2017 Membership: All for One

Remove this Banner Ad

Still feel like the club needs to do a lot of work in this department. I'm a platinum member and they've sorely tested my loyalty.
Had my membership stuffed up 5 times in a six year period and not even so much as an apology when I rang up to tell them.
I don't sign up for extras, but it looks pretty poor when a member of over 20 years gets a notepad as the joining package, but a first year member of other clubs gets caps and scarves. I know we're in debt, but putting a little bit more effort into this seems a logical step to increasing numbers and revenue, or at the the very least giving people the impression the club actually cares. It just seems like it's a bit of an afterthought. And when there is a special reward for loyalty like the platinum jumper or even caps a few years ago, we're asked to pay a heap more for the privilege.

Still feel like the club needs to do a lot of work in this department. I'm a platinum member and they've sorely tested my loyalty.
Had my membership stuffed up 5 times in a six year period and not even so much as an apology when I rang up to tell them.
I don't sign up for extras, but it looks pretty poor when a member of over 20 years gets a notepad as the joining package, but a first year member of other clubs gets caps and scarves. I know we're in debt, but putting a little bit more effort into this seems a logical step to increasing numbers and revenue, or at the the very least giving people the impression the club actually cares. It just seems like it's a bit of an afterthought. And when there is a special reward for loyalty like the platinum jumper or even caps a few years ago, we're asked to pay a heap more for the privilege.
Absolutely agree. That platinum jumper should of been free. I understand the clubs in debt. But surely anyone who has been loyal enough to buy a membership for 20 years deserves it. Hell. I would of bought the platinum jumper for you.

Agreed. I love my platinum jumper but I'm still bitter that I had to fork out for it. In fact I lost my s**t laughing recently at the sheer audacity of the club to do that, and then thank me back in October for being a platinum member by sending me... a paper bookmark.

Like, gee, thanks guys. I'll cherish that one for sure...

Agreed. I love my platinum jumper but I'm still bitter that I had to fork out for it. In fact I lost my s**t laughing recently at the sheer audacity of the club to do that, and then thank me back in October for being a platinum member by sending me... a paper bookmark.

Like, gee, thanks guys. I'll cherish that one for sure...

Laminate the bookmark and straight to the poolroom.

The club is broke. If you have been a member for so long, surely the health of the club is paramount? Instead of charity, perhaps contribution is needed? Spoken as a gold member.

Of course it's paramount, but believe it or not, people are allowed to be unimpressed with the way things are going. Charity is one thing, a show that the club actually cares about the money I give it is another. The point of my post, which you've overlooked with the typical 'defend the club at all costs mentality' of this board, is about the current state of the department and how a few minor things could make a bit of a difference.
I've had my membership stuffed up 5 of of 6 years to the point where 2 of those years it just wasn't sent out at all. Would you just blindly donate money to an organisation which does little to show it's appreciation and seems to be tracking backward regardless?
The length of my membership has nothing to do with the point. I'm not sure what the kids membership has in it, but when they open up the pack and get a notepad and their mates at other clubs are getting scraves, hats etc... it looks pathetic. A little bit of extra effort or further initiatives for people to sign up or remain signed on is all I'm suggesting. Potential members don't all love the club like members of years on end and a little bit of care and incentive outside of on field success would go a long way to getting more members... and more members would go a lot further than my "charity" in helping the health of the club.

I get a ticket inside the ground and a seat to plonk my arse on. Happy with that. Everything else is fluff.

Having said that, I wish they'd give us back our free vinegar.

It's fluff to you. To other people, particularly people who live outside of Queensland who don't get ultimate value from the ticket, it's a show that the club cares. It doesn't have to be gifts....it could be anything. How many platinum members are there? Surely it's not impossible to get a player or official to call and thank them on the 20 years of loyalty? Or send a signed card rather than a mass produced bookmark? I'm not saying this is why I sign up, I'm merely saying slight improvements in this area could go a long way.

Again, not all people think like a rusted on supporter and in a state where AFL isn't king, surely fixing something so simple would go a long way.

Of course it's paramount, but believe it or not, people are allowed to be unimpressed with the way things are going. Charity is one thing, a show that the club actually cares about the money I give it is another. The point of my post, which you've overlooked with the typical 'defend the club at all costs mentality' of this board, is about the current state of the department and how a few minor things could make a bit of a difference.
I've had my membership stuffed up 5 of of 6 years to the point where 2 of those years it just wasn't sent out at all. Would you just blindly donate money to an organisation which does little to show it's appreciation and seems to be tracking backward regardless?
The length of my membership has nothing to do with the point. I'm not sure what the kids membership has in it, but when they open up the pack and get a notepad and their mates at other clubs are getting scraves, hats etc... it looks pathetic. A little bit of extra effort or further initiatives for people to sign up or remain signed on is all I'm suggesting. Potential members don't all love the club like members of years on end and a little bit of care and incentive outside of on field success would go a long way to getting more members... and more members would go a lot further than my "charity" in helping the health of the club.
I get a ticket inside the ground and a seat to plonk my arse on. Happy with that. Everything else is fluff.

