2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that the attendance was predictable and predicted does not take away from how unusual it was.

The biggest ever in the long storied history of the Richmond V Carlton rivalry. The biggest ever attendance at a Carlton away game. Think about it. Never in history have the Blues, a powerhouse of the game, played away before a bigger home crowd. Literally unprecedented.

The fact that the attendance was predictable and predicted does not take away from how unusual it was.

The biggest ever in the long storied history of the Richmond V Carlton rivalry. The biggest ever attendance at a Carlton away game. Think about it. Never in history have the Blues, a powerhouse of the game, played away before a bigger home crowd. Literally unprecedented.

But its not a "world record"

Lets be excitee about big crowds, but the hyperbole is a bit much

Absolutely massive Tiger turnout last night as expected. Must have been close to 80K tigers there. Aside from the GF in our last 4 games we have had 3 90K plus crowds which have been extremely lopsided Richmond's way. This really is unprecedented. I remember the Sheedy\Hird farewell game which was heavily weighted Essendon's way and the only other 2 were the Collingwood Adelaide 2002 prelim and Essendon West Coast Semi in the late 90s but none of those were anywhere near the level of these last 3 games. The Tiger Army is an absolute beast at the moment.

As usual the mcc could have been a lot fuller. 2 bays would have been empty like it is all year round.
I always think its strange that with a supposed sellout at the G there are lots of empty seats all around the ground

So do thousands people buy tickets and dont show up or are MCC the BS us with their figures?

I always think its strange that with a supposed sellout at the G there are lots of empty seats all around the ground

So do thousands people buy tickets and dont show up or are MCC the BS us with their figures?

Mcc had a fair number of gsps last night.

The reserved seating section where i was at the pre had a few empties, but not many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's about 100 single tickets left for tonight's match. Considering it's effectively a sell-out and a Friday night, if Essendon can't get more than 43k through the turnstiles I can't see them ever doing so again against interstate opposition. Being round 1, I imagine there will be a higher than usual reserve seat uptake and there will be a decent amount of Medallion members. I suspect it'll be about 45k. I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong.

The showers around Melbourne this weekend probably won't help the crowds for Collingwood-Hawthorn and Melbourne-Geelong.

happens. i wish they'd create an app for people who can't go at last minute so they can sell their ticket - obviously regulated by the ground or club and at a mandated discount to the cover price so they might be able to recover some of the cost and give the ground or club a second bite at the cherry

Massive crowd last night.

Does anyone know what the most 90k+ Home and Away crowds have been in a season? Although unlikely, is possible Anzac Day eve, Anzac Day, and Dreamtime all reach 90k. I’d say maybe ~33% chance one does?

This game will. The club said during the week there's been more interest in pre ticket sales for this game than round 1 with Carlton. It will be the biggest H&A game for the season and could pass the biggest Pies/Bombers day clash of 94,825

Does anyone know what the most 90k+ Home and Away crowds have been in a season? Although unlikely, is possible Anzac Day eve, Anzac Day, and Dreamtime all reach 90k. I’d say maybe ~33% chance one does?

Given that the current record is 1, we've already equalled it. :)

The current shortest period of time between 90k+ crowds is 10 months, 4 days (8 Jun 81 to 12 Apr 82). This is the only instance of 2 90k+ crowds in less than a year. There's been two instances of exactly 1 year - ANZAC Days in 2006 & 2007 and also in 2013 & 2014.

First world record for the big 1 in the league the tigers will be achieved tonight.

World record for a round 1 game

Also world record for the first club in history to play in 4 games in a row of over 90,000 crowd

It will be the first world record of many set this year by the tigers no doubt.
That's what happens when a well supported club comes good after not winning a final for 15 years, i mean 15 ******* years man, that would be close to a record too wouldn't it?

43,016 is a record for Essendon v Adelaide at Docklands, good crowd but was hoping for a bit higher.

What an excellent start to the season. Really really good news.

A record Richmond V Carlton crowd followed by a record Essendon V Adelaide crowd. These are all time record turnouts for the respective fixtures. A stunningly good start to the round and the year.

Further good news in that with Richmond and Essendon starting well we have two clubs both of which are well able to draw 1,000,000 plus across the season starting in good order and even Carlton though beaten put up a show that will presumably enthuse their fans and help to put a floor on it even if they don't go particularly well.

What an excellent start to the season. Really really good news.

A record Richmond V Carlton crowd followed by a record Essendon V Adelaide crowd. These are all time record turnouts for the respective fixtures. A stunningly good start to the round and the year.

Further good news in that with Richmond and Essendon starting well we have two clubs both of which are well able to draw 1,000,000 plus across the season starting in good order and even Carlton though beaten put up a show that will presumably enthuse their fans and help to put a floor on it even if they don't go particularly well.
Great summary. Both great fixtures results in their own way. Silly in a way but both fixtures on the night sort of needed a bigger stadium:)

Both had great atmospheres as well. The MCG full is unbeatable. Ethihad was going off in the last quarter. When Ethihad is full, and some of the crowd has had a refreshment or three, the crowd create a huge level of noise and excitement. Essendon up and about make the stadium work quite well. Just a pity we can’t play these games at the G as it would’ve been an even better spectacle. Great first two nights. Go the sash(s)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back