2018 US Midterm Elections - DEMOCRATS WIN HOUSE, REPUBLICANS RETAIN SENATE

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just glad we have managed to stop the Russians rigging the House, they obviously concentrated on the Senate this time around. If we can somehow stop that, everything will be fine.

At least one more SCOTUS Justice before 2020
More to the point how many more conservative federal judges will be appointed over the next two years
All are currently appointed I believe. The 5 oldest on the 1st are Republican appointed. Second circuit has more democrat appointed judges reaching that age. Some are in their 80s. I'd say there are more republican nominated judges closer to death/retirement than Democrats, but who knows.

How about this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Morrow_Reavley

Not much it seems according to this:

Members of Congress do not automatically forfeit their offices upon conviction of a crime that constitutes a felony. No express constitutional disability or “disqualification” from Congress exists for the conviction of a crime, other than under the Fourteenth Amendment for certain treasonous conduct by someone who has taken an oath of office to support the Constitution. Unlike Members of the House, Senators are not instructed by internal Senate Rules to refrain from voting in committee or on the Senate floor once they have been convicted of a crime which carries a particular punishment. Internal party rules in the Senate may affect a Senator’s position in committees. Under the Senate Republican Conference Rules, for example, Senators lose their chairmanships of committees or ranking Member status upon conviction of a felony.

What I found interesting that voters identify themselves as 'registered...Rep, Dem, Ind etc'. This confused me do they have to do that?
The last bit re voter registration is for their primaries system, although I’m unsure if independents can vote in both (may differ depending on state)

I do wonder whether that part of the system contributes to partisan behaviour and division. Maybe a lot of Americans treat politics like a footy team (we could be accused of same on bigfooty)

Think if you check, she is a Senator with some Native American and thought the article was more about the House and Governors.

I imagine all of us would have some other DNA we don't know about, personally it doesn't bother me if she has or has not.
Yes but it upsets the native Americans, they have a view nearly identical to our first people that the various tribes arbitrate who is or is not part of their nations, the cherokees were most upset

Republicans retained the senate majority because of the pro Trump racist vote.Democrats need to distance themselves from the Clinton /Obama era and find a candidate who is a younger version of Bernie Sanders.The grass roots want action on climate change, universal health care and no white nationalism. Trump voters want white nationalism and an entertaining, anti-pc, tv celebrity.
That wont win as you saw in Florida if they had of ran an older white more conservative candidate they would have won the Gov easily

Very doubtful, atm Trump will win essily

I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion based on these results.

My stance has always been that Trumps re-election depends almost entirely on the Democratic nominee.

A decent candidate will see Trump comfortably swept from office. Another Hillary clone then big chance he is re-elected.

He has already sacked the AG, he will shut it down before the house takes its seats

Congress is tasked with oversight of the executive branch, so in theory the house can investigate anything they want, and you can be sure they will investigate plenty, up to and including whatever happens with Mueller in the coming days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Fake News” is one of the most brilliant inventions of our time.

Imagine all the other practical applications. A client complains to your boss - fake client. As you were. Council rates are due - fake bills. Happy days. Police pull you over - fake laws. Off you go.

On one hand the media deserve this sort of treatment.

On the other hand it is scary as s**t.

“Fake News” is one of the most brilliant inventions of our time.

Imagine all the other practical applications. A client complains to your boss - fake client. As you were. Council rates are due - fake bills. Happy days. Police pull you over - fake laws. Off you go.

On one hand the media deserve this sort of treatment.

On the other hand it is scary as s**t.
It's child-like behaviour.
I don't like it - so I won't acknowledge it. Until it bites you on the arse.
Trump really is a wretched person.

Isn't it horrible how the violent Trump supporters are rioting and attacking people after losing the house? Wait...

Gunning down innocents in a Synagogue,

Oh wait!

That was before the mid terms!

Unfortunately their are the 'frustrated' & 'angry' in all sectors of the political spectrum. But it doesn't help with the aggressive & pointed rhetoric from one large Orange lump.

Thats when the few fringe nutters start up. Thats the problem.

It's child-like behaviour.
I don't like it - so I won't acknowledge it. Until it bites you on the arse.
Trump really is a wretched person.

It is horrendous and it has allowed white supremacists in the USA to enter the mainstream and Trump has ridden their coat tails to the White House.

Any time he gets confronted with this or associated with the alt-right he simply dismisses it as "fake news" and his minions buy it. Cause guns and brown people and black helicopters :rolleyes:

The next presidential election is going to be ugly.

Well let's see if he even wants to run for President in 2020.
He's so contrary that he's just as likely to pull the pin and go back to his former life.
He's had a dream run in his first 2 years, let's see how he goes with a hostile House of Reps.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. US presidents running as incumbents have a records of 14-5.
It will be interesting to see if any decent Republican candidate runs against him in the primaries. That tends to change things up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back