disappointed.

I wouldn't be too concerned about West Coast filling the new stadium. Freo might struggle, although it wouldn't surprise me if all available memebrships are sold before the start of the season.

I hate using it as an excuse, but the weather was really awful in Perth yesterday. Very windy and a lot of rain. Not a great night to be sitting out in the open on wooden benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back