2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasnt that long ago The Wallabies were selling out Docklands in fact held the record crowd there of 56,771 in 2013 but those glory days are long gone.The ratings will be very interesting for all 4 sports yesterday.

With the crap weather atm in Melbourne might be lucky to get 40,000 today at the G.The only good thing is the TV ratings should be pretty good.

I was involved with a VFA club in the heyday of the VFA on Sundays and with weather like todays it would cut the crowds by over half.

Last edited:
Yes.
The RL fanatics on LU are openingly doubting the size of most of their crowds this week.
One even reckoned they had the GWS guy counting them LOL
Lol
They do struggle to count the crowds properly over there in old Sydney town!

The old RL has had loads of troubles over the years

Mediaweek
@MediaweekAUS

·
36m
#TVratings Saturday sports (FTA metro) #WorldCup #AUS v #FRA #SBS 1.65m #AFL #Seven 352k #Rugby #TEN #AUSvIRL 195k #Cricket #9Gem #ENGvAUS 148k #Netball #Nine #SuncorpSuperNetball #VIXvFEV 76k TV ratings & analysis Mediaweek Morning Report. Subscribe free: (link: https://bit.ly/2HthaQk) bit.ly/2HthaQk
352K metro is better than I thought with a one sided game against a socceroos world cup match

Socceroos got 2.133M including regionals...so about a prelim final level

Rugby took the biggest hit on last week but probably understandable given the jingoism factor would have been dominated by a soccer world cup

Has Optus Sport ever released ratings? A lot would have tuned into Optus Sports for Socceroos as it was shown live on their useless platform too.

On the Geelong Richmond game today.... lucky to get 30k in this weather. Been off and on torrential rain all morning. Can’t see many travelling up highway for a Geelong home game in this

Ok on the weather today it has been raining non stop for 10 hours! And expected to continue to rain till tonight. It’s been bucketing down unbelievable the worst we’ve had this year.

What a pity as I was hoping (if it was dry) the crowd to be 60-70K v the cats!

Will it reach 50K? Probably a stretch in these horrid conditions
But here’s hoping!!!
Ohh yeah forgot to add it’s currently 9 degrees :D

Has Optus Sport ever released ratings? A lot would have tuned into Optus Sports for Socceroos as it was shown live on their useless platform too.

On the Geelong Richmond game today.... lucky to get 30k in this weather. Been off and on torrential rain all morning. Can’t see many travelling up highway for a Geelong home game in this

I suspect there weren't any significant numbers streaming on Optus Sports rather than watching it ad-free on SBS. Why would anyone choose to do that?

I think 30K is a bit drastic but it would be a great effort if it got to 50K today given the weather

Couldn’t agree more.
If this was Richmond or Essendon or Collingwood too there would be apocalypse talk.
I think this is a bit over the top. Hawthorn have had 18 smaller crowds in Melbourne against interstate sides this century (most pre-2008). In 2001 they made the prelim and had 16,595 (Fremantle) and 22,988 (Adelaide), significantly smaller crowds.

Richmond in their 2001 prelim year also had a smaller crowd of 25,856 against West Coast.

Crowds haven't grown since 2001. I think the expectations for crowds are too high on this board.

Will probably still be 45,000 or so at the ‘G today. 30,000 is a bit of an exaggeration with two big Melbourne clubs in the top 8.
Best recent example I can think of was round 3 last year, Carlton V Essendon.

Torrential rain didn’t stop all day. Just as bad, if not worse than today. MCC predicted 60,000. Official attendance 38,000. Based on this example if the rain doesn’t stop between now and 3pm, I think logic suggests somewhere around 40,000 or just over will be about it.

I suspect there weren't any significant numbers streaming on Optus Sports rather than watching it ad-free on SBS. Why would anyone choose to do that?

I think 30K is a bit drastic but it would be a great effort if it got to 50K today given the weather
Apparently big problems with the Optus stream, lots of complaints of it being unwatchable.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok on the weather today it has been raining non stop for 10 hours! And expected to continue to rain till tonight. It’s been bucketing down unbelievable the worst we’ve had this year.

What a pity as I was hoping (if it was dry) the crowd to be 60-70K v the cats!

Will it reach 50K? Probably a stretch in these horrid conditions
But here’s hoping!!!
Ohh yeah forgot to add it’s currently 9 degrees :D

Currently 9, feels like 3
Raining heavily
Car park limited to 25% capacity
No trains stopping at Jolimont

Optus is Ad Free and you don’t have to listen to David Basheers woeful comentary and Fosters special comments. Plus people who aren’t at home can log into Optus.

Absolutely terrible crowd.

