Autopsy 2018 NAB AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this may be still going tomorrow morning at this rate ...... this is a total fail of an idea this live trading thing all it does is make the draft go slower

AFL draft: Why Calder Cannons co-captain Jack Bytel looms as a steal
NOVEMBER 19, 2018TOUGH in the clinches and damaging on the outside, Jack Bytel is a prototype of the modern-day AFL midfielder.

The Calder Cannons co-captain is expected to be snapped up in this week's AFL National Draft despite back issues limiting his impact this year.

A product of the fertile production line at junior powerhouse Aberfeldie, Bytel highlighted his talents when he averaged 27 disposals and six tackles per game as a 17-year-old in the TAC Cup.

Matches such as his Round 16 effort against Eastern Ranges last year confirmed what most recruiters already knew - Bytel should be on their radar.

The 188cm, 82kg on-baller had 29 possessions, five marks and 15 tackles in a team which was beaten by 55 points, going toe-to-toe with future AFL players Jaidyn Stephenson, Ryley Stoddart and Dylan Moore.

I like to describe myself to clubs as a contested type of player, good around stoppages and I win clearances, Bytel said. I like to think you can build a midfield around the type of player I am, a contested player and a tall inside mid.

Likened to Sydney skipper Josh Kennedy and Port Adelaide captain Travis Boak, Bytel met with seven clubs at the AFL draft combine.

The 18-year-old has endured a testing year, sidelined early in the campaign with a back stress fracture and having to manage a bulging disc in the second half of 2018.

"It's been a tough year. If anything it's been a learning year" he said.

"I know it hasn't gone the way I wanted it to, but in saying that there's been a lot of good come out of it."

"With my injury, (I learned) a lot about resilience and patience. It's been the first big injury I've ever had. A lot of people talk about how it hasn't gone my way but I think in the long run I'll be thankful."

While his medical screening at the combine was "daunting", Bytel said the clubs he met with were understanding about his recent injury history.

"They were all very positive and understanding of my back. That's helped" he said.

A member of the AFL Academy, Bytel has been highly-touted for several years. While injuries may cause him to fall beyond initial predictions, the ball magnet looms as one of the steals of this year's draft.

"It's out of my control now and whatever happens, happens. I'm looking forward to it" he said.

Bytel averaged 22 disposals, three marks and six tackles in the TAC Cup this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back