List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad list, but the one thing I see lacking is Fyfe is the only real aggressive, beast, animal in the pack, jury still out on Apeness.
Add another hard nut, and I would sleep better at night.
Balla should be replaced by Yarren in time.

Blakely is a hardnut.

Balla/Yarren i can't see either of them having a big part in the 2018 season for example.

He never does well on his opponent, he panics under pressure his disposal is average but the club propaganda machine has been backing him to the hilt.I would love him to show some talent but he shows none.Should we wait till he plays 150 games to see improvement?He has taken Duffields spot who was an elite kick good one on one and a great decision maker.Mark my words he will never be better than he is now and that is below par.Every coach has his favourites and the top 4 who are all liabilities Spurr Sutcliffe Sheridan and Dawson.And there's our backline.When Ross finally jumps ship or is sacked those 4 are gone.
is only 22 and the structures have changed significantly so he is taking awhile to find his place. He averages 18 touches a game and generally does well against his opponent.

no he isn't the best player in the comp and yes he is in the bottom half of our best 22 but high potential.

Have you heard the business analogy - "why would i fire someone who just cost the business 10k - we just spent 10k teaching them a lesson".

I think the same thing about Sheridan in the Prelim last year - why would you fire him when we just lost a Prelim teaching him a lesson?

Yarran has not missed a session and a lot of it was rehab work on his own.Plus a lot of extra running after the main sessions. Not a pleasant way to train but got through it.
He was running with Mora today looking relaxed and chatting . He looked about as far away from someone not handling training as you can get.

He never does well on his opponent, he panics under pressure his disposal is average but the club propaganda machine has been backing him to the hilt.I would love him to show some talent but he shows none.Should we wait till he plays 150 games to see improvement?He has taken Duffields spot who was an elite kick good one on one and a great decision maker.Mark my words he will never be better than he is now and that is below par.Every coach has his favourites and the top 4 who are all liabilities Spurr Sutcliffe Sheridan and Dawson.And there's our backline.When Ross finally jumps ship or is sacked those 4 are gone.

Duffield played 171 games and averaged about the same possessions as sheridan does after 30 odd games.

I'll start with a bit of clean out. Barlow re-signs, as do Langdon, Apeness and Grey. I'd take Ibbotson. He's the only player we can afford to lose that has value. Neale's re-signing should be the club's first priority. Mayne and Clarke should be allowed to walk IMO. If they want to stay they can have one year deals.

Delisted/Retired: Pav, Hannath, Mzungu, C.Pearce, De Boer, Morabito, Deluca

Traded in: McCarthy

I'm choosing to honour 2017 contracts meaning Suban is safe but he's not best 22 and MJ plays on.

B. Spurr, Dawson, Johnson
HB. Sutcliffe, A.Pearce, Hughes
C. D.Pearce, Mundy, Hill
HF. Bennell, Taberner, Walters
F. McCarthy, Apeness, Ballantyne
R. Sandliands, Barlow, Neale
INT. Weller, Blakely, Sheridan, .......*
ERM. Yarran, Langdon, Tucker

*I'm leaving this spot for our first round draft pick assuming he's a mid. If we get a mid as a top five pick I can't see us not finding the room. If we take a key forward then I'd still reckon Taberner, Apeness etc would get first crack at it and Langdon and Tucker fight it out for the last spot.
If Yarran turns out to be any good, I'd trade Ballas.

Depends really, are we shooting for the flag next year or continuing with our "rewiring"?

I don't think success will be built off the back of one draft, so I am of the opinion we should trade heavily for picks for this year and next.
I would consider trading/letting go via free agency anyone on our list that is 26 or over as I doubt we will be a serious challenger in the next 5 years with the retirement of Pavlich, Sandilands, Johnson and Mundy occurring during this period.

More specifically, I think the following players should be looked at as both worth something and for lack of a better word, expendable;

Barlow, Ballantyne, Ibbotson, Spurr, Sherridan, Sutcliffe, Mayne, De Boer, Suban, Crozier and C Pearce.

Preferred 2017 starting line up;

FB: Hughes Dawson Ibbotson
HB: Mundy A Pearce Tucker
C: Hill Fyfe D Pearce
HF: Bennell McCarthy Weller
FF: Walters Apeness Yarran
R: Sandilands Neale Barlow
INT: Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Langdon, Grey

Fyfe?

I'll start with a bit of clean out. Barlow re-signs, as do Langdon, Apeness and Grey. I'd take Ibbotson. He's the only player we can afford to lose that has value. Neale's re-signing should be the club's first priority. Mayne and Clarke should be allowed to walk IMO. If they want to stay they can have one year deals.

Delisted/Retired: Pav, Hannath, Mzungu, C.Pearce, De Boer, Morabito, Deluca

Traded in: McCarthy

I'm choosing to honour 2017 contracts meaning Suban is safe but he's not best 22 and MJ plays on.

B. Spurr, Dawson, Johnson
HB. Sutcliffe, A.Pearce, Hughes
C. D.Pearce, Mundy, Hill
HF. Bennell, Taberner, Walters
F. McCarthy, Apeness, Ballantyne
R. Sandliands, Barlow, Neale
INT. Weller, Blakely, Sheridan, .......*
ERM. Yarran, Langdon, Tucker

*I'm leaving this spot for our first round draft pick assuming he's a mid. If we get a mid as a top five pick I can't see us not finding the room. If we take a key forward then I'd still reckon Taberner, Apeness etc would get first crack at it and Langdon and Tucker fight it out for the last spot.

Provided we stay as close to injury free as possible...

