• Melbourne – $1,085,881
    • North Melbourne – $1,001,931
    • Brisbane – $771,375
    • St Kilda – $710,803
    • Sydney – $684,370
    • Gold Coast – $409,975
    • Richmond – Not Available
missed some teams

What happened to Neckbeard? Was he at fat camp? Just saw he's started his pre-season. 10 days out from Round 1.

LMFAO.

My big footy app is playing up again , no longer giving notifications. This happened a few months ago so I reinstalled it , can’t be bothered to do it again .

Still looking forward to this season.
Give Your old mate Hal a call. Maybe he can fix it...
considering the amount of revenue collingwood make
they are very inefficient.
Considering their hype to flag ratio, they are extremely inefficient.

There is no doubting we are a small club compared to others.

Still looking forward to this season.

Correct weight, however it's not as dire as many would make you believe it is, as people often forget that clubs, ie Collingwood, did and do shed millions simply based on what markets are doing so there's a lot of variance to us being quite static at the moment. So it's more "sure" in some cases.

Really you'd expect us to be mid range at best, we're likely never getting the 70-80k members and the massive government ties ie Hawthorn but provided that we track as we have been in quietly gaining sponsors and growing slowly, we'll get to 50-55k and approach decent financial surplus.

I found a site that has interesting numbers for FY 2017.
I’ll post them here in a series of posts.
Sunny........thanks for posting the stats....absolutely fascinating numbers.....I then had a look at that site too.

The thing that grabbed my eye was the revenue/profits from the pokies and what effect it would have on certain clubs if there weren't any pokies.

I had a laugh at Kochies comments last week that aimed at Kennett about how much money the Hawks drain from the community.

The revenue/pokies revenue from some of the NRL clubs in NSW is eye watering.

From yr stats...plenty of catergories for the Saints to significantly lift in.

Sunny........thanks for posting the stats....absolutely fascinating numbers.....I then had a look at that site too.

The thing that grabbed my eye was the revenue/profits from the pokies and what effect it would have on certain clubs if there weren't any pokies.

I had a laugh at Kochies comments last week that aimed at Kennett about how much money the Hawks drain from the community.

The revenue/pokies revenue from some of the NRL clubs in NSW is eye watering.

From yr stats...plenty of catergories for the Saints to significantly lift in.

Yes, I agree but see St Fly’s post above.
I think that he encapsulates exactly how we may track.
My vote for Post of the Pre-season!
I am actually quite bullish about our business model now.
We are likely to see incremental gains rather than spectacular improvement.
Sure it may not be newsworthy, but it is certainly sustainable and inherently less risky.
In 10 years (at the end of this football cycle), we are going to be in a much better space.

There has been some discussion about how Moorabbin will improve our finances. Plugger66 arguing wins are more important than the relocation, others that the relocation itself will provide benefits.
Of course, both are right.

The synergy that the relocation will provide is untested.
But to give one small example: people here proffering the concept of watching games at the club. That did happen once. At Moorabbin. Doubtful it ever happened at Seaford. If the club manages to promote this concept again, and make Moorabbin a destination venue, then the relocation has been of benefit.
(I for one would watch games at the club if the atmosphere and facilities make it a positive experience). This is only one example, and the benefit to the club may be small. But there are undoubtedly other opportunities to be explored.
Each may be small, but incrementally significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but provided that we track as we have been in quietly gaining sponsors and growing slowly, we'll get to 50-55k and approach decent financial surplus.
Great call there StFly......I really too like how we're going about gaining sponsors etc quietly......Reflex paper joining a few weeks back a case to moot......it's all a great way of ensuring hopefully long term stable growth.

IMO....the commercial people at the Saints are doing a great job.....there must be heaps of behind the scenes work going on.

Since this time last year.......RSEA safety.........XBLADES.....Holman(who I know were extremely happy with their sponsorship last year)have all joined.

Dare and Pepper Money both weren't around in 2014.

It's all a great foundation to build on.

Correct weight, however it's not as dire as many would make you believe it is, as people often forget that clubs, ie Collingwood, did and do shed millions simply based on what markets are doing so there's a lot of variance to us being quite static at the moment. So it's more "sure" in some cases.

Really you'd expect us to be mid range at best, we're likely never getting the 70-80k members and the massive government ties ie Hawthorn but provided that we track as we have been in quietly gaining sponsors and growing slowly, we'll get to 50-55k and approach decent financial surplus.

