Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two Sydney NRL teams could only pull 9500 to Allianz today The NRL are having big problems with declining crowds in Sydney I firmly believe that SOO is sucking the life out of the game in Sydney plus 6000 two nights running at ANZ is a very poor look on TV
And now this
Broadcasters caught using old vision to fake NRL crowds

Joey Riordan
7Sport / 2 hours a
go
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...rs-caught-using-old-video-to-fake-nrl-crowds/
Broadcasters have been caught using old vision of NRL crowds in order to to make attendances look bigger as the crowd crisis worsens in Sydney.

In short, while the tech probably exists, claiming something of a single facebook post isnt the best journalism out there.

Suns V Bombers 16,817. Another great crowd considering the Suns predicament.

They're way too reliant on opposition fans though. It's only the big Melbourne clubs that bring enough expats/travelling support to get them to a reasonable total at the moment.

However, I still think there's enough support on the GC to hopefully get some good crowds when/if they become good onfield.

Sydney are having problems attracting crowds to sport period. NRL crowds have collapsed, A-League crowds were generally poor last season, Waratahs crowds have dived, 54k tonight at the rugby which sounds good but that's a game that would have been comfortably sold out weeks in advance in the past.

In that environment, the Swans and Giants are going pretty well. I don't know what it is about the city but they just don't attend sport. It's got a different culture to the rest of Australia. Especially when you see they can get 80k to an Arsenal practice match, it's as if they want the show, not the contest.

They're way too reliant on opposition fans though. It's only the big Melbourne clubs that bring enough expats/travelling support to get them to a reasonable total at the moment.

However, I still think there's enough support on the GC to hopefully get some good crowds when/if they become good onfield.
Agree... The bigger clubs certainly prop their crowds up.

But helped by school holidays and almost certainly a bigger Suns crowd on the Collingwood night.. Tonight was an excellent crowd for the Suns.

Ah how could you possibly know there were more Suns fans at the Collingwood game as opposed to tonight? Secondly we were also heading downhill and not looking like making finals, you guys were relying on this game for a chance at finals, i.e. should have outdrawn our game easily if you had the fan base in QLD or travelling support.

Ah how could you possibly know there were more Suns fans at the Collingwood game as opposed to tonight? Secondly we were also heading downhill and not looking like making finals, you guys were relying on this game for a chance at finals, i.e. should have outdrawn our game easily if you had the fan base in QLD or travelling support.
Both were excellent crowds under the circumstances and that's all there is to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are having problems attracting crowds to sport period. NRL crowds have collapsed, A-League crowds were generally poor last season, Waratahs crowds have dived, 54k tonight at the rugby which sounds good but that's a game that would have been comfortably sold out weeks in advance in the past.

In that environment, the Swans and Giants are going pretty well. I don't know what it is about the city but they just don't attend sport. It's got a different culture to the rest of Australia. Especially when you see they can get 80k to an Arsenal practice match, it's as if they want the show, not the contest.

Agree completely.
Though we are all Australians, there is such a difference in culture between our 2 largest cities.
Born and raised NSW boy who will always call Melbourne home due to it being the absolute sporting capital of the world!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL currently tracking to end with the best H&A average since 2011. (34,893, now 33,716). Still likely short of the 2008 record 36,996 ave

Its a lot harder for the AFL to lift the average now with both the Suns and GWS dragging it down so how about we look at the average without those two teams as an exersize? I think you will find it is close to the 2008 record

AFL currently tracking to end with the best H&A average since 2011. (34,893, now 33,716). Still likely short of the 2008 record 36,996 ave

Its a lot harder for the AFL to lift the average now with both the Suns and GWS dragging it down so how about we look at the average without those two teams as an exersize? I think you will find it is close to the 2008 record

how about we dont, and take the averages as they are without excuses.

Why? I reckon it's a great measure of how the other 16 teams are travelling compared to 2008/11..

And those figures can be readily obtained by comparing the individuial figures from 2008. Take the expansion teams out and you arent comparing the league average though as far as Im concerned.

Saturday night metro fta ratings

Afl - 449k
Bledisloe - 371k
Nrl - 223k (no gem yet but...) last two premiers in top 8 clash

Interesting to see what the stv throws up but 42k is solid for the giants in sydney

Update: an average of another 22k watched the giants on fox in Sydney...as a reference point the storm sealing the minor premiership rated 14k in Melbourne

Last edited:
Thanks, Thats all I wanted to know as a comparison with 16 teams in 2008 and as I suspected its way up.
Its pretty simple really we are not comparing apples with apples.In the future lets hope we can get to that average with 18 teams in the comp.

Needs to be slightly tempered by acknowledging that support is spread across fewer matches once you've knocked out 39 games involving the expansion teams. Also, though, there are a lot more games now played in small stadiums in tas, nt, cairns and the rat now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back