List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree.

It’s really simple just take best available.

It’s pretty clear at this stage that there is a clear top 5, then a bit of a gap. I don’t think Smith is in that top 5.

Now if Rankine pushes up the order as we expect, then we just have to take a King brother.

I tend to agree.

It’s really simple just take best available.

It’s pretty clear at this stage that there is a clear top 5, then a bit of a gap. I don’t think Smith is in that top 5.

Now if Rankine pushes up the order as we expect, then we just have to take a King brother.

If GC take the compo for Lynch they will have 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 so we will be pushed back to 6 at least (not accounting for Freo to drop below us as a possibility)

I’m not keen on the Kings.

Naughton, Cordy, Adams down back. Plus Moz, Young, Trengove.

Boyd and Schache up top. Gowers plays tall.

English in the ruck.

Need class up forward and Taylor has that in spades. Imagine getting him and Hill along with West and Buk..
I’m not keen on the Kings.

Naughton, Cordy, Adams down back. Plus Moz, Young, Trengove.

Boyd and Schache up top. Gowers plays tall.

English in the ruck.

Need class up forward and Taylor has that in spades. Imagine getting him and Hill along with West and Buk..

Lots of names but apart from Naughton (who no one wanted cos we got Trengove ????) and English not a lot of quality there.

Quality KPPs win you flags think Hawkins, Carey, Hall, Cox, Roughead, Riewoldt, Cloke.

Will be a lot easier to grab a gun mid in FA than a big forward ( we got lucky with Schache imo).

If Williams and Dunkley improving then Riley West and then add Richards and potentially Gowers, Lipinski and possibly Porter I reckon we have enough in there.

Sorry forgot Libba as well will be handy.

Last edited:

This is where draft night trading comes in.

We could take one of the Kings and trade Young or Adams for another pick.

Or trade King for 2 picks.

Live trading makes so much sense. Can’t wait.
Hawks trading their pick to the mavs made the draft night

I don’t think Smith is in that top 5.
The guy runs a sub 6.10min 2km time trial with speed from the contest, is a proven inside ball winner at all levels with excellent disposal by hand and foot, and is just as adept off a half-back flank as he is as an inside midfielder. I'd be very hard pressed to find many faults in his game.

I get what your saying it just scares me they could become best KP players in AFL and we overlook them like Tigers overlooked Franklin for Tambling and we took Griffen which I was ok about untill he pissed off.

Everyone talks about Richmond taking Tambling before Franklin but two years later Hawthorn took Mitch Thorp a pick before Joel Selwood

The 'best available' policy is flawed. The reality is no-one really knows how these kids will turn out and there is so little difference between pick 6 or pick 7, take the kid who suits your needs better. A choice between a King or Bailey Smith should be Smith every day of the week.

Lots of names but apart from Naughton (who no one wanted cos we got Trengove ????) and English not a lot of quality there.

Quality KPPs win you flags think Hawkins, Carey, Hall, Cox, Roughead, Riewoldt, Cloke.

Will be a lot easier to grab a gun mid in FA than a big forward ( we got lucky with Schache imo).

If Williams and Dunkley improving then Riley West and then add Richards and potentially Gowers, Lipinski and possibly Porter I reckon we have enough in there.

Sorry forgot Libba as well will be handy.
Who are the quality KPP's that won us the flag?

Everyone talks about Richmond taking Tambling before Franklin but two years later Hawthorn took Mitch Thorp a pick before Joel Selwood

The 'best available' policy is flawed. The reality is no-one really knows how these kids will turn out and there is so little difference between pick 6 or pick 7, take the kid who suits your needs better. A choice between a King or Bailey Smith should be Smith every day of the week.
Hawks also took Beau Dowler ahead of Paddy Ryder. All teams **** up. Richmond were terrible recruiters then they got 3 years right and bingo,hardly any injuries and the G helped too.

The guy runs a sub 6.10min 2km time trial with speed from the contest, is a proven inside ball winner at all levels with excellent disposal by hand and foot, and is just as adept off a half-back flank as he is as an inside midfielder. I'd be very hard pressed to find many faults in his game.

Awesome.

I also just watched highlights of Hatley. Really wouldn’t mind him too. Love his size, just a question if he is too similar to Dunkley??

But for team balance maybe Smith could be the best option of the two

This is where draft night trading comes in.

We could take one of the Kings and trade Young or Adams for another pick.

Or trade King for 2 picks.

Live trading makes so much sense. Can’t wait.

The format that has been mooted only allows for players that have been drafted on the night to be traded, as well as picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take Smith too but if he isn't available then King wouldn't be end of world.

