Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Miers had 2x top 10 B&F finishes in prelim and grand final teams in 2019 and 2020 while Moore wasn't getting games.

Since then Miers had an injury hit 2021, was a key part of a premiership in 2022, broke the league assists record and finished 3rd in the B&F in 2023 and has started 2024 on fire (27 coaches votes so far).

I struggle to see how Moore has been better than Miers since 2021 let alone making up for the 2 good seasons at the start of his career while Moore couldn't get a game.

View attachment 1989452

Also, over the two season period of 2022 and 2023 Moorey averaged 20.53 disposals and 0.95 goals a game.

As previously stated, I made an error when first attempting to define the period. He achieved it in one full season and subsequently missed it the following season by 3 goals.
View attachment 1989452

Also, over the two season period of 2022 and 2023 Moorey averaged 20.53 disposals and 0.95 goals a game.

As previously stated, I made an error when first attempting to define the period. He achieved it in one full season and subsequently missed it the following season by 3 goals.
OK, so it's confined to one year in 2022.

Petracca did it in 2021, 2023 and is doing it thus far in 2024 (as well as plenty of others). And he was one goal off doing it in 2022.

It's hardly ground-breaking.

OK, so it's confined to one year in 2022.

Petracca did it in 2021, 2023 and is doing it thus far in 2024 (as well as plenty of others). And he was one goal off doing it in 2022.

It's hardly ground-breaking.

So, two stars of the game (Petracca and Bont) do it regularly, meaning it isn't ground breaking?

Or Dylan Moore is underrated because he achieved something usually only the stars of the competition manage to do?

So, two stars of the game (Petracca and Bont) do it regularly, meaning it isn't ground breaking?

Or Dylan Moore is underrated because he achieved something usually only the stars of the competition manage to do?
Heeney, Bontempelli, Kelly, Petracca, Warner are doing it this year and Miers almost

It was a good effort in 2022.

Miers had 2x top 10 B&F finishes in prelim and grand final teams in 2019 and 2020 while Moore wasn't getting games.

Since then Miers had an injury hit 2021, was a key part of a premiership in 2022, broke the league assists record and finished 3rd in the B&F in 2023 and has started 2024 on fire (27 coaches votes so far).

I struggle to see how Moore has been better than Miers since 2021 let alone making up for the 2 good seasons at the start of his career while Moore couldn't get a game.
How I see it too.. Miers has been consistently excellent forever.

That's good to know. Moorey's in fantastic company. He's not far off doing it again this year as well.
Yes, one very good year. Needs to replicate.

I don't think he's ''close to doing it again''.

He's averaging 17.4 disposals this year and would need to average 21.6 as a bare minimum to do it again.

He's got to that level in 2 of his 9 games this year.

It's not happening.

Yes, one very good year. Needs to replicate.

I don't think he's ''close to doing it again''.

He's averaging 17.4 disposals this year and would need to average 21.6 as a bare minimum to do it again.

He's got to that level in 2 of his 9 games this year.

It's not happening.

Except that he missed it least season by literally a few goals.

And is 2 and a half disposals a game off getting there again.

Been super consistent for 3 and a half seasons now.

Except that he missed it least season by literally a few goals.
We're talking about this year.
And is 2 and a half disposals a game off getting there again.
2.56 disposals extra per game as an average from here is a lot.

He needs to average 21.6 for the rest of this year.

He's already had games of 11 disposals, 14, 14, 14, 17, 18, and 20. Seven games out of 9 all below the average he needs for the rest of the year (21.6) to average 20.

It's not happening.

I think Miers will always be underrated tbh. His kicking style is bloody ugly and it's hard to look past despite it being effective most of the time.

Meteoric Rise shoutout to Meteoric for having Rayner top 6 in this draft. May want to read the comments :p

Dylan Moore guys. What do we reckon?

Casual 27 disposals and 5 goals today.

No good. Needs to average at least 2.53866 more disposals a game to be any good.

Aren’t the disposal comments because Hawthorn fans incorrectly asserted he averaged 20 and 1 across 2 seasons?
Dylan Moore guys. What do we reckon?

Casual 27 disposals and 5 goals today.

Jet. Always does something damaging with the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just came across this thread again and I'm surprised reading back that there was so much negative comments about Moore.

Absolute heart and soul player, usually they are much loved by the broader community. Is there something unlikable about Moore that I'm missing as a Hawthorn fan?

Anyway would think he would be a strong candidate to be top 10 in a redraft.

Just came across this thread again and I'm surprised reading back that there was so much negative comments about Moore.

Absolute heart and soul player, usually they are much loved by the broader community. Is there something unlikable about Moore that I'm missing as a Hawthorn fan?

I don't think he is unlikable.
He doesn't grab me as a favourite and I don't think he is in the top 10 players in this draft either though.
I think when people think fans are over rating a player from their club they can respond overstating the negatives.
I think Moore is a fine player that any club would be happy to have.

Moore is one of those players who seems like they are capable of giving 110% when it comes to effort, can do it for longer than alot of other players.

He is also probably a player that will be perceived higher internally, as a forward he creates alot of good opportunities for himself and doesn't really have any weaknesses. I'd say thats what most rate, the goals the disposals the forward craft and delivery.

But his strongest asset is his defensive workrate, he is a high half forward most of the time but offen takes on duties you see off wingman, such as being the defensive cover on the fat side of the ground to allow the interceptors to leave their men, Or his pressure acts around stoppage, or his transition to open up play.

These things offen don't give a stat and don't come up on the telly but stand out like dogs breakfast live.

Anyway that's my rant.

Regarding top 10 I can only see a handful of guys I'd clearly have as superior to Moore and a bunch that you really shouldn't confidently say are better than one another. So yeah I think he is top 10 but you always rate your own more as you see them more closely.

nope i absolutely love watching him, tough as nails. has captain written all over him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back