List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

On the subject of playing da yoof,it was interesting listening to Connor Blakely talking about his inability to 'run out games' last season.Saying that despite limited game time he was still inclined to 'Blow up a bit'.Reminder of how hard it all is.
Freo in the Kimberley
I'm guessing Logue will be the youngster closest to 'plug and play'.

Just recap last years injury list and players that were under done before the first bounce of the season
Mundy calf
Bennell Calf
Fyfe Leg under repair
Johnson Back ,Calf and hip
Apeness partial ACL
Yarran Knee
Hurley Hip end of career
this was followed by season ending injuries
Fyfe Broken Leg
A Pearce Broken leg
Sandi Broken Ribs , Punchered Lung ,
With the recruiting of experienced players and the return of senior players plus the development of second and 3rd year players we have the potential to progress back up the ladder .
Fringe players from last year that had reached their peak and found to be wanting have been cut from the list
De-Boer , Mzungu , C Pearce , Barlow , Hannath , Morabito and Smith.
Traded Mayne .
Retired Pavlich
Players that will need to train the house down to maintain a place in the starting 22 .
Taberner , Crozier ,Sutcliffe , Sheridan , Apeness , Ballantyne , Collins , Dawson ,Weller , Tucker and Langdon
Of the new players Logue ,Hamlin , Kerstan , Mccarthy would be IMHO in the best position to play game 1

Just recap last years injury list and players that were under done before the first bounce of the season
Mundy calf
Bennell Calf
Fyfe Leg under repair
Johnson Back ,Calf and hip
Apeness partial ACL
Yarran Knee
Hurley Hip end of career
this was followed by season ending injuries
Fyfe Broken Leg
A Pearce Broken leg
Sandi Broken Ribs , Punchered Lung ,
With the recruiting of experienced players and the return of senior players plus the development of second and 3rd year players we have the potential to progress back up the ladder .
Fringe players from last year that had reached their peak and found to be wanting have been cut from the list
De-Boer , Mzungu , C Pearce , Barlow , Hannath , Morabito and Smith.
Traded Mayne .
Retired Pavlich
Players that will need to train the house down to maintain a place in the starting 22 .
Taberner , Crozier ,Sutcliffe , Sheridan , Apeness , Ballantyne , Collins , Dawson ,Weller , Tucker and Langdon
Of the new players Logue ,Hamlin , Kerstan , Mccarthy would be IMHO in the best position to play game 1
Balic and his wrist to the injury list, and B Hill to the play game 1 list. 5 additions to our best 22, plus Bennell at least possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This line up would get monstered

Insightful... Maybe it's a bit too attacking but I feel that's the best way forward :cool:

Dawson is our best stopper but AP and MJ are more than capable and both offer some rebound. I don't really rate Hamling and don't tell me he's better than either of them as a stopper.

I like the idea of playing smaller because we were better when Ibbo was our third tall last year. Logue is capable of playing that role even more so than Ibbo with his extra height.

I like the idea of both Mundy and Ryan distributing off half back. Ryan is an unknown atm but these two could be our two best kicks in the side. Ryan is a nice intercept mark going by his videos too.

Spurr plays the main small stopper and he's is severely underrated for his intercept marks. I rate his leadership and presence down back too.

Insightful... Maybe it's a bit too attacking but I feel that's the best way forward :cool:

Dawson is our best stopper but AP and MJ are more than capable and both offer some rebound. I don't really rate Hamling and don't tell me he's better than either of them as a stopper.

I like the idea of playing smaller because we were better when Ibbo was our third tall last year. Logue is capable of playing that role even more so than Ibbo with his extra height.

I like the idea of both Mundy and Ryan distributing off half back. Ryan is an unknown atm but these two could be our two best kicks in the side. Ryan is a nice intercept mark going by his videos too.

Spurr plays the main small stopper and he's is severely underrated for his intercept marks. I rate his leadership and presence down back too.
I'm picking up what you're putting down. Although you would think we didn't give Hamling a 3yr contract to not play - first man in when MJ goes down. And maybe Crozier in for Mundy - bit more pace and Mundy can play mid or we'll probably roll with a 7 man defence anyway and Mundy can be the quarterback.