Where is the talk of hawthorns 75000 members?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably in the same dark place along with the 96,000 Richmond members when they played the Lions and Saints

That said the Tigers only had to contend with poor weather and a deplorable saints outfit. Hawthorn had poor weather and probably the largest football match in Australian Soccer since the 2014 World Cup tie against Spain and Holland

Stones and glass houses and all that

They struggled to get 12K to take the tram ride down Bourke Street to play North earlier in the season.

It's got to the point where i'm calling bullshit on their membership numbers. They're fudged.

Oh please. Hawthorn’s ‘home’ game against West Coast (28,077) at Docklands outdrew your matches against Hawthorn (27,983) and comparable with Richmond on Easter Sunday (29,153) and the Good Friday ‘blockbuster’ (33,966). And that was an early Sunday fixture too. So if Hawthorn, with its pathological hatred for Docklands can outdraw you to your home ground you really are in a world of trouble...

If your model relies on more then 15,000 opposition fans rocking up to your most desirable home games in order to draw 30,000 you really are buggered. Regardless of whether you have 45,000 ‘members’ or not.

The reality is that Hawthorn’s last 3 MCG home games have been impacted by mitigating factors (deplorable weather and the Socceroos). This is demonstrated in the MCC forecast attendances...

Hawthorn v Melbourne - 41,983 (MCC est 50,000)
Hawthorn v Sydney - 32,784 (MCC est 46,000)
Hawthorn v Adelaide - 26,784 (MCC est 35,000)

Now naturally those numbers would be a dream for North Melbourne but they are well down on corresponding fixtures in previous seasons. Namely the Sydney and Adelaide numbers...

Sydney
Rd 19 2017 52,181 at the MCG
Rd 9 2016 61,118 at the MCG
Rd 8 2015 63,319 at the MCG
Rd 21 2014 72,724 at the MCG
Rd 8 2013 54,724 at the MCG

So the Hawks v Swans game was 27,500 down on the 5 game average

Adelaide
Rd 2 2017 37,460 at the MCG
Rd 5 2016 45,782 at the MCG
Rd 3 2012 33,524 at the MCG
Rd 21 2009 32,824 at the MCG
Rd 10 2004 22,840 at the MCG

Including 2004 (when Hawthorn crowds were at their baseline) yesterday’s game was 8,000 down on the 5 game average.

Look I understand why North Melbourne people want Hawthorn attendances to slide. If they slide there is an off chance that the AFL won’t push Hawthorn out of Tasmania and shift North into a 7 game colocation deal

It was also Burgoyne's milestone game as well.

Of course it is cold because 3 months of the season is played during the winter. Rain is different.

Well the only comparable game was Burgoynes 300th which drew 19,000 more against the same team.

Hawthorn’s last two MCG home games are against Geelong and Essendon. If those draw poorly they are staring down the barrel of a grim home game schedule. That said the away game attendance remains extremely high (perhaps Hawthorn is an outside shot to top away attendances as they did in 2016?)

Probably in the same dark place along with the 96,000 Richmond members when they played the Lions and Saints

That said the Tigers only had to contend with poor weather and a deplorable saints outfit. Hawthorn had poor weather and probably the largest football match in Australian Soccer since the 2014 World Cup tie against Spain and Holland

Stones and glass houses and all that
Weather was much worse for Richmond v Brisbane than last night though.

Weather was much worse for Richmond v Brisbane than last night though.

Maybe. Did the Richmond game compete with the Socceroos opening tie against France. The Hawthorn v Adelaide attendance was more then 8,000 down on their last 5 game against Adelaide at the MCG. And almost 20,000 down on the last time Burgoyne celebrated a milestone which was also against Adelaide.

Optus is Ad Free and you don’t have to listen to David Basheers woeful comentary and Fosters special comments. Plus people who aren’t at home can log into Optus.

Well, I don't think large numbers would be choosing to stream over ad free FTA....I'm sure there are some who are offended enough by Basheers and Moores commentary but it wouldn't be troubling the ratings numbers much

More generally there are some people who don't bother with a tv connection at all nowadays who would have had to stream it. Also people watching in pubs and BBQs etc but that is a problem with ratings generally which I suspect under estimate aus tv numbers, particularly for bigger events.

The AFL grand final apparently rates about 3.5M from memory but a Roy Morgan survey estimated there were 8.4 M last year. Obviously the 8.4 might be more comparable to a peak but still....

On that note, I suspect more than 1 in 10 Australians watched the soccer last night but as a comparator the reported figure is the best figure to go off

We got under 20K for home games twice in 2016

I really don't think last nights crowd was that bad given the situation

We actually didn’t, although it was close.

I agree with the second sentence.

I'd wager that's the most intelligent well thought out response you have ever made.

If the AFL get to Kennett what’s stoping another colocation deal flying your way. You need more then 15,000 opposition fans rocking up to your home games (your words not mine) in order to prevent handing a cheque over to the Docklands stadium management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back