Analysis 2018 List Management discussion Part 1 (continued in Part 2 - see OP for link)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willo has played a few good games but runs the risk of being over hyped. Remember Paul Bower? In his first few years I thought as did many others that he was a CHB gun.

Kerr has done zero. Getting a game in the bottom side isn't an achievement.

Marchbank looks good if he can stay fit. Has an injury history.

Kennedy really? Form to date you couldn't rate him.

Gibbs was a good deal - tick. Query if LOB was the right call but seems like a great kid and sublime kick. So tick so far.

Lang - so far see Smedts.

Now this analysis is based on form to date only. Over time this may all change. But on form to date most of these are big busts

Have you seen any good signs for some of these guys? Kennedy, Kerr, Williamson? They are so young. All they need to do is show signs to give you some confidence. not kill games at this point.

Kennedy did that at GWS. Been injured at Carlton. The others have shown enough for a 'supporter' to grab hold off.

Cease and desist, you are dangerous!

Have you seen any good signs for some of these guys? Kennedy, Kerr, Williamson? They are so young. All they need to do is show signs to give you some confidence. not kill games at this point.

Kennedy did that at GWS. Been injured at Carlton. The others have shown enough for a 'supporter' to grab hold off.

Cease and desist, you are dangerous!

Why am I dangerous? Different opinions aren't dangerous - it is how you succeed.

I am not saying delist. I am saying it is too early to call them wins or loses

If you judged it at this point in time not taking into account future potential. Yes they would be. But let's hope time fixes tha
Yeah, nah... busts is way too far a stretch... pity u were making sense before that...a bust takes many years and is not lightly thrown round. Saying Marchbank, Kennedy or Willo is a bust now, is just plain wrong on a few levels...

Yeah, nah... busts is way too far a stretch... pity u were making sense before that...a bust takes many years and is not lightly thrown round. Saying Marchbank, Kennedy or Willo is a bust now, is just plain wrong on a few levels...

Not Marchbank or Willo.

Definitely not Marchbank. Shown enough to be A grade if over injuries

Kennedy I have never rated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think the GC would have an interest in CAS if Lynch leaves? They will need some support for 2MP and any KPF they draft as a Lynch replacement, throw in Jones as well.

Is it too much to ask for one of their many second rounders, a pick around the 30 mark for the pair. They already have 5 picks in the first two rounds with a compo on the way, they will be targeting players.

It would be a godsend if they did have an interest in Levi but I can't see it happening even though the rationale you have proposed is quite valid.

Having said that, I was just listening to the Macquarie Sports Radio in the car on my way home from doing my own radio show and they had a repeat of the Ox & Marko drive show which featured them talking about the changes to the rules for next year. It was all based on the match simulation that took place in Brisbane today & if their information is correct, then it will change the way the teams structure & Casboult may have a different value to what he has with us in 2018.

Also just wondering if anyone knows much about this Harris Andrews bloke? I don't watch any Brisbane games.

Drafted at Pick 61, 2 metres, in AA contention.

Is he better than all our KPPs as a prospect? Damn after going so hard for Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman...a bit sad to see other clubs find guns in the rough like that.
He was an academy player, and I still reckon some here overrate his closing speed.

Absolute gun. Brisbane would not trade him for pick 1. Will not leave Brisbane. Loves it there.
You seem fairly certain of this?

He's right. They've earmarked him as the future captain. He's quickly becoming the heart and soul of the club. Wise above his years and a genuine leader among his teammates in the age group. He's good in the community and shows a willingness for it. Given their retention issues they would be out of their mind to move him. It would take massive overs under the whole "nobody is untradeable" mantra. He's as untouchable to them as Cripps would be to us.

My only concern is that he has already taken major beltings. Not quite to the levels that Thornton and Jamo were exposed to, the game has changed since the era of the Jonno Brown's and Barry Hall's, but enough to bring some worry about super longevity into question (in my opinion).

He was an academy player, and I still reckon some here overrate his closing speed.

I am. Have some good relationships with people in some of the inter state clubs. Unfortunately none with Carlton people or players. I have some idea what Suns and GWS guys we have approached, but unless I hear it direct from player I take it with grain of salt.

