List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know about later stanges , mundy and lee spurr is a lock for the early round.

Not sure Mundy will even be a certain starter this year. I know that sounds a bit drastic, but I would have him behind Blakely ect. It could all be a bit problematic if he is made captain.
Mundy is without the slightest doubt humanly possible best 22 all day everyday. Our captain would be one of the first two picked in the team every week.

Mundy is without the slightest doubt humanly possible best 22 all day everyday. Our captain would be one of the first two picked in the team every week.
He is indeed.

Regarding Mundy, I find it a bit difficult to predict how many seasons he may play for. He has a such a broad range of skills, and having played in defence and midfield he is versatile. The big question is about the last season, which in my opinion was not "bad", but was a drop off from where he has performed at his peak. Given the interrupted pre-season that is quite normal, but there is obviously a line of thought that it is age-decline related. I am confident that he will have a good season and will really injoy the midfield power that we are building

I think that if he has the desire he can play for anywhere up to another 3 seasons. His role would transition. His speed *cough* may drop, but I doubt if his disposal will decline, and he won't get any shorter until he hits my demographic.

Round 1

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
Weller - Johnson - Crozier
B Hill - Mundy - S - Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Kersten
Apeness - Taberner - Ballas

Sandi - Fyfe - Neale

Sherro- Blakely - Tucker - Langdon

To come in:
Alex Pearce, Bennell

A much improved side than the one that went against Geelong last year.

Round 1

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
B Hill - Mundy - S - Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Kersten
Apeness - Taberner - Ballas

Sandi - Fyfe - Neale

Sherro- Blakely - Tucker - Langdon

To come in:
Alex Pearce, Bennell

A much improved side than the one that went against Geelong last year.
I have to say I like that side. Pretty sure that is reality Griffin or Clarke, and D Pearce will be in for round 1.

I can only see an inside mid, run with role for Hughes, and lets be honest in that position he could
really excel.
Has the size, power to replace MDB, Mz, or Blakey at Peel.
I can only see Hughes turn into a young Ibbo right now. Balic, deluca and grey just got more experience as inside mid , run with role , hard nut than Hughes right now.

I can only see Hughes turn into a young Ibbo right now. Balic, deluca and grey just got more experience as inside mid , run with role , hard nut than Hughes right now.
Probably the least important role for us atm. Unless of course they can improve their disposal. But I guess it is the quality of those last few in the best 22 that define how good a side really is.

Probably the least important role for us atm. Unless of course they can improve their disposal. But I guess it is the quality of those last few in the best 22 that define how good a side really is.
Maybe we need a new thread on Dockers who will start with Peel, and what the team could look like, or is there one
already running?
Who's to say that Ibbo could be a playing with Peel?

I half agree, as freo is not GWS you can't get all top quality players like them . sometime complement each other strength and weakness is more important. I rate some of this players because eg this year draft freo only only can draft first , third and fourth rd. All this players even as good as logue will spend most of their time in wafl to build body and strength as the likes of ibbo,spurr, MJ ,Dawson ,mundy getting older.

I half agree, as freo is not GWS you can't get all top quality players like them . sometime complement each other strength and weakness is more important. I rate some of this players because eg this year draft freo only only can draft first , third and fourth rd. All this players even as good as logue will spend most of their time in wafl to build body and strength as the likes of ibbo,spurr, MJ ,Dawson ,mundy getting older.
Yeah.

I am tipping 5-10 games for Logue. Not a bad first season if it happens.

So with Pearce looking to be out for start of the season it opens the door up for Collins and Dawson with Collins the more likely?

It opens huge chance for a few guys. You know what? What could happen is Hamling and Johnson take 2 of the 3 tall spots and rotate the 3rd one. So Dawson gets 10-12 games. Logue and Cox play 3-5 games each and Collins play 5-7 games this season.

Then Again, If Johnsons body is shot and Alex pearce is out for the 1st half of the season, I can See Hamling play on the HBF and Dawson play full back for every single game for the 1st half of the season and then rotate Collins, Logue and Cox at Centre half back. Rotate certain spots in the team and play some youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.... Logue and Cox will spend most of the season playing WAFL.

26yrs and younger

Sutcliffe - A Pearce - Hamling
Weller - Logue - Crozier
B Hill- Blakely - S Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Bennell
Kersten - Taberner - Apeness

Clarke - Fyfe - Neale

Sherro - Langdon - Tucker - Deluca

Depth
Backline: Nyhuis, Ueber, Cox, Ryan, Duman
Mid: Grey, Balic
Ruck: Darcy
Fwd: Strnadica

Over 26yrs old taken out:
Sandi, Mundy, Johnson, Ballas, Spurr

Backline:
- 2 talls under 23yr old, both have shown to be excellent shutdown defenders. Hopefully they develop their attacking side as the years go by. They don't need to turn into Alex Rance, McPharlin levels of attack would be more than adequate.
- Weller and Crozier both looked good in parts of last year coming off the hbf. Both have spent the entire preseason training in the backline so we will know by the end of the year if this was a successful move. I'm confident these two boys are going to improve our ball movement out of the backline by quite some margin.
-Sutty.... 2014-15 he was a solid member of our backline. Offered good pace and a decent boot on him..... 2016 not so much. With our injuries to the backline and subsequent personnel changes Sutty struggled. He can be a good cog in a well oiled machine, but I'm not expecting him to be a leader back there. A spot we could improve on, but we could do worse.
- Logue? Unknown really, Is he destined to be the 3rd tall Johnson replacement? His highlight reel would suggest he has the attributes to do so. Good spoiler, great interceptor, strong, confident running the ball.

