AFL Grand Final Grand Final, 2018: West Coast v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was largely won and lost inside 50. West Coast had more I50 entries and more marks I50. But the biggest difference was that even though Collingwood had 30 more tackles for the game, West Coast had 8 more tackles I50.
This is one of the main areas where the Saints need to improve.
We have capable targets I50 but the organisation of the forward line and the delivery I50 has been poor. We also let the ball come out of our forward 50 too easily this year.
Pressure, Pressure, Pressure is one of the keys. Pressure on the ball carrier, pressure inside F50 and developing enough talent on our list to create pressure for a spot in the team.

I think the afl could open up their stingy billion dollar purse strings and fork out for a few more premiership medals.
The entire squad should get one in my opinion, if they want, maybe have different medals for those who played and those who didn't.
After all it is a combined team effort for the whole season and beyond.

The thing that resonates with me after the game (which was a beauty) is the regrets that the likes of Sidebottom and Pendles will have.

Both superb players that have been great this finals series but were poor in the GF. Bottom line for me is if one of them had played well they'd be premiers.

This one will hurt for the Pies. A huge missed opportunity.

The thing that resonates with me after the game (which was a beauty) is the regrets that the likes of Sidebottom and Pendles will have.

Both superb players that have been great this finals series but were poor in the GF. Bottom line for me is if one of them had played well they'd be premiers.

This one will hurt for the Pies. A huge missed opportunity.
It was an awesome game and to me the biggest winner was Bucks. Polished public performance yesterday from a leadership and humanistic people standpoint.

Won a lot of respect IMO.

It was a fantastic game played in the right manner and won by the better team on the day.

Followed by a pretty classy display in general by the winners and losers, the AFL should be very happy today.

Lessons for the saints, you can’t make it or win without a quality midfield that preferably bats deep.

I was impressed with WCE's strong marking around the ground- from talls to smalls..I think they were physically stronger on the day even though the scoreboard says it was close. We really lack marking power, and it's something our recruiters need to look at- guys who can play above their height.

It was a fantastic game played in the right manner and won by the better team on the day.

Followed by a pretty classy display in general by the winners and losers, the AFL should be very happy today.

Lessons for the saints, you can’t make it or win without a quality midfield that preferably bats deep.
West Coast have shown that your midfield doesn't need to be made of all A-graders, just a group of players who will crack in, play as a team and can hit a target under pressure. We dont need to be so obsessed about who in our team the media think is an A grader because that doesn't matter when the game is being played. Collingwood was the team with the A Grade, high profile midfielders yet they went missing when it mattered and West Coast's under valued guys were able to get it done.

West Coast have shown that your midfield doesn't need to be made of all A-graders, just a group of players who will crack in, play as a team and can hit a target under pressure. We dont need to be so obsessed about who in our team the media think is an A grader because that doesn't matter when the game is being played. Collingwood was the team with the A Grade, high profile midfielders yet they went missing when it mattered and West Coast's under valued guys were able to get it done.
I think west coast have a very good midfield it’s just underrated over here, but yes Collingwood have an A grade midfield imo.

I think west coast have a very good midfield it’s just underrated over here, but yes Collingwood have an A grade midfield imo.
They do have a very good midfield, but it isn't what you would call 'star-studded'.
We often get caught up on here about our 'lack of A grade' players but West Coast have shown that it doesn't matter.

They do have a very good midfield, but it isn't what you would call 'star-studded'.
We often get caught up on here about our 'lack of A grade' players but West Coast have shown that it doesn't matter.

Reckon Shuey would be rated a real star if he played in Melbourne.

So west coast has some talls that took marks in the GF.

And that’s what you want to base our draft strategy on as opposed to the best option which is Rankine.

Has not they Boyd trade convincing trout that Mccartin was the future of football taught you people anything ????

Yeah that have a good even bunch where we drop off pretty quick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% this , West Coast mids are just full of strong grunts with good foot skills although Gaff , Shuey and Yeo are classy.
Saints could very easily and quickly turn into this model .
Class .....Steven , Gresham,
Grunt .....Ross , Steele , Acres , Hanneberry
Unknown....Clark, Coffield and pick 3

100% this , West Coast mids are just full of strong grunts with good foot skills although Gaff , Shuey and Yeo are classy.
Saints could very easily and quickly turn into this model .
Class .....Steven , Gresham,
Grunt .....Ross , Steele , Acres , Hanneberry
Unknown....Clark, Coffield and pick 3
2 out of the 3 you mentioned are AA. We will have one who has injury issues. As I said previously being so far away from us means some aren't rated as highly as they should be. Good foot skills is another great point. Im not we have that.

