Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddies missus would go to my mates cafe in the area. She told him it was over $50k. Club wouldn't budge which really hurt his feelings. Felt unwanted to say the least.

Yep, He was clearly genuinely hurt over that.
I remember the first Carlton v Crows game he had to play for Crows, after the siren when players of both sides shake hands and eventually go down the race, he was still with all his Carlton mates on field with all his Crow players 90% down the race and him up the other end of ground, seemingly not wanted to leave. Really felt for him that day as it was so obvious he only left because the Carlton staff whether Greg Swann's decision, Sticks, McKay or Rogers were going to pay him a pittance.

Plus Eddie leaving certainly affected Yarran for the worse. I remember Robinson, Eddie, Yarran and Garlett were all such close mates and they all , in various ways forced out of the door.

Eddies missus would go to my mates cafe in the area. She told him it was over $50k. Club wouldn't budge which really hurt his feelings. Felt unwanted to say the least.

If it was "only $50k" then that can be interpreted two ways.

Eddies view "I'm unwanted"

Club view "we brought you over here when no-one else would give you a go. You had minimal education and we we made you a well paid star - and you're gonna leave over $50k per year"???

Yep, He was clearly genuinely hurt over that.
I remember the first Carlton v Crows game he had to play for Crows, after the siren when players of both sides shake hands and eventually go down the race, he was still with all his Carlton mates on field with all his Crow players 90% down the race and him up the other end of ground, seemingly not wanted to leave. Really felt for him that day as it was so obvious he only left because the Carlton staff whether Greg Swann's decision, Sticks, McKay or Rogers were going to pay him a pittance.

Plus Eddie leaving certainly affected Yarran for the worse. I remember Robinson, Eddie, Yarran and Garlett were all such close mates and they all , in various ways forced out of the door.

"Pittance" - give me a break......

I challenge you on the two idea.
I suggest this is closer to the mark.

Lets say you offered $500K to go somewhere closer to family and other relatives.
The club you at offers you $250K.
You know it is way unders but you love the club so much with so many mates here you say to yourself if they adjust it back to $300K which is still well under market value by $200K but I am willing to stay.
But the people in charge of the contract offers will not budge. $250K is final offer, another club offer you even a longer length contract at $500K a year.
They never give you that $50K to get it to the $300K you willing to stay for. You cannot believe it but in your heart you do not want to leave.

Every friend and family you know that are aware you could not even read and write a few years back are going to tell you this football career can end so quickly, you got rest of your life to live. You got to take the $500K for your own financial security.

Meanwhile you see the club bring Dale Thomas to club for around a reported $700K a year, whose bloody injured too, in the same off season you offered only $250K
How the hell would you feel ?

I am not saying these are the exact figures but from what I remember at the time and other things heard in past year, I suspect it is not far off the reality of the money talked about.

Every time we improve our list we become a more competitive football club.

Of course we are trying for a lot better, that’s what picks 3,10,30 and 73 I think are for.

But at the end of the day I would be annoyed if we go in to next season with Graham and White over Hartung, Mullet or Castagna

IMO that's just shuffling of deckchairs and achieve's little if anything. All of those above have been tried with little success. Little chance they will improve

Eddies view "I'm unwanted"

Club view "we brought you over here when no-one else would give you a go. You had minimal education and we we made you a well paid star - and you're gonna leave over $50k per year"???

Really? That's an odd way to look at it. That's like Eddie thinking "mate, the club have no decent forwards, I'm carrying that section of the field".

Read the article in the age and you can work out when the "50k" issue occurs.

I challenge you on the two idea.
I suggest this is closer to the mark.

Lets say you offered $500K to go somewhere closer to family and other relatives.
The club you at offers you $250K.
You know it is way unders but you love the club so much with so many mates here you say to yourself if they adjust it back to $300K which is still well under market value by $200K but I am willing to stay.
But the people in charge of the contract offers will not budge. $250K is final offer, another club offer you even a longer length contract at $500K a year.
They never give you that $50K to get it to the $300K you willing to stay for. You cannot believe it but in your heart you do not want to leave.

Every friend and family you know that are aware you could not even read and write a few years back are going to tell you this football career can end so quickly, you got rest of your life to live. You got to take the $500K for your own financial security.

Meanwhile you see the club bring Dale Thomas to club for around a reported $700K a year, whose bloody injured too, in the same off season you offered only $250K

I am not saying these are the exact figures but from what I remember at the time and other things heard in past year, I suspect it is not far off the reality of the money talked about.

he wasnt offered 250k

HCJ, we still have to endure having to back over J.Kennedy not being at Carlton some 9 years later

We'll be hearing about Eddie for many years to come... :rolleyes::'(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he wasnt offered 250k

A touch pedantic. It doesn't matter what he was offered, I argued long and hard on here that we should have offered 15% lower than Adelaide and if Eddie wanted more then good riddance as I felt loyalty would count for something and that interview seems to indicate that I was right.

My argument was akin to farting against thunder here because everyone saw Thomas as a far better player who would single handedly propel us up the ladder. I remember saying he was a replacement only for Betts and I was wrong. He was nowhere near a replacement.

Nett result was that we got SFA for an AA player. Not our finest moment and I know you cannot rewrite history but it is frequently a tough marker.

So why spin a story with us offering 50% of what Adelaide do?
I simply said figures we cannot know exactly. Your question makes no sense to me in what I posted. I offered it as a likely alternative to the two other interpretations Funk offered up as he only believed there could be two.