Midfield:
- Fyfe, Neale, S Hill, B Hill, Bennell have already shown they are capable of being apart of a top class midfield unit. Our area of least concern.
- How far can Blakely go this year, once he builds his tank it will be great to watch how far he can develop his game.
- Inside mid depth is a little worrying for my mind. I think at the end of this season we will be looking to draft another inside mid.
- Big year for Sherro, in his last interview he mentioned he will be playing on the inside more so it will be interesting how he goes. Ross has clearly rated him for awhile now. Dream scenario is he becomes a great inside/outside mid that slots in where we need him most. But we will see.
- Tucker and Langdon both look the goods to me. Langdon along with Brad Hill add elite speed to our team. Tucker I hope and think will eventually become another all rounder -Inside/Outside midfielder.

Ruck:
- Clarke and Darcy offer quite alot of uncertainty. Darcy looks good and Clarke once looked good. Honestly we're all hoping Sandi can last 2 more seasons so we know where we're at. There is still a chance Clarke gets back to his 2013 form...... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
- 2 years under the tutelage of Sandi though would be a great for Darcy.
- Hopefully Apeness can look down the ruck/fwd spot. Maybe not this year but it would be good to trial him as the full time ruck a few times to see if he could be relied upon in case of emergency.

Forwards:
- Our forward line is very young. Confident on Walters, McCarthy and Bennell being good to great players for years to come.
- Tabs and Apeness still both have big question marks. Big year ahead for both of them. If they both come good we are going to be be in a very good position for years to come. Coming good to me means eventually Tabs is kicking 40+ goals a year and Apeness is kicking 30+ and being an effective pinch hitting ruck.
- Kersten.... Polarising opinions on the Geelong board on if he was good or not. Will be interesting how he is used.
- Wouldn't be upset if we used our 1st rounder to pick up Mitch McGovern this year.

Overall:
- This under 26 team is already 80% of our best 22. That to me puts us in a great spot moving forward.
- Replacing Johnson and Sandi the two biggest hurdles.
- Tabs, McCarthy and Apeness performing well together will be the biggest factor on how we go moving back into being a top 4 threat in my mind.
- A big year for our three amigos. Entering their 3rd year now. If they can each continue to improve we are going to be in a very good spot.
- Sherro and Crozier entering their 6th season now. Both going to be taking quite a bit more responsibility this year. Crozier's output will be very important to how we fair.

26yrs and younger

Weller - Logue - Crozier
B Hill- Blakely - S Hill

Clarke - Fyfe - Neale

Depth

Backline:
- 2 talls under 23yr old, both have shown to be excellent shutdown defenders. Hopefully they develop their attacking side as the years go by. They don't need to turn into Alex Rance, McPharlin levels of attack would be more than adequate.
- Weller and Crozier both looked good in parts of last year coming off the hbf. Both have spent the entire preseason training in the backline so we will know by the end of the year if this was a successful move. I'm confident these two boys are going to improve our ball movement out of the backline by quite some margin.
-Sutty.... 2014-15 he was a solid member of our backline. Offered good pace and a decent boot on him..... 2016 not so much. With our injuries to the backline and subsequent personnel changes Sutty struggled. He can be a good cog in a well oiled machine, but I'm not expecting him to be a leader back there. A spot we could improve on, but we could do worse.
- Logue? Unknown really, Is he destined to be the 3rd tall Johnson replacement? His highlight reel would suggest he has the attributes to do so. Good spoiler, great interceptor, strong, confident running the ball.

Midfield:
- Fyfe, Neale, S Hill, B Hill, Bennell have already shown they are capable of being apart of a top class midfield unit. Our area of least concern.
- How far can Blakely go this year, once he builds his tank it will be great to watch how far he can develop his game.
- Inside mid depth is a little worrying for my mind. I think at the end of this season we will be looking to draft another inside mid.
- Big year for Sherro, in his last interview he mentioned he will be playing on the inside more so it will be interesting how he goes. Ross has clearly rated him for awhile now. Dream scenario is he becomes a great inside/outside mid that slots in where we need him most. But we will see.
- Tucker and Langdon both look the goods to me. Langdon along with Brad Hill add elite speed to our team. Tucker I hope and think will eventually become another all rounder -Inside/Outside midfielder.

