List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Stringer was 191cm, Rankine is 178cm, there's a pretty fundamental difference. Rankine doesn't appear to have the selfish traits Stringer always showed and Rankine's evasive skills are paralleled by exactly none in the AFL currently. Stringer really only has the edge over Rankine in terms of size, but even Rankine's strength for someone of his frame is impressive - (check out the vision at the 20s mark).

Don't know if I'm the first to make the observation but this Rankine reminds me strongly of one Jason Akermanis. That being so, if he is available at our first pick...look no further.

I really like the sound of Corbett, the combination of workrate and contested marking translates to a player that will be able to play a variety of roles within a forward group. Really fits into the Bevo versatility mantra and could even push up and play on a wing as a marking target. Still only 22 years old and between he and Gowers we'd have a couple of nice marking targets that can kick goals and influence the game up the ground. Hard to see us having access to him after picking at 5/6 and taking West but I think he'd be a good addition for us.

Hang on, I got slagged off severely just a couple of days ago for even suggesting that there could be state league players worth picking up.

To the trolls/slaggers/whoever, I know who your avatars are. If I see you getting on the Corbett bandwagon or any other state league player on this thread, watch out. You have defined your roles as cheering whoever is on our list at the moment regardless. I expect you to stick to that.

:p

Hang on, I got slagged off severely just a couple of days ago for even suggesting that there could be state league players worth picking up.

To the trolls/slaggers/whoever, I know who your avatars are. If I see you getting on the Corbett bandwagon or any other state league player on this thread, watch out. You have defined your roles as cheering whoever is on our list at the moment regardless. I expect you to stick to that.

No you got slagged off for wanting to trade out Wallis and Dahlhaus and pick up delisted free agents who are likely spuds

No you got slagged off for wanting to trade out Wallis and Dahlhaus and pick up delisted free agents who are likely spuds

Yet again, my friend, you engage in straw man arguments. I wrote about a whole raft of changes including state league players. I wrote about Wallis and Dahlhaus in the context of 1xRFA for West & Khamis points and the second RFA to get another second/early 3rd round pick (hey!!! that could be Corbett).

Yet again, my friend, you engage in straw man arguments. I wrote about a whole raft of changes including state league players. I wrote about Wallis and Dahlhaus in the context of 1xRFA for West & Khamis points and the second RFA to get another second/early 3rd round pick (hey!!! that could be Corbett).
Sorry bur you don't trade out quality experience for speculative draft picks or delisted free agents. Your proposal was one sure fire way to sink lower instead of rising

Sorry bur you don't trade out quality experience for speculative draft picks or delisted free agents. Your proposal was one sure fire way to sink lower instead of rising

Dahl and Wallis = quality experience. Agree. But I never said trade those two for DFA's. I tossed 1xRFA around as a way of ensuring getting both West jnr and Khamis (their stocks appear to be rising) and yes, I tossed the idea around of a second RFA for a speculative draft pick (hello, Corbett). I repeat, I never said RFA's for DFA's. That is totally misrepresenting my statements.

I gotta admit your trading strategy outlined sucked balls.

I have ten in the VFL including (Will Hayes) in multiple positions, ready for a selfie with Guelfi.

I gotta admit your trading strategy outlined sucked balls.

Fine. Forgive me if I have not read any of your posts on draft & trade strategy, but I would be interested in your thoughts on what we should do with the current list and recruitment at the end of the season.

Fine. Forgive me if I have not read any of your posts on draft & trade strategy, but I would be interested in your thoughts on what we should do with the current list and recruitment at the end of the season.
Sorry about being crude - that is genuine.

Keep: Dahl and Wallis. Roberts as back up.

Trade/Delist: Webb, Roughead, Biggs possibly Jong (if a decent draft pick was offered).

Wallis is solid and I don’t expect we are paying him Trengrove money.

Dahl, although he is slowing down and cannot kick over a jam tin, he is hard as a cats head. Think of him replacing Clay Smith in a successful Premiership side.

Last edited:

Trade/Delist: Webb, Roughead, Biggs possibly Jong (if a decent draft pick was offered).

Nothing wrong with a succinct, colourful expression to indicate you disagree with someone else's BigFooty opinion. I liked it!