I don't think it's impossible that we get a lot of memberships one day and head to a top 4 as far as memberships go. Hawks had a super successful era in the 80s and signed up a s**t load of kids at that time. I know a quite a few who's family weren't Hawks fans but they chose them on their success. They have had a very successful recent history so again will bank that in 20 years time. They were nearly amalgamated. Geelong too were a basket case and turned it around.

Carlton and collingwood had great luck being in the right place for when a lot of Greek and Italian immigrants arrived and set up in those inner city suburbs. They still have a huge amount of their supporter base from those families. We probably most closely resemble Richmond but they were fortunate enough to have successful 1980s to bulk up memberships.

I remember in one of those AFL questionnaires they claimed that the Saints had the biggest latent supporter base. Couple that with on field success and owning bayside as greater area and we should be able to jump up the order.

Sure it may not be newsworthy, but it is certainly sustainable and inherently less risky.
In 10 years (at the end of this football cycle), we are going to be in a much better space.

There has been some discussion about how Moorabbin will improve our finances. Plugger66 arguing wins are more important than the relocation, others that the relocation itself will provide benefits.

But to give one small example: people here proffering the concept of watching games at the club. That did happen once. At Moorabbin. Doubtful it ever happened at Seaford. If the club manages to promote this concept again, and make Moorabbin a destination venue, then the relocation has been of benefit.
(I for one would watch games at the club if the atmosphere and facilities make it a positive experience). This is only one example, and the benefit to the club may be small. But there are undoubtedly other opportunities to be explored.

If we can start playing finals again the sponsors will line up. We should look at the Chinese community and see if we can get a few companies on board -our colours work pretty well in chinese culture and as they try to build profiles and gain credibility in the australian market it could be a very good move.

I remember in one of those AFL questionnaires they claimed that the Saints had the biggest latent supporter base. Couple that with on field success and owning bayside as greater area and we should be able to jump up the order.
Great post there gringo.

Great post, just wanted to say that members definitely received specific invitations to watch games at Seaford. I went a couple of times. I still reckon there is a tendency for the media and supporters to exaggerate how bad Seaford is/was, but I nevertheless agree that returning to Moorabbin is a better move for the club.

Last edited:
Carlton and collingwood had great luck being in the right place for when a lot of Greek and Italian immigrants arrived and set up in those inner city suburbs. They still have a huge amount of their supporter base from those families. We probably most closely resemble Richmond but they were fortunate enough to have successful 1980s to bulk up memberships.
gringo.....seeing you highlighted the historical part of supporter bases......I remember my Mum saying that when they followed the Saints at the Junction(they lived in Ripponlea and would get the tram to home games) at that point of time...St.Kikda had the highest population density in Australia.

That could explain out large supporter/latent supporter base.

Great post, just wanted to say that members were definitely received specific invitations to watch games at Seaford. I went a couple of times. I still reckon there is a tendency for the media and supporters to exaggerate how bad Seaford is/was, but I nevertheless agree that returning to Moorabbin is a better move for the club.
I went down to Seaford 3 years running sverik25.......one game each year.......and had a great time.......the atmosphere was always great and usually a big crowd.....problem is,I didn't see us win in any of those 3 games........and now we move...lol.

Unless I missed it.....they didn't do that last season.....was curious as to why.

Would have loved to have been there if we'd one a game!

We should look at the Chinese community and see if we can get a few companies on board -our colours work pretty well in chinese culture and as they try to build profiles and gain credibility in the australian market it could be a very good move.
You've jolted my memory there gringo......I think it was during the 2015 or 2016 season....I read somewhere that the club was giving away memberships to Chinese students at Monash Uni I think it was,to encourage them to attend games and hopefully become members at a later date......don't know how all of that panned out.

Also, despite a very unsuccessful history, we obviously have the most loyal and staunch supporters as I'm sure I read recently that we have the highest member retention number in the league.

Carlton and Collingwood existed at a time when money could buy a flag or 2.

So their success had a direct influence on their memberships.

Had we won in 71 and mortgaged the future on a grand stand, and needed to sell players to survive, things might have been different for us.

I don't think it's impossible that we get a lot of memberships one day and head to a top 4 as far as memberships go. Hawks had a super successful era in the 80s and signed up a s**t load of kids at that time. I know a quite a few who's family weren't Hawks fans but they chose them on their success. They have had a very successful recent history so again will bank that in 20 years time. They were nearly amalgamated. Geelong too were a basket case and turned it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back