He's right. They've earmarked him as the future captain. He's quickly becoming the heart and soul of the club. Wise above his years and a genuine leader among his teammates in the age group. He's good in the community and shows a willingness for it. Given their retention issues they would be out of their mind to move him. It would take massive overs under the whole "nobody is untradeable" mantra. He's as untouchable to them as Cripps would be to us.

My only concern is that he has already taken major beltings. Not quite to the levels that Thornton and Jamo were exposed to, the game has changed since the era of the Jonno Brown's and Barry Hall's, but enough to bring some worry about super longevity into question (in my opinion).

Yep great kid. Question is can he toughen up
Hipwood

Willo has played a few good games but runs the risk of being over hyped. Remember Paul Bower? In his first few years I thought as did many others that he was a CHB gun.

Gibbs was a good deal - tick. Query if LOB was the right call but seems like a great kid and sublime kick. So tick so far.

Now this analysis is based on form to date only. Over time this may all change. But on form to date most of these are big busts
Think Kerr is being marked very harshly from the weekends game .
Sure he made a couple of blunders but thats certainly not uncommon for what a 3rd gamer ?
He moves well which is clear as how on earth he managed 8 marks in that debacle on the weekend im not sure .
Also indicates he knows where to run to provide a target .
Definately think he has a future and when we finally address our small forward issues we'll see players like Kerr playing to their strengths . By not having to run after ground balls that should be mopped by our smalls but arent because theres not a player to be seen at their feet .

In no particular order, Clarkson would:

-turn our forwards into defenders
-punch walls
-call Andrew McKay a flog

After watching Carlton this year, all I'd need to do is turn our forwards into defenders and I'd be Clarkson.....*shudder*

#IMayBeShortButImNotAngry

Last edited:
I like Jones and don't want to trade him, but.....

IF we got Jeremy McGovern as a FA and could trade out Jones for pick ~25-30, that would be a huge win.

Not exactly like-for-like, but we'd get a player who is a major upgrade, a year younger, AND get paid a free pick for our troubles.

The only real cost would be salary cap, which we could easily afford - especially after you take out Jones's salary.

In their first three years did you include in a future best 22 any of the following:

Bower Bootsma Lucas Watson Mitchell McCarthy OKeefe Menzel etc.

I sure did. I remember the night of the Watson draft thinking we made out like bandits with our first three picks.

Maybe it history andpast experience causing my reservation

I hope you are right

It's hard to argue against this based on output to date alone, and you could add Andrew McInnes to the list of players I thought would become best 22.
However, I don't share your pessimism.
I've seen enough in a bottom aged Willo to think his ceiling is very high.
I've had a Syndesmosis injury coupled with bone bruising so I'm excusing the form of Kennedy & Marchbank this year.
Lang also has had an significant ankle injury and he is reaching the stage of his career that he will begin to produce good consistent football.
I have concerns with Kerr's mobility, but who knows?
I've got much more confidence in the recruiting & development of the clubs current football department than the previous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's hard to argue against this based on output to date alone, and you could add Andrew McInnes to the list of players I thought would become best 22.
However, I don't share your pessimism.
I've seen enough in a bottom aged Willo to think his ceiling is very high.
I've had a Syndesmosis injury coupled with bone bruising so I'm excusing the form of Kennedy & Marchbank this year.
Lang also has had an significant ankle injury and he is reaching the stage of his career that he will begin to produce good consistent football.
I have concerns with Kerr's mobility, but who knows?
I've got much more confidence in the recruiting & development of the clubs current football department than the previous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Depends how you look at Kerrs mobility with Casboult next to him in the forwardline i can see your concerns .
But do you think he's more mobile than Casboult id say yes?
Casboult wont be around much longer so Kerr will be working the forwardline with Curnow and Mckay who are very mobile so i suspect those concerns may disappear .

It would be a godsend if they did have an interest in Levi but I can't see it happening even though the rationale you have proposed is quite valid.

Having said that, I was just listening to the Macquarie Sports Radio in the car on my way home from doing my own radio show and they had a repeat of the Ox & Marko drive show which featured them talking about the changes to the rules for next year. It was all based on the match simulation that took place in Brisbane today & if their information is correct, then it will change the way the teams structure & Casboult may have a different value to what he has with us in 2018.

Value enough that we want to keep him, or value that another club might want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back