Mundy is not a defender , play him as mid . yes he start up as defender but he is not that good. Yes he do play well vs Adelaide in the first half , but after that crow send a person to him and he is ineffective .

Who is a lock? I've got 17 as locks. Is that too many? Who have I missed out?

Fyfe
Sandi
Neale
Walters
S Hill
Hamling
A Pearce
McCarthy
B Hill
Bennell
Yarran
Weller
Mundy
MJ
Yarran
Spurr
Blakely

Who is a lock? I've got 17 as locks. Is that too many? Who have I missed out?

Fyfe
Sandi
Neale
Walters
S Hill
Hamling
A Pearce
McCarthy
B Hill
Bennell
Yarran
Weller
Mundy
MJ
Yarran
Spurr
Blakely
Do freo got two Yarran?

Does anyone think Ethan Hughes has the capacity to play onball? Saw it raised elsewhere (or here?) and was just thinking about how exactly he fits in given our recent recruitment of similar types and with him already in competition with guys like Nyhuis/Tucker/Ibbo/Croz/Sutty etc he looks surplus to needs. Could he possibly reinvent himself and make his name elsewhere? Another rangy, run-with utility, ala late-season Tommy Sheridan, could be handy. Dunno.

Nope. He is built well and is athletic however struggles with skill errors even at Peel. He will cost too many turnovers. I'm not conviced.

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Although you would think we didn't give Hamling a 3yr contract to not play - first man in when MJ goes down. And maybe Crozier in for Mundy - bit more pace and Mundy can play mid or we'll probably roll with a 7 man defence anyway and Mundy can be the quarterback.

I honestly don't know why we picked Hamling but he is worth a pick in the 30's. Very unlikely MJ will play a full season anyway. I'm not sure who I prefer out of Collins and Hamling but it's obvious RTB doesn't rate Collins.

I like the idea of giving Blakely and even Langdon more time on the ball, both are up for it. This means Mundy is out and half back is the logical spot for him. That said he wasn't that great back there last year and is more suited to rolling back rather than playing as a defender. I still prefer Mundy over Crozier/Weller if I had to choose though because frankly he's just a better player.

Weller vs Crozier vs Ryan was the tough call for me. At this early stage I'm optimistic about Ryan and feel he has more to offer. Weller and Crozier were both great down back last year but getting cheap touches across half back isn't a tough gig. Weller is too talented for that and hopefully he steps up as a midfielder for us.

Mundy is not a defender , play him as mid . yes he start up as defender but he is not that good. Yes he do play well vs Adelaide in the first half , but after that crow send a person to him and he is ineffective .

Bulldust. If we had a better midfield Mundy coukd easily play off half back and has done so to great effect in previous seasons. He's perfect hight and size for a rebounding half back.

Bulldust. If we had a better midfield Mundy coukd easily play off half back and has done so to great effect in previous seasons. He's perfect hight and size for a rebounding half back.
I think is just a waste playing him half back .fyfe and Neale kick is not as elite as mundy kicking skill. I don't want too many muck around in the center square .
Opposition will think more with fyfe,Neale and mundy in the center bounce . each offer different skill but create different danger.

Last edited:

I do agree with this but feel we can't play Blakely if Mundy plays. It may not be Mundy's preferred position but he's still the best player on our list to play half back. It's a massive hole for us and he can keep the role warm until Carter arrives ;)

I do agree with this but feel we can't play Blakely if Mundy plays. It may not be Mundy's preferred position but he's still the best player on our list to play half back. It's a massive hole for us and he can keep the role warm until Carter arrives ;)
I hope Langdon/weller developed into running wingback or wing HB . Langdon can run all day but his kicking skill let him down , weller got skill but no stamina , croz got skill but not sure he can perform consistently.

Just an example , I rather weller or croz from back line kick to fyfe ,mundy or Neale. Than players that kick to opposition and the ball rebound right back to freo defensive half.this turnover is massive in modern game , kicking to boundary is no longer safe either, with deliberate rule.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back