Ruck:
- Clarke and Darcy offer quite alot of uncertainty. Darcy looks good and Clarke once looked good. Honestly we're all hoping Sandi can last 2 more seasons so we know where we're at. There is still a chance Clarke gets back to his 2013 form...... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
- Hopefully Apeness can look down the ruck/fwd spot. Maybe not this year but it would be good to trial him as the full time ruck a few times to see if he could be relied upon in case of emergency.

Forwards:
- Our forward line is very young. Confident on Walters, McCarthy and Bennell being good to great players for years to come.
- Tabs and Apeness still both have big question marks. Big year ahead for both of them. If they both come good we are going to be be in a very good position for years to come. Coming good to me means eventually Tabs is kicking 40+ goals a year and Apeness is kicking 30+ and being an effective pinch hitting ruck.
- Kersten.... Polarising opinions on the Geelong board on if he was good or not. Will be interesting how he is used.
- Wouldn't be upset if we used our 1st rounder to pick up Mitch McGovern this year.

Overall:
- This under 26 team is already 80% of our best 22. That to me puts us in a great spot moving forward.
- Tabs, McCarthy and Apeness performing well together will be the biggest factor on how we go moving back into being a top 4 threat in my mind.
- A big year for our three amigos. Entering their 3rd year now. If they can each continue to improve we are going to be in a very good spot.
- Sherro and Crozier entering their 6th season now. Both going to be taking quite a bit more responsibility this year. Crozier's output will be very important to how we fair.
Good stuff but missing dawson.

26yrs and younger

Weller - Logue - Crozier
B Hill- Blakely - S Hill

Clarke - Fyfe - Neale

Depth

Backline:

Midfield:

Ruck:

Forwards:

Overall:
Not a bad post....

Funny thing is you got a good young back 6 with out mentioning sam Collins.

As for the tall forward stocks.... Kersten and McCarthy are locks for the 22. One will play CHF, the other gets a spot in the Forward pocket or flank.

Tabs and Apeness fights for that one spot in the goal square. If an unlikely event that both are injured, Cox, Logue or Strnadica or Ubergan gets a game there.

Yes a pretty decent appraisal Unique, and considering you left out Dawson, Collins and Hughes, we are doing ok down back. There is certainly room to consider one of the tall backs, especially Logue or Cox, but possibly Pearce, in a different role.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
Not sure, I'd like us to make a huge rise. But to be honest I don't think we will. Too many questionmarks over defense and attack. Hopefully not talent but experience wise. This somehow means we should get games into youngsters, so I would only play one of Johnson and Dawson preferrable Johnson.

I'm predicting guys like Ibbotson, D.Pearce and Dawson (mainly due to A.Pearces injury) will start round one. If things don't go to plan or they don't perform they'll be replaced. Ibbotson can range for very good to very ordinary. Is out of contract at the end of the year (free agent) and there's a smallish chance this may be his last season in purple but he'll be given first crack IMO. He goes back to 2015 form and he's almost in our top 5-10 players. Dawson you know hat you'll get. He'll blanket an opposition key forward but won't give you much the other way. As good as A.Pearce is Dawson won't be easy to replace once he starts the season, without injury/suspension of course. With D.Pearce I think the coaching staff plan on playing him most games otherwise wouldn't have got a deal to 2018. Will be interesting to see where he plays. Can see him playing more forward this year. Probably won't drop out of the side unless it's for injury.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

D. Pearce In a good side was the best inside 50 player in the comp. he showed that when we were playing as a quality team. Mundy in a quality team is the same he is under less amount of pressure and his disposal is sublime. Once we get players like fyfe,bennell,b. Hill in the middle they will show exactly why they are best 22 and quality players with other quality mids around them

D. Pearce In a good side was the best inside 50 player in the comp. he showed that when we were playing as a quality team. Mundy in a quality team is the same he is under less amount of pressure and his disposal is sublime. Once we get players like fyfe,bennell,b. Hill in the middle they will show exactly why they are best 22 and quality players with other quality mids around them
Let's hope there will be no more melt on d.Pearce regarding his disposal this season .

Our midfield had nothing to kick to last year down forward apart from Walters. This year we need ballantyne up and firing,a fit bennell and we have the new blokes in kersten,McCarthy to add into the mix of tabener and apeness. The midfielders will be licking their lips at options

If D Pearce could lower his eyes and hit a target, sure would make his inside 50 noteworthy, the reality is that younger
players could do both, have time on their side, bring more to the table already.

Not sure, I'd like us to make a huge rise. But to be honest I don't think we will. Too many questionmarks over defense and attack. Hopefully not talent but experience wise. This somehow means we should get games into youngsters, so I would only play one of Johnson and Dawson preferrable Johnson.

I don't really get the "games into youngsters" thing. Good experience is great. Experience where no-one knows what they are doing, you're getting constantly pounded because you're hopeless and the opposition barely care because they know they are going to win is of really questionable value in my view.

I would like to see us field the best team we can each week, with the proviso that where selection decisions are marginal, youngsters get a go. Also where youngsters earn a call up they get a few weeks to settle in and make a mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back