List Mgmt. 2017 Draft Discussion (cont in Pt 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the go-to comparison for a powerful kid that plays forward changing through the midfield.

I guess it's reasonable indicator, but I reckon Rayner is more polished and less brutal.

I hate comparisons though.
seems to have a knack to play always be upright and have great balance and terrific turn of his hips.

negatives tho he's only 184ish so his forward game is unlikely to transfer to AFL as a 1 out mid beast imo

edit: your mate KM lists him at 187 :O

seems to have a knack to play always be upright and have great balance and terrific turn of his hips.

negatives tho he's only 184ish so his forward game is unlikely to transfer to AFL as a 1 out mid beast imo

edit: your mate KM lists him at 187 :O
Have heard reports that he's up to around 189cm now.

O'Brien does most things very well. Rayner looms as the next player in the Martin/Petracca build, changes games with a couple of crucial touches. Hunter Clarke great in an under midfielder. Davies-Uniacke was bog for the academy against Bullants (VFL team) with 22 touches 6 clearances and (I think) a goal, from less than 70% gametime to. He looks like the next Cripps.
One thing O'Brien does better than I bet anyone in this draft is kicking. Been watching him since a kid and he is a beautiful kick. Closest in AFL is Steven Hill, although I'm backing Lochie.

Last edited:
fogarty's slippin' :)

would we be a chance of taking Sam Hayes if we get martin or fyfe FA, and take a mid with our first pick?

Do you reckon he's as quick as Hill?
No not as quick but an elite runner. 6 min 2km, at 16 years old, victorian 400m record holder at 15. He'll lose a bit of that with the extra weight of playing footy, and is not as fit this year due to a couple of pre season injuries, but will be the best gut runner in the business when going. Still there is more to footy than running, but very solid skill base to work with as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on the 'best available talent principle'
Not sure he's better than any of the kids around that range including Fogarty. Also not sure hest available is the best option now we're getting closer to challenging and because we have such a glaring deficiency in midfielders combined with to many senior listed ruckmen.

Not sure he's better than any of the kids around that range including Fogarty. Also not sure hest available is the best option now we're getting closer to challenging and because we have such a glaring deficiency in midfielders combined with to many senior listed ruckmen.
yeah.. I'm working on a hypothetical here = We get two mids, one drafted one FA, and at our next pick the best available talent is Hayes, do we do it or go for another mid. I think i'd much prefer another mid, especially with marshall looking the goods, but at the same time, dominant ruckman are that much more important with the no third man up rule.

Hayes apparently had 17 disposals, a bunch of hitouts and 6 clearances in just a half, playing in the ruck a week or two ago. They reckon he's 204cm now and still growing and he is the type who could play forward and be a legit threat there as well. Is the only one of this draft crop who made the AA team at the champs as an "underager" last year.

yeah.. I'm working on a hypothetical here = We get two mids, one drafted one FA, and at our next pick the best available talent is Hayes, do we do it or go for another mid. I think i'd much prefer another mid, especially with marshall looking the goods, but at the same time, dominant ruckman are that much more important with the no third man up rule.
Still think a mid would be better. Besides the time it would take to develop Hayes would probably see us past our current window...

Hayes apparently had 17 disposals, a bunch of hitouts and 6 clearances in just a half, playing in the ruck a week or two ago. They reckon he's 204cm now and still growing and he is the type who could play forward and be a legit threat there as well. Is the only one of this draft crop who made the AA team at the champs as an "underager" last year.
jeesus

He kicked 6 to halftime for his school on the weekend.

From only one viewing admittedly, He looks a lot bigger (bulkier ) than last year. Pencil thin then though. Is he physical (or even partially) in the way he plays or is an athlete with no oomph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back