Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS has clearly said they sometimes target needs with later picks. I just happen to think it's also part of the equation a bit earlier as well.

I don't know where this idea that you can only target needs with trades comes from. As far as I'm aware SOS has never said it.

At the conclusion of the trade period SOS was asked how he would approach the draft. He responded that we he always try’s to address the needs through trade and selects the best talent at the draft.

At 10? Whoever SOS likes more out of Brayshaw, D.Fogarty and Bonar that's still available.

Failing that, Clark starts to come into the mix in a group with Balta, L.Fogarty, Constable, O'Brien and Brander.

Given the top 10 will probably consist of these names (in no particular order):

1. LDU
  2. D.Fogarty
  3. Brayshaw
  4. Cerra
  5. Dow
  6. Rayner
  7. Stephenson
  8. Bonar
  9. Brander
  10. Coffield
I find it hard to believe we won't come away with two genuine mids, especially with the Saints likely chasing a tall to go with an running machine for the midfield, failing that, we get Fogarty.

IMO, the only way Clark makes the top 10 is if the Doggies want that kind of player at their pick and Coffield is gone.

I like that top 10, pretty close to mine, I'd be pretty happy with any of those kids with pick 10, although we don't really need Brander or Balta IMO, I rate Bonar's talent very highly, but I just can't help thinking what if he did another knee, would make for some nervous watching, the kid could be something pretty special, kids an absolutely beast, an awesome athlete and a booming kick, very much high risk high reward type.
Think SOS doesn't really follow the consensus rankings and wouldn't be surprised if we took someone like LOB Bonar or Clark with pick 10.

Reacon the Pies will either take Coffield, who some think could develope into a Pendlebury type mid, but are more likely to take a tall, one of Brander or Naughton.

Doggies midfield is pretty set, with a good balance of contested ball winners and outside type players, Coffield makes sense for the doggies, as a Murphy replacement, also have a feeling Higgins would appeal to them and could even see them taking Fogarty as a Stringer replacement.

The Saints will be waiting to see which one of the mids makes it through to pick 7 and go with one of Brayshaw Clark or Constable, then with pick 8 Coffield Bonar or one of the tall defenders.

At the conclusion of the trade period SOS was asked how he would approach the draft. He responded that we he always try’s to address the needs through trade and selects the best talent at the draft.
He certainly did and it's a theory that goes back further than SOS. It's just that we used to have a funny way of showing it. I think Cuningham, Fisher and Polson were needs based selections whereas the rest of SOS's picks have been best available. Personally, I condone the 'educated risk' (and sometimes, not so educated, admittedly) method of drafting.

Gut feel is that top three wil be :-
1. Dow
2. Cerra
3. Rayner

Got a feeling Freo will take Cerra at 2 , Lions Dow at pick1 and we'll take Rayner ar pick 3.

Exactly the way it should be.
1. Dow will go pick 1 , inside and outside midfielder with speed, great offensively.
2. Cerra to Freo a given , big bodied well balanced skillfull midfielder.
3. Rayner to us , best available by a mile, skillful , impactful, gritty, good size too.

I reeckon it may go this way:-
1 Dow
2 Cerra
3 Rayner
Might need to say it again...

Yes general speaking that's what happens, agreed. But if you take SOS at face value there's a chance Carlton could end up without any mids in this years draft, assuming the best player at each pick is a non-mid.

I don't think either of us expects that to happen.

He certainly did and it's a theory that goes back further than SOS. It's just that we used to have a funny way of showing it. I think Cuningham, Fisher and Polson were needs based selections whereas the rest of SOS's picks have been best available. Personally, I condone the 'educated risk' (and sometimes, not so educated, admittedly) method of drafting.

How were fisher, Cunningham and polson needs based?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

After initially writing him off, I've just taken another extended look at Cerra.

Classy user, good production, can play inside and out, athletically looks fairly quick and good overhead. If Rayner is gone we should go for this guy.

Edit: Also Knightmare and Bishop who I both like rate him at 3 above Dow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner and Fogarty would be some serious x-factor.

Reckon it might be a bit of overkill?

Personal preference would be for one or the other (or even Bonar), paired with a solid accumulator with good disposal (ie. Cerra, Dow, LDU, Clark, Coffield).

McKay, Curnow, Rayner, Fogarty - sounds exciting, but do they get in each others way a bit too much?

Chasing midfielders with at least some speed? You seem to be trying to trap me into making a value judgement over SOS's performance so you can bring me into line.

I just couldn’t see a particular niche that they filled. Cunningham and polson are quick. Fisher not that quick and pretty short. Question wasn’t about sos’s performance.

I just thought Sos had picked who he thought was best. I get the impression he values leg speed so l wonder if most of his medium to small sized players will have this, rather than it being needs based.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you're not big and not an absolute bull on the inside then you better be damn quick. You can be one or the other but preferably both. Cuningham and Polson were drafted as quick, smart decision makers. Fisher because he's someone who doesn't give up the ghost all day and has attributes both mental and physical that enable him to do that.

Each of them were earmarked for certain roles in the long term schema. At least Fisher and Cuningham will add tremendously to the mid rotation. If Polson comes on like SOS believes/believed then bonus for what else we've drafted alongside him.

I like to believe SOS drafts best available for what the total list makeup is. That's a both best available and needs based theory. Very rarely is it one way or the other entirely. You better be damn special for it to be slanted completely one way.

Rayner:_______________ 10/10
Davies-Uniacke:________ 6/10
Dow:_________________ 9/10
Cerra:________________ 7/10
Brayshaw:_____________ 6/10
Other:_________________1/10

Three weeks to go.

Keep your powder dry. Plenty of water to go under the bridge. Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.

It would defy logic for Rayner to end up at Carlton. From what I’ve seen I’m not sure that our first round picks will play the opening game next season (assuming Rayner goes at #1 or #2).

Back