B: SPURR, DAWSON, HUGHES
HB: SHERIDAN, A PEARCE, MUNDY
C: WELLER, FYFE, HILL
HF: MCCARTHY, TABERNER, BENNELL
F: YARRAN, APENESS, WALTERS

R: SANDILANDS, NEALE, BARLOW
I/C: LANGDON, SUTCLIFFE, IBBOTSON, TUCKER

Next waiting in the wings...
BALLAS, GREY, D PEARCE, 2016 1ST ROUNDER, COLLINS, GRIFFIN, BALIC

Think Mayne & Clarke will go
Johnno retires :(

With this team at least we should get good pick 1or2 next year as well.
Here we come 2018!

You think my suggested team would finish bottom 2?

Errhhh...ok lol
3 members of backline poor and forward line unproven. Believe me I wish there was a quick fix but I really have my doubts.And still Sutcliffe Sheridan in team?I have watched nearly every afl game since 1990 so I don't get what people see in those 2!! I said from day 1 they're crap and 4 years later I'm still right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is Chris bond and Brad Lloyd have recruited poorly for 8 years and not filled the obvious gapping holes in out list. Where is Pavs Sandis McPharlins Duffields Johnsons replacements ? Sheridan Sutcliffe Dawson Spurr Hannath I think not!!

Cool if that's your opinion Freo Fred.

I've likewise watched my fair share of games. Certainly have expressed my reservations about Sutty in various posts especially in the backline. He's down on form from 2013 where I think he was solid. Tommy went alright last year and improved. I put the latter in the backline cause we need some run. Mundy will play Johnno's role of setting up. AP is versatile and shows he can do the job 1on1. Dawson solid if unspectacular. Spurr likewise. Hughes still obviously developing but I think he'll go ok 1on1 opposing the 3rd tall.

Forward line as you mentioned is untested but if things click, gives us more potency and class with Walters, Yarran, Son Son & Bennell. Tabs marking up the ground & high half forward, Ape close to goals, and if we get Cam, he's our 3rd tall mobile & able to kick it from 50. That's what we might only have to work with...did forget to mention Crozier as another potential option but hoping to see him build more consistency both during a whole game and stretch of games.

3 members of backline poor and forward line unproven. Believe me I wish there was a quick fix but I really have my doubts.And still Sutcliffe Sheridan in team?I have watched nearly every afl game since 1990 so I don't get what people see in those 2!! I said from day 1 they're crap and 4 years later I'm still right.

You clearly wouldn't understand football if It bit you on the arse. I had a close relative involved in the club for the first 3 years in a significant training role I was in a dockers Tv ad for 4 years. I wear dockers shorts to work everyday and the thing is I know football and I call a spade a spade!! Salim Malik cricket cheat an corrupt, so nice name. Everyone who knows me calls me Freo, usually to give me s**t for supporting freo,so say what you like but I have no doubt your a johnny come lately with no knowledge and a big mouth!Jeeba Jeeba Pakistan

Actually I am a foundation member .I've seen most training sessions and all home games live and a lot of interstate games . I'm going over to have a look at the Launceston game. My ethnic background has nothing to do with my support of football and also none of your business. I'm so glad you appeared in a Dockers add and your welcome to your opinion .But joining recently and coming on here rubbishing players etc usually smells like a troll. Apologies if your not.

PS Whats your opinion of Dawson.

Actually I am a foundation member .I've seen most training sessions and all home games live and a lot of interstate games . I'm going over to have a look at the Launceston game. My ethnic background has nothing to do with my support of football and also none of your business. I'm so glad you appeared in a Dockers add and your welcome to your opinion .But joining recently and coming on here rubbishing players etc usually smells like a troll. Apologies if your not.

PS Whats your opinion of Dawson.
I don't know what a troll is unless we are talking about some of my drunkin conquests before I was married.I don't do Facebook or any social media so maybe my etiquette is a bit off. I love 95% of the people in our team but see obvious holes.
Dawson is all we have right now for talls but was, with McPharlin and Johnson in team not as depended on and with 2 smart footy brains near him looked really good. But if he is our number shut down man that's not good.Then ibbotson was 4 th tall which made everything work smoothly

Balic will be a gun. Hoping he gets a run at peel before seasons end and pushing for the firsts in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what a troll is unless we are talking about some of my drunkin conquests before I was married.I don't do Facebook or any social media so maybe my etiquette is a bit off. I love 95% of the people in our team but see obvious holes.
Dawson is all we have right now for talls but was, with McPharlin and Johnson in team not as depended on and with 2 smart footy brains near him looked really good. But if he is our number shut down man that's not good.Then ibbotson was 4 th tall which made everything work smoothly

Trolls are opposition supporters coming on here pretending to be Freo supporters and rubbishing the club. They are especially around when things are not going well. New posters coming on here and posting rubbish are treated with suspicion. If you stick around and give a balanced opinion you will be welcomed with open arms. If you don't expect to be attacked.

Balic will be a gun. Hoping he gets a run at peel before seasons end and pushing for the firsts in 2017
He got placed on the LTI list today, so we'll have to wait 8 weeks at least unfortunately. I have a feeling he might be out for the season. Agree he will be a gun though - is in my future B22 sometime next year.

Duffield was a great servant of the club and was one of our best kicks, yes 100% agree...I do remember a time though when he was criticised for shirking a contest and labelled soft...just some small parallels to some of the expressed thoughts on Tommy.

Like Sutty, they both have some deficiencies which can be bloody frustrating but I'm still a believer that they'll come good. If not then the younger kids coming through will obviously surpass them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back