Can see where you are coming from, but......... do people with a bankcard from a bank get upset when they offer incentives to new customers? I am with Mr Ripper, but something tangible, of quality would be appreciated. A polo with member since 19... for instance.

Can see where you are coming from, but......... do people with a bankcard from a bank get upset when they offer incentives to new customers? I am with Mr Ripper, but something tangible, of quality would be appreciated. A polo with member since 19... for instance.

The bank card scenario is along the lines of what I'm saying. Do we offer new members more incentives than our loyal ones? As far as I'm aware they get a notepad like the rest of us. My poor isn't that I'm getting nothing and I'm aggrieved, it's that the club could do more to acknowledge the small membership base it has.
Using the same analogy, if I'm a member of a bank and see another bank offering better incentives, I'm probably switching banks.
A kid opening up our membership pack, then looking at what his Essendon mates got probably wouldn't think much differently.
And as I said, I don't care what they give us, the polo is a nice idea, but I would've been stoked with a call from a player or official to say thanks. I know these happen to a select group each year, but I've never received one, nor has my father and we've been members since day one.
I would've thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to have arranged something like that for platinum members in the first year of the concept.

<snip>
The length of my membership has nothing to do with the point. <snip>.
<snip> My poor isn't that I'm getting nothing and I'm aggrieved, <snip> .
You say that, but;

<snip> I'm a platinum member and they've sorely tested my loyalty.
<snip>
I don't sign up for extras, but it looks pretty poor when a member of over 20 years gets a notepad as the joining package, <Snip>
<snip> How many platinum members are there? Surely it's not impossible to get a player or official to call and thank them on the 20 years of loyalty? Or send a signed card rather than a mass produced bookmark?<snip>.
<snip> I know these happen to a select group each year, but I've never received one, nor has my father and we've been members since day one.
I would've thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to have arranged something like that for platinum members in the first year of the concept.
You make some reasonable points, but spoil your arguments with the whole "Platinum" thing.

Just what do others get?

Lions $185
  • General Admission entry to all 11 Lions home matches at the Gabba
  • Membership Kit including card, lanyard, card holder, pin, sticker, keyring, fixture magnet and $15 Lions Shop voucher
  • Exclusive complimentary access to Match Day Social Club
  • Access to purchase a ticket for Weeks 1-3 Finals subject to availability and Lions participation
  • Priority access to purchase tickets to all interstate matches
  • Exclusive 10% member discount at the Lions Shop
  • AGM voting rights (over 18 years of age)
YOUTH MEMBERS
  • Plus all Youth members will receive a bonus pair of Lions earphones!
YOUNG LION BENEFITS
Young Lion's will also receive:

• Junior Pack including a boot bag & sticker sheet
  • Exclusive pre-game clinic at the Gabba on a match day
  • Email invite to Queensland Junior Footy Clinic
Bulldogs $215
General admission seat for all 2017 home games at Etihad stadium*

2017 Membership pack - Includes members choice between a cap, scarf or beanie (whilst stock lasts)
Members choice does not apply to junior or add on memberships
10% member discount on select merchandise at the Bulldogs Shop

The Bulldog Magazine (one per household)

Priority access to purchase week 1-3 finals tickets (subject to participation)
Dahlhaus Clubhouse Kit Bag - Drawstring bag, Junior footy socks, Junior cap, lanyard, membership card and junior members sticker set
Saints $210
  • Core Pack + Choice item*
  • Inclusion into Crest Program - recognition of years of membership
  • Exclusive member updates via email
  • Invitations to exclusive member events
  • Club voting rights (members over the age of 18)
  • Discounts on official saints merchandise from Saints Locker
  • Free entry into VFL home games at Trevor Barker Oval
  • Opportunity to purchase weeks 1-3 of the Final Series if the Saints get there
CORE PACK
• Lanyard • Bumper Stickers • Loyalty Pin (all members) • PVC Bag
Choice item= Cap or Scarf
JUNIOR PACK (10-14)
• Core Pack + Member Choice • Backpack • Socks • Footy