We may be able to slide down the ladder into 15th by the end of the year and grab pick 4. We could then use this to attempt to get pick 2 or 3 in order to get Rankine. Kid will be a game changer. Also wouldn’t mind Rozee as I feel he will have a successful career if we cannot get our hands on a higher pick.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Smith or Rankine for me

Unless someone like Walsh drops (hard to imagine l know)

still keen on Rozee, disappointing champs for him though

l don't get the hype over Ben King either
he is about the same as talls from the previous few years

I have only seen the first qtr of the last game and highlights packages
Would it be fair to say Rankine may be Jake 2.0
Think Jake in 2015 seem to have similar traits, Jake but more power but similar results

I have only seen the first qtr of the last game and highlights packages
Would it be fair to say Rankine may be Jake 2.0
Think Jake in 2015 seem to have similar traits, Jake but more power but similar results
Well Stringer was 191cm, Rankine is 178cm, there's a pretty fundamental difference. Rankine doesn't appear to have the selfish traits Stringer always showed and Rankine's evasive skills are paralleled by exactly none in the AFL currently. Stringer really only has the edge over Rankine in terms of size, but even Rankine's strength for someone of his frame is impressive - (check out the vision at the 20s mark).

l don't get the hype over Ben King either
he is about the same as talls from the previous few years
I couldn't say I agree. I couldn't name another tall who would be at least a top 10 prospect as either a forward or a defender, let alone someone who can play both roles to equal aplomb. His ability to stay in aerial contests, even when the ball gets disrupted, is elite and assists his excellent contested marking, paired with his ridiculous size and wingspan and impressive general athleticism. Probably the most exciting feature of his game, for mine, is the fact that he has no bulk to his frame, in many ways a project player, yet his production at all levels has been consistently strong and shows great capacity to have big games, something guys like McCartin, Todd Marshall and Harry McKay all failed to do.

I couldn't say I agree. I couldn't name another tall who would be at least a top 10 prospect as either a forward or a defender, let alone someone who can play both roles to equal aplomb. His ability to stay in aerial contests, even when the ball gets disrupted, is elite and assists his excellent contested marking, paired with his ridiculous size and wingspan and impressive general athleticism. Probably the most exciting feature of his game, for mine, is the fact that he has no bulk to his frame, in many ways a project player, yet his production at all levels has been consistently strong and shows great capacity to have big games, something guys like McCartin, Todd Marshall and Harry McKay all failed to do.

Mate i dont watch these guys but I genuinely dont understand how you project out if a tall guy will kick on in seniors. Surely it isnt as simple as production levels and being skinny?

I mean clearly most of the pro recruiters don't seem to know any formula for predicting success.

It just seems a massive risk spending big on young talls. Patton, McCartin, Boyd and Weitering all say hi, so do Kreuzer and Josh Fraser...

I agree Ben King appears better than the guys you've named but after watching our VFL game (no mids) then watching us get smashed in the second half yesterday in the seniors I will be very disappointed if we don't take someone who has legitimate midfield scope.

I agree Ben King appears better than the guys you've named but after watching our VFL game (no mids) then watching us get smashed in the second half yesterday in the seniors I will be very disappointed if we don't take someone who has legitimate midfield scope.

We do have other picks which we can use on mids. We can't just stop drafting talls and assume the ones we have will all work out.

We do have other picks which we can use on mids. We can't just stop drafting talls and assume the ones we have will all work out.
Which other picks do we have?
At this stage we're a chance to be in points deficit for next year.
We can't just stop drafting mids and expect the ones we have to stay/remain injury free/work out.

At VFL level yesterday we had AFL listed two midfielders playing - Honeychurch who will be lucky to be on the list next year, and Porter who looks nowhere near ready.
Hunter is battling a knee knock and ideally we'd be able to rest Bont as his hip looks stuffed. Right now we'll ask one//both to play through injuries as the cupboard is bare. Our lack of running players is having a flow on effect.

Which other picks do we have?
At this stage we're a chance to be in points deficit for next year.
We can't just stop drafting mids and expect the ones we have to stay/remain injury free/work out.

At VFL level yesterday we had AFL listed two midfielders playing - Honeychurch who will be lucky to be on the list next year, and Porter who looks nowhere near ready.
Hunter is battling a knee knock and ideally we'd be able to rest Bont as his hip looks stuffed. Right now we'll ask one//both to play through injuries as the cupboard is bare. Our lack of running players is having a flow on effect.

We really need to put all guys carrying major injuries out for the year. Bont & Hunter being the two obvious ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back