2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowd of 27k historically speaking is very good by standards of Freo matches at the SCG.

It’s just that Swans crowds seemed to have stagnated after some remarkable turnouts in the 2016/17 period.

Given they only won 1 out of 4 at the SCG before last night, this would have turned off a few from attending last night.

Had they say beaten WCE, Geel, WB and Haw at home instead of away, the crowd would have been much better last night.

Their crowd against Bris after losing to Port, GWS and Coll at home last year was only 25K also.

Carlton at the SCG in 2 weeks time will see their crowds back to the low-mid 30s.

Given they only won 1 out of 4 at the SCG before last night, this would have turned off a few from attending last night.

Had they say beaten WCE, Geel, WB and Haw at home instead of away, the crowd would have been much better last night.

Their crowd against Bris after losing to Port, GWS and Coll at home last year was only 25K also.

Carlton at the SCG in 2 weeks time will see their crowds back to the low-mid 30s.

There was also a Tahs (who would have a lot of overlapping fans) game on next door at the same time and.....and this is a blight on our coutry...I'd suggest a lot of people would have stayed home to keep an eye on the royal wedding....this goes for the saints pies game as well. I heard a kid say he was thinking of leaving early for it and I'm not sure he was joking

I thoight the scg crowd was decent. As stated already, tahs next door will always detract. 27k in sydney is always a decent crowd to be unhaply with, if that makes sense

I thoight the scg crowd was decent. As stated already, tahs next door will always detract. 27k in sydney is always a decent crowd to be unhaply with, if that makes sense

Well, any other sport in Sydney would be over the moon with that crowd truth be told

Well, any other sport in Sydney would be over the moon with that crowd truth be told
Exactly. And thats the context we shoukd view these crowds. Its a win. Nrl and soccer and union would kill to have that on a stand a lone night.

No it wont, any more than any other rule change has ended the game. (and this isnt a new idea either, Oakley says they were kicking it around in the late 80s). In fact I dont think the game will look a hell of a lot different to what it did in the mid-90s when forwards didnt press into the defensive half creating congestion, and defenders didnt go the other way.

And heres the thing, the pot of gold that is tv rights will stop expanding at some point - i think we've hit peak already. Weekly AFL tv ratings in real terms have not changed since the 1990s despite more games and guaranteed local broadcasts.

not suggesting you do this (its too big a job), but it would be interesting to see the change in %age of viewers for various types of tv shows against live sport from the 90's to now.

I agree the non stop mega increases in tv rights are coming to an end, but the one thing that may help is i suspect the drop off in other tv shows is greater than it is for sport. TBH im one of the problems with tv today, only watch stuff via streaming - except for sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

57,616 in Perth, new stadium record.
So 2500 ish less than full house. Wonder if full house will ever be achieved.
Be nice to know if these 2500 were member no shows scattered around the stadium or if certain sections had more than a few empties

Austadiums list Traegar park capacity at 10,000. Be interesting if next weeks game pushes that.

Just so people understand, the Royal Wedding got approximately 4 million viewers in the capital cities last night. Pretty sure that comfortably beats any AFL Grand Final... ever? So obviously that's going to impact crowds.

Considering it was on 4 out of the 5 TV channels in prime time its not that spectacular.

Austadiums list Traegar park capacity at 10,000. Be interesting if next weeks game pushes that.

That would mean 40% of the township would actually be sold be at the game (ok maybe 35% once out of towners are taken into account)

It would still be an unbelievable showing that no other city in Australia has probably ever achieved.

That would mean 40% of the township would actually be sold be at the game (ok maybe 35% once out of towners are taken into account)

It would still be an unbelievable showing that no other city in Australia has probably ever achieved.
But there would be a few thous crows fans travel up regardless.

From a potential crowd point of view with the form of the sides leading into this it seems like a missed opportunity. Would have been 50k at AO and upwards of 35k at MCG.
We do play them at Adelaide oval later in the year. Melbourne see us as the perfect team for games in the NT, seen with the highest attendance in Darwin since 2006 and the fact that both clubs have connections with the NT.

So 2500 ish less than full house. Wonder if full house will ever be achieved.
Be nice to know if these 2500 were member no shows scattered around the stadium or if certain sections had more than a few empties

You'll have to wait for a final where everyone buys a ticket.

From a potential crowd point of view with the form of the sides leading into this it seems like a missed opportunity. Would have been 50k at AO and upwards of 35k at MCG.

It's Melbourne's home game so Adelaide Oval is irrelevant, however if it was at the MCG it I think they could get upwards of 45,000.

Would love to know how they come up with the so called 10k capacity. We got a tick over 11k a few years back for a pre season game between Adelaide and West Coast.

Adelaide are probably the most followed team here - crowds should be up on previous years (which have been disappointing).

Will be interesting to see what next week’s Hawks v Eagles draws.

I reckon today’s result will give Hawks fans the perfect excuse not to go to Docklands as seemingly like all supporters of MCG clubs they dislike the ground and rarely turn up in big numbers.

Reckon it will be about 22k or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back