Review 2017 player reviews/2018 expectations Baker-Bugg

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rather than having a separate group of threads for player reviews I thought I'd merge reviews and 2018 expectations into one group. Obviously new draftees to the club won't have any information for 2017 so just outline what you expect from them in 2018. Feel free to steal the format below.

What did this player do well in 2017?

What did they do poorly?

Rate their season 1-10

Brief overview of 2018 expectations

The players for this thread are Oskar Baker, Harley Balic, Angus Brayshaw and Tomas Bugg.

Oskar Baker: Would like him to contend for the 22 by years end.

Harley Balic: see how he goes now he is in Melbourne.

Tomas Bugg: don't flog blokes.

Angus Brayshaw: showed his solidity on return, needs to keep it up.

Brief overview of 2018 expectations:

Oskar Baker: Should get exposure in the JLT series, expect him to play some senior footy next year although I don't think he will cement himself in the best 22. I reckon it will be a valuable learning year for him training in an AFL environment but playing predominantly in the VFL.

Harley Balic: Could be in contention for a spot in round 1 so impressing in training and in the JLT will be important for him. Has got a 1 year contract so he needs to make the most of next season and show signs he can become a long term player for us. Big year for Balic.

Angus Brayshaw: Hopefully no major interruptions to his 2018 season. Expect him to play most games and cement himself in the best 22. Interesting to see where he plays most of his footy. Whether it's at HB, on the wing, on the inside or a mixture of that, I just want to see him play most of the year.

Tom Bugg: Needs to redeem himself after what happened against Sydney this year. Impressing in the JLT and playing in round 1 would be fantastic for him. He needs to have a good start to the year I feel. A good role player for us and if he's not in the lineup he will be right on the fringe playing some good consistent footy in the VFL.

Baker and Balic no pressure at all which is how draftees thrive. No expectations of games just train hard and learn everyday.

Angus still worries me that the head knocks have taken their toll but he's a natural footballer. Would love to see him get through 16+ games and get back his dare through the middle. I'd also like to see him use his marking to more of an advantage this season.

Bugg- if Jacob ******* Townsend can be a premiership player so could Bugg. Just gotta learn to hit the goals not callum mills as often

It's good that the club is now in a position that there's no rush in debuting our new draftees. I really hope Baker and Balic really be knocking the door down as it will put a lot of pressure on our current best 22. I think Brayshaw will be safe in the 22 (unless his injury woes continue which could be more than being dropped) Bugg's spot in the 22 is a lot more vulnerable, I like him but he needs to find more consistency (amongst other players).

Balic isn't a draftee but he'd want to break into the best 22 because on talent he should be that good. He needs to show a good attitude and play some good footy at AFL and VFL level. There aren't any automatic delistings on our list anymore; even JKH has racked up 25 touches at AFL level before so Balic, Wagner, Mitch King etc. all of these guys are running out of time to show something IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back