NFL 2017 NFL Hall of Fame Nominees

Remove this Banner Ad

Numbers and results led to the above opinion but, you're right, there are external factors that need to be considered. Dungy had factors beyond his coaching that made him an inductee and, like you say, so do a number of other coaches in the list.

That's where the Hall of Fame voting process is hard to work out at times, in that it relies on opinion and/or politics in addition to the results.

Having many names across many eras makes it hard to compare too I admit, but comparing modern coaches Holmgren and Cowher should get in if Dungy gets in.

Also, you've got way too many people that "should be in" fuey imo but then I'm of the opinion that the NFL should be more exclusive than it already is and that "low bar" enshrinements (i.e Lynn Swan, Doak Walker, Paul Hornung, Bob Griese etc) should not be a good enough reason to justify new inductees

Probably overdid it on the coaches, but I don't think I did on the players.

Bruce - Another underrated, but did the job every week. So consistent throughout a career
Ellard - Criminally underrated... check out his YPC at the ripe old age of 35. 99% of wideouts could only dream of being that good at the same age.
Sharpe - The only thing that could stop him was a neck injury. Paved the way for todays big power receivers.
Jacoby/Lachey- Think about the Redskins ground game of the time, then think of the defenses they played against. Eagles/Giants twice a year also!
Taylor - 7 of the top 10 in career sacks are in the HOF. Two are still playing. Guess who the other one is?

Finalists announced.

1. Brian Dawkins, safety (Philadelphia Eagles, 1996-2008; Denver Broncos, 2009-2011)

2. Jason Taylor, defensive end (Miami Dolphins, 1997-2007, '09, 2011; Washington Redskins, 2008; New York Jets, 2010)

3. LaDainian Tomlinson, running back (San Diego Chargers, 2001-09; New York Jets, 2010-11)

4. Morten Andersen, kicker (New Orleans Saints, 1982-1994; Atlanta Falcons, 1995-2000; 2006-07; New York Giants, 2001; Kansas City Chiefs, 2002-03; Minnesota Vikings, 2004)

5. Don Coryell, coach (St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego Chargers, 1978-1986)

6. Kurt Warner, quarterback (St. Louis Rams, 1998-2003; New York Giants, 2004; Arizona Cardinals, 2005-09)

7. Terrell Davis, running back (Denver Broncos, 1995-2001)

8. Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Los Angeles Rams, 1994; St. Louis Rams, 1995-2007; San Francisco 49ers, 2008-09)

9. Terrell Owens, wide receiver (San Francisco 49ers, 1996-2003; Philadelphia Eagles, 2004-05; Dallas Cowboys, 2006-08; Buffalo Bills, 2009; Cincinnati Bengals, 2010)

10. Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2001; Houston Texans, 2002)

11. Alan Faneca, guard (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2007; New York Jets, 2008-09; Arizona Cardinals, 2010)

12. Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington Redskins, 1981-1993)

13. Ty Law, cornerback (New England Patriots, 1995-2004; New York Jets, 2005, '08; Kansas City Chiefs, 2006-07; Denver Broncos, 2009)

14. John Lynch, safety (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1993-2003; Denver Broncos, 2004-07)

15. Kevin Mawae, center (Seattle Seahawks, 1994-97; New York Jets, 1998-2005; Tennessee Titans, 2006-09)

Is this the worst HOF class ever? That Morten Andersen, Terrell Davis and Kurt Warner got in over some more worthy finalists is ridiculous

Got to agree, fairly underwhelming.

LT and JT without a doubt. Coryell so influential...has to be. Then it gets fuzzy.

Warner..did he do it for long enough? Yeah...maybe. I don't think any of the other QB nominees deserve to. TBH i think it should be harder to get in. You had to be one of the top at your position in the League for a number of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the worst HOF class ever? That Morten Andersen, Terrell Davis and Kurt Warner got in over some more worthy finalists is ridiculous
4x MVP
2x SB MVP
Rushing touchdown record
2000yd rusher
All time leading points scorer

Great class

This group seems like a popularity vote above anything else. The omissions stand out more than those that actually got in.

