Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the rlwc final will beat the ashes third session in the ratings

836 metro for the ashes compared to 842 for Syd, melb and Brits for the league. Pretty amazed at how the Melbourne ratings held up for the league with 168k. I know there are a lot of expats in Melbourne now but I was under the working assumption that people will watch top level league in Melbourne in the absence of football or cricket being on.

Of course, we don't know yet how many viewers the Melbourne city took yet

The overall figures including regionals should favour the Test.
I bet the bulk of the RLWC final ratings were in NSW and QLD also being at night is a big bonus for any sport.
Why do you think such a traditional game as Test Cricket is now being played at night? - anyone for a Night AFL GF?

I think the finals system hurts the A-league. Especially the current version. There should never be a situation where over half the teams make the finals. What is the point of playing the 27 games. It's not an achievement to make them. Hope the AFL pays attention and never expand over half the teams making finals.

WSW has been double hit as well. they had to move this match to ANZ Stadium because the Skilled playing surface was inadequate. Their home is Parramatta and they will be back to 10-15K once they move back there.

Just looked at the ultimate aleague website during the stop in play in the cricket - not good.

Worst round for crowds for 6 years, since Gold Coast united were still a thing and pulling 2k crowds and there was only one worse in Gold coasts last year.

The average for the season after 9 rounds has fallen to 11,581....getting pretty dire.

The shoulder chiplits are probably smelling a little less fear and a little more decay at the moment

Just looked at the ultimate aleague website during the stop in play in the cricket - not good.

Worst round for crowds for 6 years, since Gold Coast united were still a thing and pulling 2k crowds and there was only one worse in Gold coasts last year.

The average for the season after 9 rounds has fallen to 11,581....getting pretty dire.

And the killing season hastnt really started yet. That will happen when the T20, Boxing Day Test and Australian Tennis Open eat into PR,crowds and ratings

Wowee, Ashes ratings yesterday

2.144 million for the 3rd session. I know Sundays are better than Saturdays but certainly suggests that the RLWC GF dragged audience away on Saturday night

Meanwhile, the horror show continues for the A League.....Yesterdays ratings were 33K and 34K (for a Victory game)

And the killing season hastnt really started yet. That will happen when the T20, Boxing Day Test and Australian Tennis Open eat into PR,crowds and ratings

err...did you see the weather this week. Plus the Ashes are already on. The thing which just rated at 2mil for a single session. I didn't hear one thing about the Golf going on at the same time, for example. The A-league is as far away from the public eye as it is going to be.

It is a poor year in a downcycle phase. Anything which could go wrong for the A-League has happened. heck, I couldn't even tell you who is top atm(Sydney?). There are structural problems which need fixing(FFA itself for example) but the A-league pitiful crowds/ratings this year really isn't breaking news anymore.

"There are structural problems which need fixing(FFA itself for example) but the A-league pitiful crowds/ratings this year really isn't breaking news anymore."
Meanwhile, the horror show continues for the A League.....Yesterdays ratings were 33K and 34K (for a Victory game)

Maybe not news for the general sporting public but a massive headache for the FFA and A League and those TV ratings are just plain shocking for a sport that thinks its in the top echelon of Australian sports.

"There are structural problems which need fixing(FFA itself for example) but the A-league pitiful crowds/ratings this year really isn't breaking news anymore."

Maybe not news for the general sporting public but a massive headache for the FFA and A League and those TV ratings are just plain shocking for a sport that thinks its in the top echelon of Australian sports.

"The Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has declared that the game will become the biggest and most popular sport in Australia.

Speaking at the official launch of the A-League season, which kicks off when Sydney FC host Newcastle on Friday, Gallop said football had enjoyed unprecedented growth over the past two seasons.

He cited a 40% increase in crowds and 100% boost in television ratings. "I can genuinely say our best years are still ahead of us," the former National Rugby League CEO said at Tuesday's launch.

"Football will become the largest and most popular sport in this country. We are football, you are all part of it and I hope you're really excited about season nine.""

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/08/football-biggest-sport-in-australia-a-league

"The Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has declared that the game will become the biggest and most popular sport in Australia.

Speaking at the official launch of the A-League season, which kicks off when Sydney FC host Newcastle on Friday, Gallop said football had enjoyed unprecedented growth over the past two seasons.

He cited a 40% increase in crowds and 100% boost in television ratings. "I can genuinely say our best years are still ahead of us," the former National Rugby League CEO said at Tuesday's launch.

"Football will become the largest and most popular sport in this country. We are football, you are all part of it and I hope you're really excited about season nine.""

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/08/football-biggest-sport-in-australia-a-league

And meanwhile 4 years later???

Which just goes to show how poorly Rugby League is run in this country with all its billions and yet in the UK where they only have a shoe string budget they manage the game better.
How poor would Rugby League be in this country if the only had the shoe string budget the British Rugby League?
How successful would British Rugby League be if they had the same money as our Rugby League?