Last edited:
Next years trading and draft period will be our most important of the rebuild. It'll be "the icing on the cake" so to speak. And it's a bumper draft and a bumper Free Agency list. Off the top of my head, some free agents who would be incredible assets to us moving forward:
  • Tom Lynch (GC)
  • Rory Sloane
  • Neville Jetta (we really need a small lockdown defender)
  • Cam Guthrie
  • Andrew Gaff
  • Luke Dahlhaus
  • Jeremy McGovern
Then there's the draft itself with Rankine, the King Twins, Ian Hill and Lukosius.

THEN there's the father son's coming through in BSOS, Manton and...someone else I'm forgetting.

If by some miracle SOS can snag two free agents (Tom Lynch and Sloane or Gaff please), and secure two of Rankine, Hill or Lukosius AND our F/S's, then the rebuild is essentially complete. How he's going to do it, I have no idea. I fear some favourite sons may be on the trade table next year (Murphy, Casboult, Jones - anyone with currency and plays in a position we have surplus of - Jones / Defense - or have value and are outside our age demographic - Murphy).

Very exciting times ahead, but still a lot of patience required as there will surely be some growing pains between now and 17.

If we are going to land a big fish or two in FA we need to win a lot more games and finish in the top 10. If Lynch leaves the Gold Coast it’s not going to be for a team that finishes a spot or two above them on the ladder. It’s be for a team that looks like they will play finals in 2019 to be that team we need to win. Port, Essendon and Melbourne picked up the big fish in the trade and free agency and finished 7th,8th and 9th. We need to kick goals and play a more exciting game.

I simple said figures we cannot know exactly. Your question makes no sense to me in what I posted. I offered it as a likely alternative to the two other interpretations Funk offered up as he only believed there could be two.

How is Adelaide offering $500k, Carlton offering $250k (less than the average wage), and Eddie leaving because we wouldn't come up to $300k a "likely scenario?

You're adding quite specific numbers to a situation nobody knows anything about, which is bound to cause confusion.

Here's my take:

- Eddie didn't take a pay cut to play at Adelaide.
- Therefore, Carlton offered less than Adelaide did.
- The only common number we've seen reported is Eddie wanted another $50k.
- Either it was close ($50k), Eddie wanted us to match Adelaide's offer, and we didn't...
- ...or it was miles off, and Eddie was prepared to stay at Carlton for less, but wanted us to tack another $50k a year on, and we didn't.

Speculating further about who offered how much has no real bearing on anything, other than to play the "good bloke" card by implying that Eddie was prepared to stay at Carlton for significantly less money - and there is nothing to suggest that is the case.

Blame can go wherever people want to put it - either Eddie left over $50k, or Carlton pushed him out over $50k. Arguments can be made for either side (list management vs. supporting family) til the end of days.

How is Adelaide offering $500k, Carlton offering $250k (less than the average wage), and Eddie leaving because we wouldn't come up to $300k a "likely scenario?
How is it not?
Just a ball park figure and not worth getting knickers in a knot over. If you have another take on what happened, that is fine. I just see it differently on what I think is likely to have happened given everything I heard back then.

Let’s talk about the future for a while rather than griping about the past......
Hypothetical:
What if our host of young talent increases their potential significantly over the off season.(hawks 08, scum ‘93)
We also have a great run with injuries (ala tiggers ‘17)
Can we leap into the top that quickly in ‘18?
I don’t believe it’s that far fetched.
Thoughts?

How is it not?
Just a ball park figure and not worth getting knickers in a knot over. If you have another take on what happened, that is fine. I just see it differently on what I think is likely to have happened given everything I heard back then.
Would you accept half the money to stay?

Leave the numbers out of it if you don't know them.....all it does it make your argument worthless, and spread baseless rumours.

You're well off the mark of what was reported. The reporting at the time was that we offered $400k for 3 years, Adelaide offered $500k for 4 years (another club offered $525k for 4 years which is where the total $900k variance in the media came from - because they added the extra year in the deal).

How is it not?
It's not even ball park. It's not even likely. It's that we wouldn't come up by $50k to match Crows offer per year. He would have taken our 3 years over the Crows 4 if we had matched the yearly amount.
Try this:
Lets say you offered $500K (correct - on a 4 year deal) to go somewhere closer to family and other relatives.
The club you at offers you $250K ($450K on a 3 year deal).

Meanwhile you see the club bring Dale Thomas to club for around a reported $700K ($625k - this gets chopped and changed so much to suit a narrative, but it was reported at the time to be $2.5m for 4 years with the option of a 5th) a year, whose bloody injured too, in the same off season you offered only $250K

A touch pedantic. It doesn't matter what he was offered,

Bh surely you jest. Its not being pedantic trying to draw a distinction between being offered 50% of the adelaide offer and being offered around 85%.
50% would have been an insulting offer tantamount to pushing Eddie out the door. The 85% offer is probably what the market said he was worth until Adelaide "paid overs"to get him to adelaide. As we now know with the benefit of hindsight and a few more years of Free agency under our belts, that a club wishing to poach a player from another club, has to pay overs and usually give the player a longer contract- which is exactly what the crows did.
Dont get me wrong, i hold no ill feeling toward Eddie, but lets not paint him as such a sweet innocent party in all this. I think Eddie genuinely regrets leaving the blues , and, I dont think it is any coincidence that, he is coming out trying to express his attachment to carlton , at a time where the whole adelaide leadership are making arse-hats out of themselves. Maybe seeing GAJ returning, has got his mind whirling trying to get back ......... to be continued

Hasn’t been delisted. Has a one year contract extension offer at Geelong. Ablett arriving at Geelong might make him think about signing on. All depends on whether he received any promises during the trade period from another club. If not he signs with Cats and hopes for the best.
I really don't like the fact that he hasn't accepted the 1 year deal after the cats stood by him during his 4 knee reconstructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back