As expected, the big lugs making the skill position players jobs easier get ignored. 4 make the final 15 and not a one gets a look-in. Jacoby and Boselli probably had a bigger impact at their position than Jason Taylor did at his. Unfortunately there career output isn't quantifiable, there's no stats for how effective a blocker they were and linemen often miss out in comparison to other positions that have a stat measurable.

I loved seeing a hot Kurt Warner in action, but as a Hall of Famer his selection is iffy. He caught lightning in a bottle twice and had more poor seasons than he had good ones. He was often being looked over for a better option (Bulger, Manning, Leinart) as he could hit rock bottom just as easily as looking elite.

You felt TD was going to get in sooner than later. The push to get him in was growing louder each year even if he gets in on effectively 4 seasons of work, bring on Bo Jacksons yellow jacket :p

Owens not being named is ridiculous. Owens was a much better WR than Warner was a QB or TD was at RB. Yes he was a nutcase, but you can't fault him as a receiver. He made many clutch catches, almost got the Eagles over the line in SB 39 and has posted fantastic career numbers. If Marvin Harrison gets in there's no reason at all why TO doesn't if you solely look at his body of work.

A kicker was going to get in sooner than later I suspected and why not go with the all time points leader.

Agree with the disappointment at Coryell not making it, even more so when Jerry Jones made it.

Got to agree, fairly underwhelming.

LT and JT without a doubt. Coryell so influential...has to be. Then it gets fuzzy.

Warner..did he do it for long enough? Yeah...maybe. I don't think any of the other QB nominees deserve to. TBH i think it should be harder to get in. You had to be one of the top at your position in the League for a number of years.
Warner is one of the best feel good stories there is of coming from nowhere to winning MVP and being crown Super Bowl champ to a backup with the giants to nearly winning with the cardinals

This group seems like a popularity vote above anything else. The omissions stand out more than those that actually got in.

As expected, the big lugs making the skill position players jobs easier get ignored. 4 make the final 15 and not a one gets a look-in. Jacoby and Boselli probably had a bigger impact at their position than Jason Taylor did at his. Unfortunately there career output isn't quantifiable, there's no stats for how effective a blocker they were and linemen often miss out in comparison to other positions that have a stat measurable.

I loved seeing a hot Kurt Warner in action, but as a Hall of Famer his selection is iffy. He caught lightning in a bottle twice and had more poor seasons than he had good ones. He was often being looked over for a better option (Bulger, Manning, Leinart) as he could hit rock bottom just as easily as looking elite.

You felt TD was going to get in sooner than later. The push to get him in was growing louder each year even if he gets in on effectively 4 seasons of work, bring on Bo Jacksons yellow jacket :p

Owens not being named is ridiculous. Owens was a much better WR than Warner was a QB or TD was at RB. Yes he was a nutcase, but you can't fault him as a receiver. He made many clutch catches, almost got the Eagles over the line in SB 39 and has posted fantastic career numbers. If Marvin Harrison gets in there's no reason at all why TO doesn't if you solely look at his body of work.

A kicker was going to get in sooner than later I suspected and why not go with the all time points leader.

Agree with the disappointment at Coryell not making it, even more so when Jerry Jones made it.
Comparing Bo Jackson to TD is revolting

TO not named in the hall of fame is a joke he is top 3 all time WR

TO not named in the hall of fame is a joke he is top 3 all time WR

And a top 5 player you would NOT want in the locker room. his personalty hurt him.

The same might hurt Randy Moss next year. but Moss was not as toxic and is now in the media cleaning up his image.

And a top 5 player you would NOT want in the locker room. his personalty hurt him.

The same might hurt Randy Moss next year. but Moss was not as toxic and is now in the media cleaning up his image.
Yeah that's what sucks as talent wise he should be in the hall but wonder how long before he gets in though. Moss is a first ballot he is in a class with sanders upon the top

Remove this Banner Ad

Back