2 out of the 3 you mentioned are AA. We will have one who has injury issues. As I said previously being so far away from us means some aren't rated as highly as they should be. Good foot skills is another great point. Im not we have that.

Strangely and not 100% sure but our back 6 seemed to use the ball better than our midfield group and high forwards.
I credit Playfair massively for our Defensive effort, I’m hoping like hell the flow on effect will be Brett Ratten working with our mids and Lade with our forwards . Time will tell Plugs .

Starting line up of players who have left the saints and gone on to win a premiership at another club:

B: MALTHOUSE, WAKELIN, RICE
HB: GUERRA, PEROVIC, GREENE
C: T.BROWN, STEWART, FREEMAN
HF: RAE, HALL, HUTCHINGS
F: CRIPPS, McEVOY, MOYES
R: HARDING, BALL, McLEOD

I couldn't find another winger but knowing our luck Freeman will be picked up by someone and become a premiership player.

Some of the players are from the early days of the VFL so hard to gauge their performances but for the sake of this exercise I have included them.
Was going to point out Rice for the wing then noticed you have him in a back pocket!
Then thought maybe matty Lappin but he played in a GF for the blues but no cigar at the end!
By that stage i had already replied to your message and was left completely dumbfounded
not for the first time clearly! Then sorry for saying this but in a desperate attempt to regain some credibility
noticed some on the list already had me really perplexed!
Rae on HF flank who is he? and if it's Farren well def did not play in a flag winning team!
But the ones that have got me completely nonplussed are Moyes and Mcleod?
Now with Mcleod something tells me he may have been on the list early on but i doubt it
and the only Moyes i know is the one that singlehandedly brought Manchester United to it's knees!
We had a Moyle as far i can remember but he clearly did not go elsewhere for a flag
so in the end i am left with those 3 questions!
This time in the morning i really should be spending my time doing other things
but couldn't help myself! Then there is T Brown? Also do not remember him playing elsewhere for a flag?

Sorry to be the pedantic tosser that points this out
but i actually find this sort of exercise strangely stimulating for my feeble brain!......:think:

Was going to point out Rice for the wing then noticed you have him in a back pocket!
Then thought maybe matty Lappin but he played in a GF for the blues but no cigar at the end!
By that stage i had already replied to your message and was left completely dumbfounded
not for the first time clearly! Then sorry for saying this but in a desperate attempt to regain some credibility
noticed some on the list already had me really perplexed!
Rae on HF flank who is he? and if it's Farren well def did not play in a flag winning team!
But the ones that have got me completely nonplussed are Moyes and Mcleod?
Now with Mcleod something tells me he may have been on the list early on but i doubt it
and the only Moyes i know is the one that singlehandedly brought Manchester United to it's knees!
We had a Moyle as far i can remember but he clearly did not go elsewhere for a flag
so in the end i am left with those 3 questions!
This time in the morning i really should be spending my time doing other things
but couldn't help myself! Then there is T Brown? Also do not remember him playing elsewhere for a flag?

Sorry to be the pedantic tosser that points this out
but i actually find this sort of exercise strangely stimulating for my feeble brain!......:think:
Hey mate I saw Rice as more of a wingman during his time at the saints rather than the blues, where he was more of a utility.

Stephen Rae was a half forward who played in the tigers 1973 premiership. He played for the saints in the 1971 grand final. Crossed over to the tigers with his good mate Ian Stewart.

Moyes and McLeod played in premierships in the early part of the 20th century so not much known about them.

Hey mate I saw Rice as more of a wingman during his time at the saints rather than the blues, where he was more of a utility.

Stephen Rae was a half forward who played in the tigers 1973 premiership. He played for the saints in the 1971 grand final. Crossed over to the tigers with his good mate Ian Stewart.

Moyes and McLeod played in premierships in the early part of the 20th century so not much known about them.
Well there you go!
Once again i've gone and shot my load too early!

Apologies my friend...I dips me lid to you....Well played!......:)

I don't do facebook so sorry if it's on that.. But do the Western Saints have a Grand Final function?
only when we are playing in the grand final ... but we did get a little bit of interest this year so it might be something we look into in the future

how good was he, i still remember the calls of craziness when the pies picked him up.
True. He was massive!
But only cause the coach put a pork chop around his neck mid season
just to get the other dogs at Collingwood to play with him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back