2nds 2018 Casey Demons Thread - Grand Finalists

Remove this Banner Ad

1 goal 4 behinds for Balic. Maybe it was windy? Both teams seemed pretty inaccurate for goal 6.10 to 11.18. Good to see he was 3rd best for us though. And that is best Casey player 2 weeks in a row for Stretch if I am not mistaken.

It's a bit disappointing when none of Tyson, Garlett or Hunt can crack the best six for Casey.

However of course I didn't actually see the game so would be grateful to hear any feedback from anyone that did?
I didn't see it but based on the updates it seemed like Hunt played a really good first half and then dropped off in the second.

I used to love Stretch in his first two years, thought he did all the basics extremely well, seemed really balanced and made good decisions and linked up really well.

However, the last couple of years I think he's tried to become this contested beast which he clearly doesn't have the frame for - I remember seeing a Casey game where he was at the bottom of every pack, he's now seemingly psyched himself out and his strength as a running link player has disappeared, along with his confidence.

I'm not sure if i can trust him anymore at AFL level, the game against Richmond he looked like a scared first gamer, just really didn't step up at the big moments, although it looks like he's really applying himself down at Casey and the coaches clearly love him.

In short, unless he magically grows 10cm and 15kg I don't want to see him anywhere near the coal face unless it's absolutely necessary

I used to love Stretch in his first two years, thought he did all the basics extremely well, seemed really balanced and made good decisions and linked up really well.

However, the last couple of years I think he's tried to become this contested beast which he clearly doesn't have the frame for - I remember seeing a Casey game where he was at the bottom of every pack, he's now seemingly psyched himself out and his strength as a running link player has disappeared, along with his confidence.

I'm not sure if i can trust him anymore at AFL level, the game against Richmond he looked like a scared first gamer, just really didn't step up at the big moments, although it looks like he's really applying himself down at Casey and the coaches clearly love him.

In short, unless he magically grows 10cm and 15kg I don't want to see him anywhere near the coal face unless it's absolutely necessary
I tend to agree with you but I am not prepared to give up on him just yet. It is hard to forget those first couple of years where it looked like he could be a really good player. So hopefully he can keep up the good work at Casey and maybe somewhere down the line he gets another chance back in the seniors.

Maybe stretch is the next guy who's career gets a boost but I can't see him making it AFL level. When your 3rd and 4th year has you regressing it's over.

He's basically a crap Neal Bullen.

I foresee another Port 'scrub the Melbourne off' attempt.

1 goal 4 behinds for Balic. Maybe it was windy? Both teams seemed pretty inaccurate for goal 6.10 to 11.18. Good to see he was 3rd best for us though. And that is best Casey player 2 weeks in a row for Stretch if I am not mistaken.
I think the game was at Williamstown, the ground is right on the water and it is usually windy.

So i wasn't at the game, but I was nearby for most of the day. Wasn't very windy. Nowhere near as windy as it can be at that ground.

Stretch has always been a contested ball winner in the VFL. He's played more inside than outside. He suffers the same sort of thing that JKH does. People look at him and go 'oh he must be a zippy winger seagull type'. Not true.

Even when he plays in the seniors a good deal of his possessions are contested.

Stretch has always been a contested ball winner in the VFL. He's played more inside than outside. He suffers the same sort of thing that JKH does. People look at him and go 'oh he must be a zippy winger seagull type'. Not true.

Even when he plays in the seniors a good deal of his possessions are contested.

Maybe Goodwin needs to reinvent Stretch as a different player in a different position. We don't need a small, average contested ball winner. Tyson can't even crack the team and he basically fits that exact description.

Can he play back or forward? I just can’t see where he could slot in anywhere on the ground though.

Maybe Goodwin needs to reinvent Stretch as a different player in a different position. We don't need a small, average contested ball winner. Tyson can't even crack the team and he basically fits that exact description.

Can he play back or forward? I just can’t see where he could slot in anywhere on the ground though.
Oh I agree. He's not the only player that gets played in different positions depending on whether he's in the seniors or not. Just a bit unlucky for him a suppose.

I actually think he has always been serviceable when he has played at senior level. Sure there might have been one or two games where it was suboptimal but players like Weideman seem to be given free passes for that all the time.

He's handy depth, usually gets is 18 or so touches. Uses it well when he gets it and has a knack for kicking a goal. Not much wrong with that, he's just well down in the order at present. No matter what position we play him in. And that's fine. He's 21.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately with Billy, if he wasn't Steven's son we (as a board) would possibly have given up on him like we have with JKH.

11 games in 2015, into 16, into 9, into 1 this year. Never averaged more than 20 disposals in a season.

Only four months ago, "BILLY Stretch's ability to push from end-to-end and transition quickly between attack and defence made him the standout during Melbourne's main training session at Maroochydore Sports Complex on Tuesday afternoon" so never say never, but it's no looking good.

He's signed until the end of next year, so if he has trade value this is the year to take advantage of it.

God I hope Brayshaw comes up. The difference between him and Stretch could be the difference between a win and a loss. Still have nightmares of watching Billy on ANZAC Eve.

Lots of excellent VFL players have looked like a deer in headlights at the next level.
yeah its a step up but you can only go on what you see. he looks the goods to me. Tyson had it on a string early. they should really be further in front but wasted it a few times going inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back