Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For arguments sake, say Gov wants to go home at the end of the year to Freo, what do people expect in return? Freo's second be enough? Would Neale be back on the table?

Hate to say it, but at this point FA targets are losing their appeal to me. Especially ones that cost you a draft or 2 to bring in from greedy Victorian clubs. I just want to keep bringing in more young talent via the draft and keep developing them. If Pykey's system has taught us anything, its the importance of an even contribution from all players. Genuine superstar's are great, but champion teams are better!
Let's win something before declaring our way is best!

Hate to say it, but at this point FA targets are losing their appeal to me. Especially ones that cost you a draft or 2 to bring in from greedy Victorian clubs. I just want to keep bringing in more young talent via the draft and keep developing them. If Pykey's system has taught us anything, its the importance of an even contribution from all players. Genuine superstar's are great, but champion teams are better!

Buddy says Hi, with his multiple premierhips

For arguments sake, say Gov wants to go home at the end of the year to Freo, what do people expect in return? Freo's second be enough? Would Neale be back on the table?
I wouldn't think we'd entertain a second round, we'd be wanting a first. If Freo end up right down the bottom (say top 5 pick) then there may be further pick swaps involved, but a mid-late first round would probably be about right, I reckon. Although I'm not sure what impact, if any, his injury may have on his trade value now.

Let's win something before declaring our way is best!
Mate I just love that we have so many draftee's and rookie listed players that we developed. Not saying its the only way to build a team, but right now i'm not at all fussed that we missed out on all those big FA's of yesteryear.

That was all I was getting at

Are you referring to the biggest FA contract in history who has helped his new side win exactly 0 premierships and essentially put that team in perpetual salary cap hell for the next 6 years?

I see the best formula as history shows for winning premiership is gaining a heap of low low draft picks. Bottom out and bounce back hard, Really think Freo is taking that attitude after having a crack at the flag failing then dropping hard to the bottom to reload. Hawks, Geelong (father Son) Brisbane all had a number of top 10 piccks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting this came up. Driving home and not really listening to the ads on Triple M and they had a promo where Paul Roos was talking and he said something along the lines of '' every team needs cobblers'' ie players who play a role without being superstars. I then thought of GWS and how people talk about them dominating because they have all these superstars. True they have had a high ratio of picks that should see their team bursting with near superstars.

You still need superstars , just not a whole team

But where are the cobblers? Where are the players who are prepared to sacrifice stats and numbers to play a role? I have been one of those against the tide who say GWS will dominate. Until they replace some players with cobblers they wont win a thing.

Last edited:
Gov might miss 10-12 weeks, which will probably take him to about round 13 or 14 to play at AFL level at best. Still allows him 10 or so games to show his worth, for if he chooses to go.

Interesting this came up. Driving home and not really listening to the ads on Triple M and they had a promo where Paul Roos was talking and he said something along the lines of '' every team needs cobblers'' ie players who play a role without being superstars. I then thought of GWS and how people talk about them dominating because they have all these superstars. True they have had a high ratio of picks that should see their team bursting with near superstars.

But where are the cobblers? Where are the players who are prepared to sacrifice stats and numbers to play a role? I have been one of those against the tide who say GWS will dominate. Until they replace some players with cobblers they wont win a thing.

Think its fair to say, Hawthorn wouldnt have the premierships they did without the superstars in Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge or Geelong with Bartel, Ablett, Selwood or Brisbane with Voss, Aker, Black or westcoast when they had Cousins, Judd, Kerr. Interseting how many of those superstars were midfielders in such dominant teams. Thats the only concern with our team we have Sloane then air

Think its fair to say, Hawthorn wouldnt have the premierships they did without the superstars in Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge or Geelong with Bartel, Ablett, Selwood or Brisbane with Voss, Aker, Black or westcoast when they had Cousins, Judd, Kerr. Interseting how many of those superstars were midfielders in such dominant teams. Thats the only concern with our team we have Sloane then air
I may need to edit my post to reflect that you still need superstars, but not a whole team

And the best spot for that strenght is in the Mid, wouldnt you agree
Not entirely. The game still requires strong players in other sections of the ground. Hawks had Buddy and Roughy and Gunston as forward targets. Geelong had Hawkins while having a very strong backline in Taylor and Enright etc. But you do need a good mix of midfielders. All superstar inside mids wouldn't work either

I see the best formula as history shows for winning premiership is gaining a heap of low low draft picks. Bottom out and bounce back hard, Really think Freo is taking that attitude after having a crack at the flag failing then dropping hard to the bottom to reload. Hawks, Geelong (father Son) Brisbane all had a number of top 10 piccks

Hawks had priority picks. So did Brisbane, from memory.

Melbourne bottomed out 10 years ago. Carlton did the same. It's mostly just led to more losing.

Hawks had priority picks. So did Brisbane, from memory.

Melbourne bottomed out 10 years ago. Carlton did the same. It's mostly just led to more losing.

Yes hawthorn and Brisbane picked the right players with their low picks Carlton and Brisbane didn't. The key their is too pick right

But it's very clear how those teams dominated isn't it

I was thinking about this today. Our 5 superstars are evenly spread.

Big forward - Walker
Small forward - Betts
Midfield - Sloane
Big defender - Talia
Small defender - Laird

Probably our 5 best players

Then you have quality support across the park too.

I dont think that bottoming out and bouncing back is that easy. Getting priority picks and father-son picks is another story. You have to be VFL royalty to get the helping hand you need. Hawks got Roughead (priority), Franklin and Lewis with picks 2, 5 and 7 of the 2004 draft. Luke Hodge (priority) pick 1 of the 2001 draft and probably a number of other gifts. Their premiership run was bought and paid for by the AFL. GWS will be next, but that is a "business" decision. The AFL will continue to rig the system to suit their agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back