Which just goes to show how poorly Rugby League is run in this country with all its billions and yet in the UK where they only have a shoe string budget they manage the game better.
How poor would Rugby League be in this country if the only had the shoe string budget the British Rugby League?
How successful would British Rugby League be if they had the same money as our Rugby League?

I disagree. It shows how dominant the NRL now is in the game. Pretty much all of the teams except england in the last 8 were made up of players from the NRL or under it. Even 7 of englands squad - including many of its best players - play in the NRL.

Did you consider that a world cup in England might do better because they actually get to see the best players where as in Australia, they have just watched a whole season of them including 3 matches in by far the pinnacle of the sport the SOO? Did you ever consider that the NRL being so much richer than the RFL might be a sign of the former's relative competency and success?

As it is, I personally watched more League than I ever have over the past month or so. I would think the NRL would think it was a big success overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much all of the teams except england in the last 8 were made up of players from the NRL or under it. Even 7 of englands squad - including many of its best players - play in the NRL.

I had to laugh when a day after Tongas loss to England they had vision of the players and some fans at the airport on the news saying "And it was a hero's welcome for the Tongan team as they arrived back home to Sydney"

Gallop has always been an idiot. Was with the nrl, is now

Not sure why anyone takes him seriously

Maybe, but I think, new to the job, he was trying to ingratiate himself on to a core base (ie A League New Dawners) telling them what they want to hear....and many of them want to hear exactly that!

Maybe, but I think, new to the job, he was trying to ingratiate himself on to a core base (ie A League New Dawners) telling them what they want to hear....and many of them want to hear exactly that!

its the same s**t he did at the nrl - all hat and no cattle

"The Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has declared that the game will become the biggest and MOST POPULAR [!]sport in Australia.

The A League's popularity wont be aided by brawls/throwing flares etc -as occurred outside Hindmarsh between rival young males from Adelaide & Sydney last Round. To see the TV news video -& a person in a green top on the ground, being kicked in the head, at c.12 second mark, punches thrown etc, see:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/adelaide-soccer-brawl/vp-BBG1ArS

To see the full 1 min. 45 second video of the taunting/flares/bottles/brawling/kicking, see:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5138993/sydney-Adelaide-soccer-fan-brawl-outside-stadium.html
-then go to 9th paragraph of this article, & click on the blue highlighted words "ADELAIDE NOW ".

At 1 min 20 second mark, it shows the male in the light green top being kicked in the head, & clearly audible one can hear an observer saying ".. the guy in the green shirt just got kicked in the head...".
The Comments (over 100) at the end of this newspaper story are disturbing.

EDIT:
From (daily mail, above)) ADELAIDE NOW article, the Advertiser's reporter C. James actually saw the brawl - &claimed it was started by Sydney supporters, apparently premeditated.

Last edited:
The A League's popularity wont be aided by brawls/throwing flares etc -as occurred outside Hindmarsh between rival young males from Adelaide & Sydney last Round. To see the TV news video -& a person in a green top on the ground, being kicked in the head, at c.12 second mark, punches thrown etc, see:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/other/adelaide-soccer-brawl/vp-BBG1ArS

To see the full 1 min. 45 second video of the flares/bottles/ brawling, see:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5138993/sydney-Adelaide-soccer-fan-brawl-outside-stadium.html
Then go to 9th paragraph of this article, & click on ADELAIDE NOW

At 1 min 20 second mark, it shows the male in the green top being kicked, & clearly audible one can hear an observer saying ".. the guy in the green shirt just got kicked in the head...".
The Comments (over 100) at the end of this newspaper story are disturbing.
Much discussed incident on FFT. Of course, most of the posts were along the lines, `******* AFL`.

I see the WBBL is claiming it can became the biggest female sporting league in the world.

Quite an aspiration.

How do other female sporting leagues around the world compare popularity wise?

I think even the AFLW may be more popular than the WBBL.

The AFL is far worse, happens all the time in the AFL, 13 year old racists, banana throwers, why does everyone pick on soccer, etc, etc
of course one competition gets 7.3 million fans the other 1.7 million.

I see the WBBL is claiming it can became the biggest female sporting league in the world.

Quite an aspiration.

How do other female sporting leagues around the world compare popularity wise?

I think even the AFLW may be more popular than the WBBL.
Was it biggest, or best?
I think the AFL expressed an aspiration to be the most professional female sports league in the world at one point. Should be the aim, even if it's never achieved. However I do think it is achievable.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Not so well, Our Game , no not so well at all

View attachment 442554

The A-League is currently plagued by massive governance issues where there is a lack of any real progress.
You look on soccer forums and even the diehards and core support are unenthused with the current regime, lack of marketing, current league structure, stupid fixturing, playing each other three times (boring), lack of marquees, same recycled players and limited youth filtering through to 9 professional sides.
If the people who actually like the game & clubs can even get into this season then what hope do you have of actually growing the game or attracting casual supporters to the stands.

As Bozza said about three years ago "fans can do without the football, but football cannot do without the fans".
This season is basically a write off from collateral damage but the scary thing is the owners of the clubs could pack their bags and run due to a lack of transparency from the Lowy regime if things don't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back