I'm not going through the whole league, but here are a couple of clubs that one wouldn't describe as rich powerhouses.
The prices I've quoted are adult GA season memberships. All GA including juniors is cheaper at our club. In the same junior category, Saints pay 20% more and Bulldogs 33% more (I'd expect a ball too)
  1. There is a price difference. This is important, as to prop the game up in Qld, it must be as accessible and affordable as possible.
  2. They literally only get a hat or scarf, over and above what we get.
  3. We also get a $15 voucher towards merchandise of our choice.
Yes, the club could do some things better, but unless you want to pay more...
Not sure if you've looked at other clubs, but at a glance we don't seem to be too much different.
Oh, and a scarf, $25 less your $15 voucher = $10, so the adult GA membership would then be $195, still $15 better than the Saints and you don't have to sit through Saint Kilda games at Etihad. Good value, I reckon.:footy::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It
You say that, but;

You make some reasonable points, but spoil your arguments with the whole "Platinum" thing.

Just what do others get?

I'm not going through the whole league, but here are a couple of clubs that one wouldn't describe as rich powerhouses.
The prices I've quoted are adult GA season memberships. All GA including juniors is cheaper at our club. In the same junior category, Saints pay 20% more and Bulldogs 33% more (I'd expect a ball too)
  1. There is a price difference. This is important, as to prop the game up in Qld, it must be as accessible and affordable as possible.
  2. They literally only get a hat or scarf, over and above what we get.
  3. We also get a $15 voucher towards merchandise of our choice.
Yes, the club could do some things better, but unless you want to pay more...
Not sure if you've looked at other clubs, but at a glance we don't seem to be too much different.
Oh, and a scarf, $25 less your $15 voucher = $10, so the adult GA membership would then be $195, still $15 better than the Saints and you don't have to sit through Saint Kilda games at Etihad. Good value, I reckon.:footy::thumbsu:

It doesn't ruin the points at all. I'm using my experience with the club to base my points.
Again, the point of my contention was never the cost or 'value' of membership. It was that the club does little in the way to show appreciation to members and the packages they send out are pathetic to the point where theyre laughable. We have a small membership base and I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to give back to it a little bit. The voucher was fun before they closed the Lions shop in Victoria.
I don't recall saying anything about the cost and never argued it was a rip off. It was purely a PR based argument.

It

It doesn't ruin the points at all. I'm using my experience with the club to base my points.
Again, the point of my contention was never the cost or 'value' of membership. It was that the club does little in the way to show appreciation to members and the packages they send out are pathetic to the point where theyre laughable. We have a small membership base and I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to give back to it a little bit. The voucher was fun before they closed the Lions shop in Victoria.
I don't recall saying anything about the cost and never argued it was a rip off. It was purely a PR based argument.
As I said, you make some fair points, however
it looks pretty poor when a member of over 20 years gets a notepad as the joining package, but a first year member of other clubs gets caps and scarves...
And when there is a special reward for loyalty like the platinum jumper or even caps a few years ago, we're asked to pay a heap more for the privilege
Would you just blindly donate money to an organisation?...
when they open up the pack and get a notepad and their mates at other clubs are getting scraves, hats etc... it looks pathetic
It's fluff to you. To other people, particularly people who live outside of Queensland who don't get ultimate value from the ticket, it's a show that the club cares. It doesn't have to be gifts....it could be anything. How many platinum members are there? Surely it's not impossible to get a player or official to call and thank them on the 20 years of loyalty? Or send a signed card rather than a mass produced bookmark? I'm not saying this is why I sign up, I'm merely saying slight improvements in this area could go a long way.

Again, not all people think like a rusted on supporter and in a state where AFL isn't king, surely fixing something so simple would go a long way.
These all cost money, and for the record, you did question "value".
You want more than a notebook, but it's not about value or cost? Okay.

The Platinum jumper was available to the first 2000 registered members. That's 2000 guernseys you seem to expect to be given as a reward? If they cost the club $50, that's $100k.

As for phoning members, they do this. but there are around 23000 members. If each player donates an hour a day for 2 weeks, making 10 calls each time (100 calls), that's less than 4000 members called. Chuck in 20 coaches and staff to do the same, and you've called 6000 members.
Double the effort and still, half the members miss out.

Like I said, they could make some improvements, but have you considered what you're asking?
Not about money, but expect all the junior members to get a free ball or adults to get a free scarf, yet it looks like ours is one of the cheapest memberships to buy.
I think it's better to keep the price down, than give away scarves to everyone.
As for the $15 voucher being disappointing now the Victorian Lions shop is closed, it can be redeemed online, and I'm sure there are still opportunities to buy merch at Victorian games.

As I said, you make some fair points, however

These all cost money, and for the record, you did question "value".
You want more than a notebook, but it's not about value or cost? Okay.