Very interesting view re Dahl, Wallis, Roberts and Jong (decent pick trade only). I think Biggs is out of contract at the end of the season, maybe wrong on this. If we got a 3rd rounder for Roughead and for Jong and a 4th rounder for Webb that would go a long way to avoiding a large points deficit with the speculated draft strategy of 5, West jnr, Khamis. But we don't want to sell too cheaply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to come across a fellow poster who is not precious - refreshing. You are correct: Biggs is out of contract at the end of the season. I think Roberts is great back up for Adams in case he slips in the shower. He works well in a team defence and I can see him fitting in with Naughton, Wood, Roarke helping him out.

Wallis is solid and I don’t expect we are paying him Trengrove money.

Dahl, although he is slowing down and cannot kick over a jam tin, he is hard as a cats head. Think of him replacing Clay Smith in a successful Premiership side.

Agree, tougher than a woodpecker's lips.

Also has Bailey Smith at 2 as the best midfielder ahead of Walsh. I think West is going to cost us significantly more than we hoped.

He's overrating Smith and West massively. He's being too reactive to U18 Champs statistical production, Rozee is miles ahead of West. Miles. He just didn't spend time in the midfield because of SA's stacked team.

From the two games I have both seen them play Bailey Smith's kicking is not significantly better than Walsh's. In fact I'd probably have it the other way round. I also don't see the Jaeger O'Meara burst or acceleration he mentioned, to me he was caught a lot from behind when he tried to run with the ball from stoppage or a contest.

Glad to come across a fellow poster who is not precious - refreshing. You are correct: Biggs is out of contract at the end of the season. I think Roberts is great back up for Adams in case he slips in the shower. He works well in a team defence and I can see him fitting in with Naughton, Wood, Roarke helping him out.
Its all well and good keeping a player as backup, but if the coach refuses to play him then its pointless him being on the list.

Its all well and good keeping a player as backup, but if the coach refuses to play him then its pointless him being on the list.
Yep I agree. Somewhat perplexed with him being on the outer. If we do offload him someone will remember him from 2016 and we will get some fine draft points I would imagine. Remember how composed he was in the Prelim and GF?

He's overrating Smith and West massively. He's being too reactive to U18 Champs statistical production, Rozee is miles ahead of West. Miles. He just didn't spend time in the midfield because of SA's stacked team.

From the two games I have both seen them play Bailey Smith's kicking is not significantly better than Walsh's. In fact I'd probably have it the other way round. I also don't see the Jaeger O'Meara burst or acceleration he mentioned, to me he was caught a lot from behind when he tried to run with the ball from stoppage or a contest.
Bailey Smith is a top 6 player of that there is little doubt. Wouldn't rank him at 2 though.

I think that there are a few that are overrated a bit atm. Riley Collier-Dawkins being the prime example, he should be ranked about 20 atm. He isn't a top 10 pick right now.

Roberts was one of our two Premiership KPD's, he can play at the senior level there's no doubt about it. Premiership hero forever. But something has to give in KPD land, we have Roberts, Collins, Trengove, Adams, Young, Naughton with Morris and Cordy owning the 3rd tall back spots. Anyway, cheers.

Bailey Smith is a top 6 player of that there is little doubt. Wouldn't rank him at 2 though.

I think that there are a few that are overrated a bit atm. Riley Collier-Dawkins being the prime example, he should be ranked about 20 atm. He isn't a top 10 pick right now.

Agree with you on RCD to me he’s being pumped up because he’s stretchy armed and moves a bit like previous bolters in Oliver and Bont, but unlike those two he’s yet to put together a dominant patch of football.

You might be able to answer this Wizard, as you’ve seen more of Smith though he looks like a quality inside mid, is there anything that suggests he won’t be more than a win the hard ball accumulator/death by a thousand cuts type of player?

With a future Macrae/McLean/Dunkley/Hunter/West midfield who I think all to varying degrees also fit that description wouldn’t it be better to get someone like Rozee or even O’Hallaran who are a bit more damaging/look to do a bit more with the ball in their hands? (Obviously Rankine would be the perfect fit, but on talent there’s no way he gets out of the top three imo).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back