The Platinum jumper was available to the first 2000 registered members. That's 2000 guernseys you seem to expect to be given as a reward? If they cost the club $50, that's $100k.

As for phoning members, they do this. but there are around 23000 members. If each player donates an hour a day for 2 weeks, making 10 calls each time (100 calls), that's less than 4000 members called. Chuck in 20 coaches and staff to do the same, and you've called 6000 members.
Double the effort and still, half the members miss out.

Like I said, they could make some improvements, but have you considered what you're asking?
Not about money, but expect all the junior members to get a free ball or adults to get a free scarf, yet it looks like ours is one of the cheapest memberships to buy.
I think it's better to keep the price down, than give away scarves to everyone.
As for the $15 voucher being disappointing now the Victorian Lions shop is closed, it can be redeemed online, and I'm sure there are still opportunities to buy merch at Victorian games.

For the record, I didn't question "value." You produced a bunch of numbers about the value of the membership and what comes with it. I never questioned that at all and if that's what you're arguing against, then you're missing my point completely.

And again with the gurnsey, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that should have been free. I said that a token of support to say thank you for 20 years of membership that you didn't have to pay $100 would be nice. It seemed like more of a grab for money than it did a thank you. 2000 members getting a phone call to say thanks isn't unreasonable, is free, and shows care.

I have considered what I'm asking. I'm asking for more engagement and a show of care - I'm not saying everyone should get scarves, again you're missing my point.
Half the members miss out on a call going by what you said. Ok, so they get called the following year in a 2-3 year cycle. It's not that hard to engage with people and nobody would expect a call every year.

Re: the shop online, sure I can buy online and i have. I also enjoyed paying postage on the frame I purchased, really made the $15 off worth it.

Last edited:
For the record, I didn't question "value." You produced a bunch of numbers about the value of the membership and what comes with it. I never questioned that at all and if that's what you're arguing against, then you're missing my point completely.

And again with the gurnsey, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said that should have been free. I said that a token of support to say thank you for 20 years of membership that you didn't have to pay $100 would be nice. It seemed like more of a grab for money than it did a thank you. 2000 members getting a phone call to say thanks isn't unreasonable, is free, and shows care.

I have considered what I'm asking. I'm asking for more engagement and a show of care - I'm not saying everyone should get scarves, again you're missing my point.
Half the members miss out on a call going by what you said. Ok, so they get called the following year in a 2-3 year cycle. It's not that hard to engage with people and nobody would expect a call every year.

Re: the shop online, sure I can buy online and i have. I also enjoyed paying postage on the frame I purchased, really made the $15 off worth it.
Okay. I've conceded that you had some fair points. More engagement and better administration would be welcome, and not too difficult.
Really, you're still denying complaints about value? Crappy notepads and bookmarks not good enough, and the absence of merchandise with your membership has been mentioned several times in your posts, so I think that constitutes a query on value.
Even significant improvement to the "free" things like admin & engagement probably require expansion of a small workforce. That's $$$ we don't have.
Whether you want more goodies, or just more recognition, they both cost. I'm happy that my membership is affordable and one of the cheapest. ( I had a look at a few more and Essendon was the only one I found cheaper). And get this, North pay $215 for GA & a cap. They have 8 home games in Vic & 3 in Tassie. GWS pay $208 for a cap, and only 8 games at home. Swans get a cap by paying $230. The Suns also get a cap, but only 10 games at Metricon. They can go to 2 more games if they want to travel to Brisbane and China, but pay $200 for it.
I'm not sure what the kids membership has in it, but when they open up the pack and get a notepad and their mates at other clubs are getting scraves, hats etc... it looks pathetic.
So while those poor kids are looking at their mates with all their extras, remember, they paid for it.

Maybe off topic but I would like to see single game ticket prices reduced. We are about on par with the Broncos for prices tho they frequently do 2 for 1 deals (look on the back of any shop a docket during the season) when we should be a decent amount cheaper IMO.

For what it is worth tate13 I could not agree more. I too am a platinum member and was a Fitzroy member for over 20 years prior to this.
Others can feel free to have their opinions on this, as are you and as am I.
And my opinion is that I feel completely ripped off as a member.
I only get to see 5 or 6 games live of my team a year. As such I do not think it is a stretch to want a little more bang for my buck.
Maybe ours is cheaper than other Victorian based teams, maybe some people do only want a seat, but for me personally, I do want more than I currently get for my payment.
Maybe it is a material thing to want, but I would love to get a small item included in my membership fee such as a scarf or cap each year. It is also a big lure for new members, especially younger ones.
I found the 20 year present of a paper bookmark insulting.
I do not love my club any more or any less than anyone else who may not want a scarf or cap. We just have different wants.

Okay. I've conceded that you had some fair points. More engagement and better administration would be welcome, and not too difficult.
Really, you're still denying complaints about value? Crappy notepads and bookmarks not good enough, and the absence of merchandise with your membership has been mentioned several times in your posts, so I think that constitutes a query on value.
Even significant improvement to the "free" things like admin & engagement probably require expansion of a small workforce. That's $$$ we don't have.
Whether you want more goodies, or just more recognition, they both cost. I'm happy that my membership is affordable and one of the cheapest. ( I had a look at a few more and Essendon was the only one I found cheaper). And get this, North pay $215 for GA & a cap. They have 8 home games in Vic & 3 in Tassie. GWS pay $208 for a cap, and only 8 games at home. Swans get a cap by paying $230. The Suns also get a cap, but only 10 games at Metricon. They can go to 2 more games if they want to travel to Brisbane and China, but pay $200 for it.

So while those poor kids are looking at their mates with all their extras, remember, they paid for it.

Again, it's not about value - I'm saying those things aren't good enough from an engagement/PR point of view.

And yes, these things require expenses, but by that logic we should just leave it the way it is. Obviously there are reasons for our low membership base like on field performance and being a team in a non-football state that are beyond the departments control. But the club really had the chance to establish a massive second home in Victoria and engage with some of the Fitzroy supporters. It didn't and now many feel disenchanted. If members really are fundamental to a clubs survival, then putting some money, even money we might not necessarily have, into this area should be an absolute no brainer.

Those numbers are nice, but as a Victorian member we get 6 games a year if we're lucky, so it's not comparative. Also, North, GWS and Gold Coast are hardly clubs I'd want us modelling ourselves on.

As for the kids paying for it - they also get to see their team 18 times a year, not 6 in a Victorian case. A bit of love goes a long way.

I'm personally in the Mr Ripper "Give me my reserved seat for 11 games and I'm happy" camp but I'm also in the camp that thinks anyone who has been a member of the club for 20 straight years has earned the right to critique the membership packages and what they get for their hard earned dollars.

It's important for the club to expand and reach out to new potential members but I'm pretty sure the first priority of any business is to keep your existing customers happy first and a big part of that is listening to what they're telling you and not taking their loyalty as an ongoing feit accompli.

Whether the club has the financial capacity to meet those demands is ultimately irrelevant, what your customers think and feel is crucial information in any circumstance.

For what it is worth tate13 I could not agree more. I too am a platinum member and was a Fitzroy member for over 20 years prior to this.
Others can feel free to have their opinions on this, as are you and as am I.
And my opinion is that I feel completely ripped off as a member.
I only get to see 5 or 6 games live of my team a year. As such I do not think it is a stretch to want a little more bang for my buck.
Maybe ours is cheaper than other Victorian based teams, maybe some people do only want a seat, but for me personally, I do want more than I currently get for my payment.
Maybe it is a material thing to want, but I would love to get a small item included in my membership fee such as a scarf or cap each year. It is also a big lure for new members, especially younger ones.
I found the 20 year present of a paper bookmark insulting.
I do not love my club any more or any less than anyone else who may not want a scarf or cap. We just have different wants.
I note now that you and tate13 are in Melbourne, and I presume are purchasing Victorian memberships.
In this case, I agree you are not getting good value.
Rather than wanting more though, perhaps the club should look at a 6 game membership for those unable to travel to Gabba games.
I still think it is more important to get the price down than offer more goodies. The extras you can make optional, as they already do, with special pricing if purchased with a membership.

Again, it's not about value - I'm saying those things aren't good enough from an engagement/PR point of view.

And yes, these things require expenses, but by that logic we should just leave it the way it is. Obviously there are reasons for our low membership base like on field performance and being a team in a non-football state that are beyond the departments control. But the club really had the chance to establish a massive second home in Victoria and engage with some of the Fitzroy supporters. It didn't and now many feel disenchanted. If members really are fundamental to a clubs survival, then putting some money, even money we might not necessarily have, into this area should be an absolute no brainer.

Those numbers are nice, but as a Victorian member we get 6 games a year if we're lucky, so it's not comparative. Also, North, GWS and Gold Coast are hardly clubs I'd want us modelling ourselves on.

As for the kids paying for it - they also get to see their team 18 times a year, not 6 in a Victorian case. A bit of love goes a long way.
Fair enough. As above, I only noticed you're from Melbourne. Nowhere did you mention Victorian membership, which is a different kettle of fish. More certainly needs to be done there.
I stand by my comments for membership in a general sense though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back